AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Conure attacking. HELP!; My Conure suddenly attacking my other Conure
Topic Started: Dec 6 2012, 08:36 PM (645 Views)
fyrstdaywalker
Member Avatar
I need some help you guys. I have two conures, ones a Dusky (Ryoku) and the other is a cherry headed/blue crown (Mango). I have had both of them for three years. The Dusky is three months older then the other. For three years now they have been getting along great. Of course a little bickering back and fourth here and there but nothing major. This morning I wake up and they are both fine, take them out for a couple of hours then put them back in their cage so I can go shopping. When I come back I let them both out again. Almost right away they started fighting. The first two times I thought nothing of it until I actually caught Mango attacking/charging at Ryoku. This happened the rest of the afternoon whenever Ryoku would get close to Mango. I noticed that Ryoku has a cut on the right side of his beak. Ryoku isn't even starting anything, he is just being attacked. I don't know what I'm going to do for the night since they both sleep in the same cage. I have one in the cage and the other out of the cage at the moment but I can't keep them like that. I'm glad it happened today while I was off because tomorrow I'll be working all day. Does anyone know why this could be happening? I give them both the same amount of attention, feed them the same treats. Neither one gets babied more then the other. Any advice?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dusky
Member Avatar
Very difficult to say what is causing Mango to attack . Sometimes my Dusky will attack my Sun Conure for no reason at all , and they have their little battles but still are housed together and get along great . Although the attacks do not sound as bad as what you have explained with a cut on your Dusky Conure though .

If the fighting persists you may have no choice but to separate them . Sometimes when birds are scared of a certain object they will attack their cage mate . I call this "Misplaced aggression" . My Dusky does this to my Sun when he see's something he is scared of , like if we enter the room with an object he has never seen or a bag , or item he is afraid of . He will attack his cage mate relentlessly until we leave the room with the item .

Is there anything new in the room that may be causing your bird Mango to be afraid and causing the attacks ?? Anything they have never seen before they may be afraid of possibly ?

Other than that i can not say exactly what would possibly cause this attacking unless they are getting extremely hormonal , and they may be attacking because of it . Just a thought .

Keep and eye on them because birds can kill each other if it gets bad . Worst case you may have to separate them for awhile to see if this is just a phase that passes by . Hopefully someone else can add their thoughts on what they might have experienced in a possible situation like yours .

BUUZBEE
Member Avatar
Administrator-Web Owner
Good Morning... and I'm hoping its a good morning!
how did it go last night and today?

fyrstdaywalker
Member Avatar
I went to Walmart late at night last night to buy a cage to separate them. It was a small cage but its better then nothing. When I let them out in the morning Mango was still attacking Ryoku so I kept them separated all day, came home for lunch and switched their cages. As long as I'm watching them carefully Mango doesn't attack him.

I did some research last night and from what I've read its most likely that they are reaching sexual maturity. Like Dusky said up there, its probably hormones. I looked around the room and there is nothing new. If it keeps up I'll have to get the other big cage out of storage this weekend and keep them separated til this phase ends. Sheesh if I get this upset over birds not getting along how am I going to be when my fiancee and I have kids haha. Thanks for the help and comments you guys.

kermits
Member Avatar
i hope your two do get along together again eventually .
i had a similar problem with my parrotlets on several occasions, while they were still young they would get along fine them all of a sudden one parrotlet would start attacking the other and i would have had to seperate them, a example recemtly dinkgy and spike were housed together for a couple of years and then one day i came home from work and they were both covered in blood, spike had a horrific injury under his wing so i had seperated them, now and they are fine.i hope you mange to get your two back together.

fyrstdaywalker
Member Avatar
Thank you for your concerns everyone. They are doing fine now actually. Night before last before I went to put them to bed while I was watching a movie, I had them both out of the cage keeping an eye on them. Next thing you know they both go into the cage and stuff themselves in their lil happy hut together without fighting. Only small problem now is that even though Mango isn't attacking anymore, any time Mango starts walking towards Ryoku, Ryoku makes a lil cheep and runs the other way thinking he's going to be attacked. I'm sure that will take a little while before his fear goes away again. I wonder if Mango stopped because he didn't want to sleep outside of his normal bed anymore. He probably though one night and a whole day in that small cage was not worth it. Anyway, Thanks again you guys I really appreciate your concerns. =)

kermits
Member Avatar
i am glad to here that

Lil-birdy
No Avatar
Hi. I just started having that same problem this past weekend with my green cheek and cinnamon cheek conures. my gc was lonely and aggressive so last year I adopted Peppy. Liam and peppy became great friends and mates. just this weekend peppy all the sudden attacked Liam for no reason. that's never happened. I couldn't leave them alone 5 min before it looked like peppy was killing Liam. I separated them friday night and woke up to peppy laying an egg in the carry cage which turned out to be a dud. there was nothing to suggest (except the sudden attacks the day before) that she was going to do that. fast forward to today and they'll be all cutesy with each other for awhile but that doesn't last too long and I have to separate them again. the attacks are not as frequent anymore and I don't see peppy laying anymore eggs. I too don't know why the attacks are happening or for how long I have to have them separated. I do have 3 parakeets that I integrated into the large cage to keep liam happy since he's a social bird. peppy is fearless and usually only interested in stuffing her face and chilling out on my shoulder at night. every other day I switch the two so they have equal time in their favorite big cage. Any one know what I should do or why this is happening?

conure58
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Nessie and flock..

Spring is hormonal season, so that may be what's going on there. I know some birds get a bit cranky this time of year. Mine used to, but I think the older they get the less hormonal they become.. :D

Lil-birdy
No Avatar
seems to be the only thing that fits so far. guess I'll keep an eye on them awhile longer and see what's happening. tonight they are separated since peppy was plucking feathers off Liam's chest. I'd cuddle that bird if he weren't a biter. I don't know why that bird has an issue with my hands.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Conure Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds