Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
of their welterweight title fight in 20
Topic Started: Dec 5 2012, 08:08 AM (13 Views)
lingzi

BUFFALO, N. Jack Ham Jersey .Y. -- A five-minute YouTube video was enough to make quarterback Alex Tanney an overnight sensation for displaying his uncanny accuracy. Tanney created a big buzz last year in the self-titled "Trick Shot Quarterback" video by showing he can hit a receiver in a moving vehicle and throw footballs from across the court and swish them into basketball nets. He even banged a pass off the crossbar of an upright from 50 yards out -- from his knees. Now the Division III Monmouth College (Ill.) product will provide the Buffalo Bills a firsthand look to see whether he has a future in the NFL. After being passed up in the draft last weekend, Tanney has accepted an invitation to take part in the Bills three-day rookie minicamp that opens May 11. "Im from a small school, and the only thing Ive ever really wanted was an opportunity to get into a camp," the 23-year-old said by phone this week. "And now I have that in Buffalo, so Im anxious to get out there and compete for a spot." Turns out, the Bills werent the only team interested in the 6-foot-4, 220-pound quarterback who set an NCAA record with 157 touchdown passes over a five-year career with the Fighting Scots. Tanney initially agreed to attend the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie camp, but changed his mind after Buffalo extended an invite. He made the switch because he felt Buffalo was a better fit. Noting that Bills were among the first teams to contact him this off-season, Tanney added that hes spoken to Buffalos new quarterback coach David Lee on several occasions. Hes also aware that the teams No. 3 position is unfilled behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Tyler Thigpen. If one things for certain, Tanners accuracy shouldnt be an issue. In the video, Tanney bounces a pass off the floor into a trash barrel. He even threads a pass blind from the floor of the gymnasium up through a hallway and into a trash barrel on the floor of the schools adjacent running track. The video has received more than 1.1 million hits since Tanney and his friends posted it in February 2011, and led to him attracting national attention. Tanney showed off his throwing ability while featured on an episode of "Stan Lees Superhumans" on the History Channel. It also led to numerous television interviews, including ones in Japan, Israel, Argentina and Chile. Tanney would rather play down his YouTube popularity and instead focus on what he did on the field. "The success and the numbers I put up speak for themselves rather than the YouTube video," he said. "But obviously, thats what people are going to talk about." In 47 games, he completed 68.6 per cent of his passes going 1,205 for 1,756 with only 30 interceptions. He threw for 300 yards 32 times and finished with a Division III record 14,249 yards passing. Add it up, by NFL standards, Tanney finished with a 115.8 passer rating. And yet, he accepts his instant celebrity. "We really didnt expect it to take off like it did. It kind of blew up," Tanney said. "We had fun with it. It was a good experience. But I kind of think thats past me. Im just looking forward to getting my shot in the NFL." The son of a longtime football coach, Tanney has been a quarterback since he started playing. He figures he was overlooked by Division I programs because he played for a tiny high school that had only 170 students. And though he was hoping to be drafted, Tanney understood the possibility was unlikely. That makes him even more driven to succeed. "Ive had a chip on my shoulder basically throughout high school, college, coming from small schools and wanting to prove to people what I have," Tanney said. "Im anxious to get out to Buffalo and see what I can do there." Brett Keisel Jersey . -- Jeff Maggert and John Merrick shot 4-under 66 on Thursday to share the first-round lead in the St. Dermontti Dawson Jersey . The son of English Channel has won his last three starts and will break from the No. http://www.nikepittsburghsteelersjerseyssale.com/maurkice-pouncey-jerseys . The fifth-seeded Mayer took advantage of seven aces to get past Bagnis in just over an hour at The Fairmont Acapulco Princess. Mayer had four break opportunities and converted on three of them. Ben Roethlisberger Womens Jersey . Mark Scheifele and Alexander Burmistrov were among the notable players given assignments at other levels. Drafted seventh overall by the Jets in 2011, Sheifele was assigned to the Barrie Colts of the OHL. Cameron Heyward Jersey . The move was announced Thursday, one day after Johnson was removed from Baltimores game against the Los Angeles Angels after one at-bat.LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been doing this all his life, since he was a scrawny kid seeking solace in the gym. The ring is his comfort zone, and hell enter it Saturday for the 43rd time as a pro, certain as ever that when the night is through hell not only be a lot richer but still unbeaten. Miguel Cotto is certain of a few things himself. Certain that he has conquered his worst fears in boxing, certain that he can be the first one to conquer Mayweather. "I dont need anyone else giving me a chance," Cotto said. "If I can trust in myself, I dont need anyone else believing in me." Not many are, especially the oddsmakers who make Mayweather a 6-1 favourite in Saturday nights fight. But if any fighter is a live underdog its Cotto, a relentless puncher who believes in himself again after finally avenging a beating he took from Antonio Margarito four years ago that left him searching for answers about his chosen profession. Cotto stopped Margarito in their rematch in December, and will be defending his version of the 154-pound title against a fighter who knows how to promote a big bout almost as well as he knows how to fight one. "Nobody is invincible in life. I know that because I pass through this point in my life," Cotto said. "Im ready for anything Floyd brings me. The question is, is Floyd ready for anything Miguel can bring to him?" Mayweather has answered that question every time hes stepped in the ring as a pro, winning all 42 of his fights while becoming the biggest pay-per-view attraction in the sport. If he needs any added incentive to win this fight, it would be that it might make the nights pass easier when he goes to jail June 1 for what is expected to be a two-month sentence for domestic abuse. There are still questions, though, about why Mayweather doesnt fight Manny Pacquiao in the fight most boxing fans want, a fight that would be the richest in boxing history. Mayweather answered them in part earlier this week with a lengthy rant about how he believes Pacquiao uses steroids and that he wouldnt want to risk his health against him. "Writers are saying, Floyd is scared," he said. "No, Floyd cares about his family. Floyd is smart. At the end of the day, Floyd is smart. My health is important. My health is more important than money. They can take all the money and my health is more important. If they say, Floyd, you can live a healthy life like you is right now, or you got to walk with a limp, and walkk all bent over, but you can have a lot of money for the rest of your life, Id say, Take it all back. Rod Woodson Jersey. " Mayweather continues to insist he doesnt need Pacquiao, and he may be right. He gets the biggest cut of the revenues for all his fights, and he probably makes at least $30 million for this one. He may not be doing boxing any favours by not giving the sport a desperately needed fight, but hes doing fine for himself. "When I get in the ring its like, here we go again, its just another day," Mayweather said. "Ive got so much experience I can go to him if I want. I know when a fighter is starting to wear down and he will wear down." Despite the odds in his favour, theres a decent chance Mayweather could be challenged by Cotto, who will be fighting at 154 pounds for the fourth time and appears to be comfortable at the weight. Mayweather agreed to move up from 147 pounds to take him on in a scheduled 12-round fight from the MGM Grand hotel that will be televised on pay-per-view. Most in boxing, though, believe Cotto (37-2, 30 knockouts) is too slow for the slick Mayweather and will be unable to apply enough pressure to land effectively and often. They believe if he cannot get inside he will be easy pickings for the 35-year-old, who in recent fights has shown an inclination to fight more flat-footed rather than try to win by playing defence. Not surprisingly, the Puerto Rican boxer disagrees. "The only thing I can say is Im ready, and I am prepared for anything that happens in the ring," Cotto said. "Im going to work every second in there." Cotto is coming off a dominating performance against Margarito, who had stopped him in the 12th round of their welterweight title fight in 2008. It was the first loss for Cotto, who was also stopped the next year in the 12th round by Pacquiao. He said beating Margarito in the rematch not only redeemed himself in the eyes of his fans, but gave him his confidence back. "A lot of things got away from me," he said. "My confidence in myself, trust in my work. When I beat (Margarito) those things came back to me." Also on the card is a fight between Canelo Alvarez and 40-year-old former champion Shane Mosley. Alvarez, a 21-year-old rising star from Mexico who is unbeaten in 40 fights, will defend his piece of the 154-pound title against Mosley, who dropped a lopsided decision to Pacquiao in his last fight and was beaten by Mayweather two fights before that. ' ' '
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply