Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Horror Quote Of The Moment


Welcome to Under The Morgue.

We have sections for each decade of film, from the 1910s onward, as well as sections for 10+ major franchises, close to 50 'smaller' franchises (containing five entries or less), creative writing, independent filmmaking, photography, music, Non-Horror films and TV shows, forum games, and boredom busters, and to top it all off there's an IM shoutbox at the bottom of the page for random chat. From the tame and 'kid sister friendly' to the psychological and mindbending to cheesy splatter flicks to hardcore torture-oriented horror, there's something here for everyone, so why not dive in?

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sexual Assault Allegations Have Roiled Austin's Film Scene
Topic Started: Sep 27 2017, 01:41 AM (115 Views)
MacReadyOrNot
Member Avatar
Best Friend Character
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:
 
Editor's note: This post contains explicit language.

A series of sexual assault scandals has prompted an intense debate in Austin’s independent film community — and beyond — for the past year, reaching a fever pitch in the past few weeks. It revolves around the conduct of a pair of film bloggers and the handling of allegations against them by Tim League, the founder and CEO of the Austin-based Alamo Drafthouse.

The scandals began about a year ago, when Devin Faraci, then the editor in chief of the Drafthouse-run film blog Birth.Movies.Death, tweeted a reaction to the release of a tape of Donald Trump bragging about sexually assaulting women...

A Twitter user with the handle @spacecrone replied to the tweet, accusing Faraci of grabbing her by the vagina...

The user, who identified herself only as Caroline to the Hollywood Reporter at the time, said the incident happened at a bar in New York in 2004...

The allegations brought calls for the Drafthouse to fire Faraci, who resigned as editor in chief of Birth.Movies.Death shortly thereafter...

Fast-forward to earlier this month, when George Hickman, a member of the Austin film community, pointed out that Faraci was writing for the website of the Drafthouse’s Fantastic Fest...

At least one Drafthouse employee, Fantastic Fest programmer Todd Brown, resigned in protest over the whole ordeal. In his resignation letter, according to IndieWire, Brown pointed to the “callous disregard for the impact” of rehiring Faraci...

On Sept. 23, IndieWire reported that Austinite Jasmine Baker made allegations that another Drafthouse-connected man had sexually assaulted her at a Drafthouse event.

Baker said Harry Knowles, the founder of the film/TV/comics news site Ain’t It Cool News and a co-founder of Fantastic Fest, assaulted her at an event in 1999 or 2000...

In a letter today, Tim League said the Drafthouse is no longer in business with Knowles.

“Moving forward, we have severed all ties with Harry Knowles and he is no longer affiliated with the company in any capacity,” he wrote. “We are striving to better respond to allegations of sexual assault and harassment, and will take actions so those who work at the theater or attend as a guest are not made to feel unsafe.”

Meantime, the Austin Film Critics Association announced it is kicking Knowles out of the group...

There were rumors last week that Tim League planned to resign, but League denied this on Twitter.

League said he is skipping this year’s Fantastic Fest, which goes until Sept. 28, to travel around to Alamo Drafthouse locations across the country and listen to some of the company’s 4,500 employees’ feelings about what has happened over the past year.


Source: http://kutnews.org/post/sexual-assault-allegations-have-roiled-austins-film-scene-heres-what-happened
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Vanessa
Member Avatar
Madman
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can't think of any response to this other than "duh." The news about Harry Knowles especially is one of the least surprising things I've ever read.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Kevin R.
Member Avatar
Stoner Guy
[ *  *  * ]
I remember some people were posting his review of Blade II after the allegations came out. I'll... well, I'll let you read it for yourself.
Spoiler: click to toggle

The guy who wrote that turning out to be more than a bit grabby? Who'da thunk it?
Posted Image

My blog: Kevin's Review Catalogue
All reviews, A-Z
Latest review: Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Lon Of The Dead
Killer's Therapist
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm sure at this point most have heard about the controversy concerning Kevin Spacey. If not...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/30/entertainment/kevin-spacey-allegations-anthony-rapp/index.html

But I'm not convinced Spacey deserves all the backlash he's getting. He's being accused of attempting to distract from the accusation by confirming the long-lived rumors regarding his sexuality. But surely if he wanted to distract from it, he wouldn't mention it at all...?

He's also being accused of insinuating all gays are pedophiles. I don't get from his response at all. He never once draws any kind of parallels. He simply says he didn't remember the incident because he was drunk, and that if he did do as his accuser alleges, he naturally feels his apology is long overdue. I don't see anywhere in his statement where he says "all gays screw kids."

Also, how does what he did qualify as an "assault"? He entered the room, picked the kid up, took him to the bed and kissed him. Assault implies some kind of violence or force was involved; this sounds like Spacey was, as his accuser himself calls it, trying to be seductive. The accuser said he left before things could go further than that.

Now, apparently the two met at a Broadway function and Spacey invited him to the party. My question is -- did Spacey know the kid was only 14? If he did, then yes, that would qualify as, if not assault, at least attempted molestation. In which case yeah, drag him through the coals with Weinstein, Trump and the rest. But if he didn't know the kid was only 14, the worst he can be accused of is being drunk and trying to get laid.

So, does anyone else think all the backlash is a bit too much? Or am I, in my heterosexual ignorance, missing a finer point of gay culture here?
Edited by Lon Of The Dead, Oct 31 2017, 06:35 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · News And Current Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply