AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
help im bringing my green cheek conure home on tuesday; advice
Topic Started: Jul 14 2011, 08:56 AM (2,922 Views)
sligy
Member Avatar
Hi,
Im getting my green cheek conure "Connie" from a pet shop on tuesday, he/she has been there for about 6 months maybe longer and i fell in love and started paying weekly for him/her i have not had her out the cage yet but she does come to the cage and gentle nibble my finger when i see her.
Anyway, i want to get connies care right so want to list a few questions please as have never owned anything other that budgies before!
1. How long should i leave her in her cage before i try to touch or stroke her when i bring her home?
2. How much fruit and veg will she need each day and how much variety?
3. Should i put lots of toys in or not, as she does not have many in the pet shop im wondering if they will scare her and was thinking i should maybe add them later?
4. Should i keep the house quiet and not use the hoover and things for a few days or carry on as normal?
Sorry i know there are lots of questions but i want to get it right im really excited to be finally bringing her home!
Also any important things i should know will be most appreciated!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rrenfro
Member Avatar
Welcome to CC, and congrats on your future baby. First off, she will probably need a bit of settling in when you first bring her home, each conure is diferent, but in general it is best to be gentle about it, maybe lower the lights a bit, play some soft music, and hang around her cage as much as you can, talking to her, maybe reading or singing, whatever you like. Keep an eye on her body language, she will let you know when she wants to interact, and once she gets calmed down you might try leaving her cage door open to let her explore the room, with your supervision of course.

As for fruit and vegetables, i offer mine a little vegetable mix everyday, it will take a bit to learn how much, but in general no more than they can eat in an hour or so, that way it doesnt have a chance to spoil. Fruit i give a bit more sparingly, a few pieces a day or every other day, as it has more sugars than the vegies. Toys are also different for every bird, i suggest that you try a simple mix of toys, a few foot, some puzzle, a shreddable, some wood chewys, a few at a time until you figure out what she likes to play with. This will save you from spending money on a ton of toys that she may not end up ever touching. I would let her get settled in a day or so before starting to expose her to really loud sounds like your hoover, most birds actually love loud noises, but having it too early can startle her and caused some injury. After a while i'm pretty sure she wont have much problem with it, mine sure don't, i vacuum my birds room every day and the only things that run off are the cats :D .

sligy
Member Avatar
Thanks for the advice, i cant wait to pick her up! I have been visiting her weekly at the pet shop and i cant wait to be finally getting her home she is always sat i her cage racing up and down the front of it to grab your attention and she had been there so long i could not resist getting her!
One more question, i have bought her some toys but only have about 5 different things at the moment but i will get more later on, but i was wondering will she be able to use baby toys, i have loads of rattles and things like that and was wondering if this will be any good?

kermits
Member Avatar
hi and welcome congratulations on your new conure a bet you are so excited. the baby toyus should be ok but a conure is very good a chewing and breaking things as long as the toys don't have any bits she can chew of and swallow easily. :)

rrenfro
Member Avatar
And as long as the baby toys aren't too large or heavy for her to handle, small rattles might make great foot toys, but if they are to heavy for a little gcc to move around then she might lose interest pretty quickly.

Dusky
Member Avatar
Hi and Welcome to Conure Crazy !

Congrats on picking out your conure . I am sure you can't wait to get Connie home . We call our Dusky Conure "Connie" , even though he is a male and his real name is Conrad . We just like the name Connie for a conure :)

I feed my birds a good variety of pellets , fruits , veggies , and a few treats . I usually give them a fruit ir a veggie daily , either one or the other .

My birds love the vacuum , they try to scream over it then they usually end up taking a bath right after . I know my birds are weirdos ..... lol

sligy
Member Avatar
one day to go yay, i have just set her cage up and put a rope climbing thing i bought in the pet shop , a big parrot bell which looks like it may be a bit big and a parrot rope toy with wood bricks on it up. i have put a selection of perches up, i have a pedicure perch, 2 wooden ones and a metal one that came with the cage. I have put a few hand held toys in as well including a little ball with a bell in it a bit like a ball you give cats. Also i have hung some food treats up one of them things on a stick with honey, pellets and fruit on it and some millet.
A strange question but do parrots need grit shell stuff like budgies do? Im gonna get her one of those special fruit and veg holders tomorrow when i get her aswell. Really excited.

Dusky
Member Avatar
Very exciting !! I do not know what kind of grit shell stuff you used for the budgies , what was the name of it ?

Tomorrow should be a fun Day for Connie :)

sligy
Member Avatar
Well i picked up connie in the morn and left her in the cage but by the evening she was raceing up and down her cage and bobbing her head so i let her out.
She took bout a hour before she left the cage and flew strait onto me. Now i have had her for a few days she is very tame letting me stroke her and she chases me all around the house which im amazed by as the people at the pet shop said she didnt like people when the cage door was open.
She will eat pretty much anything i offer her too and really likes grapes and lettuce she also likes to sit on the top of my mug when i have a cup of tea. Anything im eating she is trying to take out my hand too. she is very sweet.
The only problem i have with her is that sometimes when i ask her to move off me she will nip my hand. She lets me stroke her but as soon as you want to put her back in her cage or move her when her nails are scratching she nips any suggestions on how to stop this would be great.
Anyway im very pleased with her and cant wait till she is properly settled in

sligy
Member Avatar
Hello i just thought i would let you all know how we are getting on.
:)
Well connie is very cute and so trusting, she chases me all around the house and has finally got to like the kids too which is nice as she went thru a nippy stage but was worse with the kids.
I just kept putting her in her cage and ignoring her for 10 min when she bit too hard and that seems to have worked.
She races up and down her cage whenever she see's me and has also taken to one of my budgies. So i let them out to play together they like climbing all over the curtains chasing each other.
I tend to let her out in the morning for a couple of hours and she helps me eat my breakfast and tidy up lol, then i put her in because im scared that with the kids running in and out from the garden she will walk out the door and get lost, then i let her out when we all have lunch and put her back until about 5 and then she stays out with me till i go to bed.
She loves to try anything im eating and steals it from my hand, and her fave toy is toilet paper which i thought was strange.
She also copy's noises i make and bobs up and down dancing lol
Anyway im so glad i got her shes such a great pet, she loves playing with the kids and my youngest daughter thinks she's great because she likes sitting in her dolly pram and loves playing with her barbies :D I would deffo recommend a green cheek conure to anyone with kids. Sorry i have rambled on a bit but i really wanted to let you know how happy i am with her i cant wait to see her little personality grow as she gets to trust me more. I will send some photos there not very good i cant get her to sit still long enough to get a nice one.
Oh and to answer duskys question the budgie grit i use is just called bird grit its bagged by the pet shop i use. I have looked on the net about that one and it said not to give to parrots so thats cool i have sorted that query :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Bringing Home Your Conure · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds