Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
World; What do you want to know?
Topic Started: 25th March 2013 - 01:19 PM (121 Views)
Regler
Member Avatar
Supreme Campaign Commissar
Do you have any questions about the world? A better understanding means a better game and better characters.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zacube
Member Avatar

Where would a Dwarf character most likely come from?

Regler
Member Avatar
Zacube
28th March 2013 - 11:24 AM
Where would a Dwarf character most likely come from?
To the South of Prutilnia in the Zirolov Mountains. Prutilnia has a culture roughly similar to that of Eastern Europe.

A map is attached with the mountains labeled.

EDIT: Note, however, that those dwarves are simply the most likely to be going to Port Winchell from Sjon-De-Mar, not all dwarves live there.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: emlith_with_zirolov.jpg (127.96 KB)
Edited by Regler, 3rd April 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Matriarkka

Still thinking of character concepts. Some questions to see if I can get anything interesting out of them.

Just to clarify, when you say that it's technologically similar to the Renaissance, is that including medicine? On an only somewhat unrelated note, what of the art world?

Is plant life particularly interesting in the world? Or is it analogous to normal plant life.

What sort of animals or beasts are kept as domesticated pets?

(I will try to ask this question every game until it works) What is the state of the occult in this world? Do people go for false fortune tellers and soothsayers, or does the magic invalidate that sort of thing?

I'll double post if I can think of anything else. I'm not really sure what direction I want to go with yet.

Regler
Member Avatar
Matriarkka
1st April 2013 - 09:12 PM
Still thinking of character concepts. Some questions to see if I can get anything interesting out of them.

Just to clarify, when you say that it's technologically similar to the Renaissance, is that including medicine? On an only somewhat unrelated note, what of the art world?

Is plant life particularly interesting in the world? Or is it analogous to normal plant life.

What sort of animals or beasts are kept as domesticated pets?

(I will try to ask this question every game until it works) What is the state of the occult in this world? Do people go for false fortune tellers and soothsayers, or does the magic invalidate that sort of thing?

I'll double post if I can think of anything else. I'm not really sure what direction I want to go with yet.
The medicine is somewhat more advanced, more scientific, about the Victorian era. The art world is more similar to the art world of the renaissance, very colorful, with the beginnings of Rococo beginning to show in the architecture of the Europe-esque areas.

There is some interesting plant life, not much, but some megaflora such as has gone extinct today. Cycads remain common in most areas, and some large mosses are used as groundcover. There is a mix of flora from far in the past of Earth mixed with modern plant life.

Domestic animals are similar to those in classic DnD. However, there are more pet birds and reptiles, and some extinct reptiles are kept as pets. Refer to the Beginners section of How to Keep Dinosaurs for reference. Longisquama for example.

The occult is commonplace and regulated, but some charlatans and hucksters slip through. So while there are legitimate occultists and fortunetellers, there are also false ones who dodge the audits or slip past inspections. For the non-magical, it can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference.
Edited by Regler, 1st April 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Regler
Member Avatar
A map of Port Winchell has been posted to the World page. Check it out!
Edited by Regler, 3rd April 2013 - 10:09 PM.

Matriarkka

What sort of racial distribution is there? What races do you more commonly see doing things in the overworld? Mainly humans, or is it more diverse than that?

Also, standard D&D Deity list?
Edited by Matriarkka, 6th April 2013 - 09:45 PM.

Regler
Member Avatar
Matriarkka
6th April 2013 - 09:42 PM
What sort of racial distribution is there? What races do you more commonly see doing things in the overworld? Mainly humans, or is it more diverse than that?

Also, standard D&D Deity list?
The races that tend to a lot of business are humans, dwarves, elves, orcs, and lizardfolk, with humans tending towards grassland, dwarves tending towards mountains and other places of exposed rock, elves tending towards forest, orcs tending towards desert, and lizardfolk tending towards water. The cities tend to have lots of social mixing of these races, with the requisite half-elf-style combos resulting (and not just with the other half being human). Humans are non-dominant, and are the minority in some places. In the case of lizardfolk, to compensate, civilized life has dulled the talons and claws that make them so formidable in normal 3.5. (Ability bonuses to prospective lizardfolk will be provided exactly as soon as I can make them). Races are not necessarily national, although of course various areas have different proportions. However, at this late stage, nationalism has replaced racism for most.

Different deities will be used, but until I can get around to them, use the archetypal deities from pages 7-12 of the Classes document of the D&D Next source for a base until I get back to you.
Edited by Regler, 7th April 2013 - 07:53 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Out-Of-Character Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply