|
February-March 2016 Terror Thread
|
|
Topic Started: Feb 3 2016, 03:17 AM (364 Views)
|
|
Webster
|
Feb 3 2016, 03:17 AM
Post #1
|
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
- Posts:
- 50,368
- Group:
- Admins
- Member
- #1
- Joined:
- Apr 21, 2014
|
MSN News: Taliban Gun Down 10-Year Old Militia Hero

- Quote:
-
KABUL, Afghanistan — The Afghan government declared Wasil Ahmad a hero for leading a militia’s defense against a Taliban siege last year, parading him in front of cameras in a borrowed police uniform too big for him. On Monday, the Taliban triumphantly announced that they had assassinated him with two bullets to the head. Wasil Ahmad was 10 years old.
He was gunned down in Tirin Kot city, the capital of southern Oruzgan Province, just a few months after leaving militia life and enrolling in school as a fourth grader.
Wasil’s story is a painful example of how child combatants continue to be a part of life in Afghanistan, both in the ranks of pro-government forces and among the Taliban insurgents.
Rafiullah Baidar, a spokesman for the Afghan independent human rights commission, said that despite strict orders from President Ashraf Ghani last year against using children in the military, his commission continues to receive reports of child soldiers in the Afghan forces, particularly in the Afghan Local Police militias. The Taliban, he said, used child soldiers, too, in recent fighting in places like Kunduz and Badakhshan, in the northern part of the country.
Mr. Baidar said the provincial government had broken the law by parading Wasil in a police uniform after the Taliban siege was lifted. But he also condemned the Taliban’s killing of Wasil because the boy had moved to a civilian life.
“There was no threat from this child to the armed opposition,” Mr. Baidar said. “If they had targeted him in a military base, then they could have raised the question of what was a child doing in a military base. But he was targeted in front of his home.”
...continued in next post....
|
|
|
| |
|
Replies:
|
|
Webster
|
Mar 21 2016, 02:00 AM
Post #16
|
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
- Posts:
- 50,368
- Group:
- Admins
- Member
- #1
- Joined:
- Apr 21, 2014
|
Fox News: Paris Terror Suspect Abdeslam Planned More Attacks, Official Says

- Quote:
-
BRUSSELS – The top suspect in last year's Paris attacks told investigators after he was captured that he was planning new operations from Brussels and possibly had access to several weapons, Belgium's foreign minister said Sunday.
Salah Abdeslam had claimed that "he was ready to restart something from Brussels, and it's maybe the reality," Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said.
Reynders gave credence to the suspect's claim because "we found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons in the first investigations, and we have seen a new network of people around him in Brussels."
Abdeslam, captured Friday in a police raid in Brussels, was charged Saturday with "terrorist murder" by Belgian authorities. He is a top suspect in the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead.
Abdeslam was wounded during the raid, and a senior Belgian police official said that he was shot in the leg as he ran toward officers outside an apartment in the Molenbeek neighborhood.
The head of Belgium's special federal police unit, Roland Pacolet, told broadcaster RTL that one hypothesis being studied by police was that the suspect wanted to commit suicide.
"When someone comes out running toward the police, we have to ask ourselves some questions. What did he have in mind? What was he going to do? Either he wanted to get killed by the police, or he wanted to blow himself up near the police," Pacolet said. He said that Abdeslam was unarmed.
Speaking to security experts at a German Marshall Fund conference in Brussels, the foreign minister said "we have found more than 30 people involved in the terrorist attacks in Paris, but we are sure that there are others."
Reynders urged European intelligence, law enforcement, and border authorities to exchange more information to help track the suspects down.
Interpol also has called on European countries to be vigilant at their borders, saying Abdeslam's accomplices may try to flee after his capture. The international police agency recommended closer checks at borders, especially for stolen passports. Many of the Nov. 13 attackers and accomplices traveled on falsified or stolen documents
-Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/21/paris-terror-suspect-abdeslam-planned-more-attacks-official-says.html
|
|
|
| |
|
Webster
|
Mar 28 2016, 01:48 AM
Post #17
|
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
- Posts:
- 50,368
- Group:
- Admins
- Member
- #1
- Joined:
- Apr 21, 2014
|
Al Jazeera English: Dozens Killed In Pakistan Bombing

- Quote:
-
At least 65 people - mostly women and children - have been killed at a crowded park in Pakistan in a suicide blast that also wounded more than 300 people, officials said.
A faction of the Pakistani Taliban, Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, later claimed responsibility for the attack in the eastern city of Lahore and said that it was aimed at Christians.
Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder, reporting from the capital Islamabad, said Christians were celebrating Easter Sunday at Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, which is popular with families, when the bomber blew himself up a few metres from a children's play area.
On Monday, authorities said they would launch a manhunt for those behind the attack after Jamaat-ul-Ahrar issued a direct challenge to the government.
"We want to send this message to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that we have entered Lahore," a spokesman, Ehsanullah Ehsan, said. "He can do what he wants but he won't be able to stop us. Our suicide bombers will continue these attacks."
The group claimed responsibility for several big attacks after it split with the main Pakistani Taliban in 2014. It declared allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant but later said it was rejoining the Taliban campaign.
"We must bring the killers of our innocent brothers, sisters and children to justice and will never allow these savage inhumans to over-run our life and liberty," military spokesman Asim Bajwa said on Twitter.
TV footage showed children and women standing in pools of blood outside the park, crying and screaming as rescue workers, officials, police and bystanders carried injured people to ambulances and private cars.
The bodies of those killed continued to arrive at the city's hospital morgues early on Monday, where worried friends and family also looked for and registered loved ones still missing. But local media reported that many of the bodies were being kept in hospital wards as morgues became overcrowded.
"I was a few blocks away from the blast," witness Mian Ashraf told Al Jazeera. "Many people were running and screaming like the world has collapsed. Until when will we see our loved ones getting killed in such attacks?"
Other witnesses said they saw body parts strewn across the ground once the dust had settled after the blast.
"When the blast occurred, the flames were so high they reached above the trees and I saw bodies flying in the air," said Hasan Imran, 30, a resident who had gone to the park for a walk.
-Read more: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/03/deadly-blast-hits-pakistan-lahore-160327143110195.html
|
|
|
| |
|
Rinku
|
Mar 28 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #18
|
- Posts:
- 6,047
- Group:
- Members
- Member
- #54
- Joined:
- Aug 3, 2015
|
- Webster
- Mar 28 2016, 01:48 AM
Al Jazeera English: Dozens Killed In Pakistan Bombing - Quote:
-
At least 65 people - mostly women and children - have been killed at a crowded park in Pakistan in a suicide blast that also wounded more than 300 people, officials said.
A faction of the Pakistani Taliban, Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, later claimed responsibility for the attack in the eastern city of Lahore and said that it was aimed at Christians.
Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder, reporting from the capital Islamabad, said Christians were celebrating Easter Sunday at Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, which is popular with families, when the bomber blew himself up a few metres from a children's play area.
On Monday, authorities said they would launch a manhunt for those behind the attack after Jamaat-ul-Ahrar issued a direct challenge to the government.
"We want to send this message to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that we have entered Lahore," a spokesman, Ehsanullah Ehsan, said. "He can do what he wants but he won't be able to stop us. Our suicide bombers will continue these attacks."
The group claimed responsibility for several big attacks after it split with the main Pakistani Taliban in 2014. It declared allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant but later said it was rejoining the Taliban campaign.
"We must bring the killers of our innocent brothers, sisters and children to justice and will never allow these savage inhumans to over-run our life and liberty," military spokesman Asim Bajwa said on Twitter.
TV footage showed children and women standing in pools of blood outside the park, crying and screaming as rescue workers, officials, police and bystanders carried injured people to ambulances and private cars.
The bodies of those killed continued to arrive at the city's hospital morgues early on Monday, where worried friends and family also looked for and registered loved ones still missing. But local media reported that many of the bodies were being kept in hospital wards as morgues became overcrowded.
"I was a few blocks away from the blast," witness Mian Ashraf told Al Jazeera. "Many people were running and screaming like the world has collapsed. Until when will we see our loved ones getting killed in such attacks?"
Other witnesses said they saw body parts strewn across the ground once the dust had settled after the blast.
"When the blast occurred, the flames were so high they reached above the trees and I saw bodies flying in the air," said Hasan Imran, 30, a resident who had gone to the park for a walk.
-Read more: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/03/deadly-blast-hits-pakistan-lahore-160327143110195.html STOP THE CALAMITY!!!
|
|
|
| |
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
|