AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Simon's new ladder
Topic Started: Apr 10 2012, 03:07 PM (384 Views)
8ravioli
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I bought Simon a new ladder that goes from his cage all the way to the floor silly bird still fluttters to the floor and then climbs up the ladder when he's done running around on the floor....Look really close those of you that have experience and tell me if you think he is molting? I see about 5-10 feathers a day on the floor for the last week or so...some with green which I never saw before...and I think I saw a couple pin feathers coming in. Maybe that is why he has been a little grouch for the last week...he wants to be near me, follows me around but if I pet him he bites me........Anyway I hope it is molting and not plucking, as it happened the same time as we lost our little doggie.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20120410_183330.jpg (1.56 MB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dusky
Member Avatar
Nice ladder and cage ! I am glad to hear he really likes using his ladder .

A few feathers around daily are usually the signs of molting . Just keep an eye on him to make sure they aren't being plucked , but i doubt he is plucking . My birds re molting right now with the change of weather coming into spring .

SkittleBug9719
Member Avatar
I tried doing the ladder to the floor before but Mojo's cage is too tall right now. Silly boy loves to go on the floor and go exploring around my house :wub:

Anyway yeah he's probably moulting right now. There are a few things you can do to help him out like making sure you have humid environment to help making the pins break up easier. You could also try using a misting bottle but my birds think they are getting punished whenever I use mine so I just use a humidifier close to their cage. You can also try helping him with removing the coating around the pins but I don't really advise you doing that seeing as how if you do it wrong you can end up hurting your bird. What I do is I just lightly pinch the pins between two nails and let it fall off. If your bird reacts that means you are doing it wrong, it tends to take some trial and error.

kermits
Member Avatar
awe

8ravioli
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Right now there is no touching him, so can't really pinch his pin feathers for him. I will keep misting him with tepid water though, he doesn't mind being misted, and he gets regular baths too. How long will the typical molting period last? He is about 2 weeks in.

8ravioli
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
So I also added one of those huts yesterday. He seemed to really like his corner snuggy so I thought maybe he would like this more. So far he sits on top of it and sticks his head in the opening but hasn't gotten all the way in...He isn't afraid of it though and he uses his beak to shake it...he has also hung himself upside down from it...such a clown. He also seems to like to rub on it, I am sure he is so itchy while he is molting...wish i could help him with his pins but that isn't happening at least this go round......
If I thought he wouldn't harm it I would buy him a parakeet to help preen the tough areas but I don't know how that might work???
Attached to this post:
Attachments: simon_hut__244x135_.jpg (47.05 KB)

SkittleBug9719
Member Avatar
Moulting times differ greatly bird to bird and it depends upon what the bird's environment is. Just keep misting him and hope it ends soon I guess. I don't see the problem in getting a parakeet because in theory they should bond to each other. There of course could be issues with introducing another bird to his cage but hey it might work, just remember to quarantine the new bird for at least a week in a separate room just to make sure the bird doesn't have any diseases.

8ravioli
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Ok...I might just go do that the breeder I got him from has keets too...they will come from the same place so do they still need to quarantine?Since Simon goes there to get his toes trimmed and visit? When we visit he goes on this huge play stand with other birds but not the keets, usually there are other Conures, or a Quaker and I think last time there was a baby Macaw. Mostly they ignore each other and play. Do I get the parakeet clipped or leave it free flighted?

SkittleBug9719
Member Avatar
You should still quarantine regardless if they came from the same breeder its best to be safe than sorry. And clipping is up to you, maybe you should keep it fully flighted just in case the keet needs to make a speedy get away.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Your Conures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds