Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome To The Christian Fellowship Forums
Add Reply
Do I Have to Go to Church to Be a Christian
Topic Started: Aug 23 2017, 01:44 PM (73 Views)
CoramDeo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Do I have to go to church to be a Christian? We’re used to hearing the contrast between a personal relationship with Jesus versus going to church or joining a church. We are familiar with evangelistic presentations where that’s actually said. ‘I’m not inviting you to join a church, but to have personal relationship with Jesus.’

The thing that we need to think about here is about the role of the church in God’s plan for creation, redemption, and eternity. The Father chose each of us to be part of the church. That is Christ’s bride and body. To be united to Christ is to be united to his church. First of all, the church is the heart of God’s plan from before time. Secondly, Christ gave his life for his church. Thirdly, the Spirit unites us to Christ, the head, and therefore to his body. You can’t be united to Christ without also being united to his visible church. Fourthly, Christ delivers himself to sinners now by the ministry of the church. We never leave that ministry until we die. And then finally, the church is the everlasting society of God, our forever family. The church never goes away.

Source: Michael Horton, Whitehorse Inn (https://www.whitehorseinn.org/2017/08/whi-1376-do-i-have-to-go-to-church-to-be-a-christian/)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brother_Jim
Member Avatar
Network Owner
[ * ]
Amen well put

RabbitRedeemed
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I believe we are called as believers to gather together. With that, to be a "it's just me and Jesus" person isn't doing anything to grow the body of Christ or to share the gospel. I don't want to get to the end of my race and have Him say: what did you do with what I gave you, to honor me?

bhjoe
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Nicely said.

CoramDeo
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I saw this on Twitter. Our conversation lately has centered around the need to be in fellowship in a local church. This image tells us the reasons:

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bible Doctrine · Next Topic »
Add Reply