Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]


Welcome to Conversations. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
March 2016 Ankara Bombing Thread
Topic Started: Mar 13 2016, 02:56 PM (40 Views)
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Fatal Explosion At Ankara Transit Hub

Posted Image
Quote:
 
An explosion has ripped through a transit hub in Ankara, killing at least 27 people and wounding 75, the city’s governor has reportedly confirmed.

The large explosion appears to have engulfed a bus and several cars, near to Güvenpark, in the Kizilay neighbourhood of the Turkish capital on Sunday evening.

The office of Ankara’s governor said at least 27 people had been killed in the blast, Associated Press reported. A security official also said the explosion was likely to have been caused by a suicide car bombing.

Pictures posted on social media immediately after the incident appeared to show a bus almost completely destroyed, and several nearby vehicles on fire. Police have closed the area and emergency services are responding to the incident.

A reporter at the scene for HaberTurk said: “The explosion occurred on Atatürk Boulevard at a place where there are 10 bus stations.

“There is a vehicle that is mostly destroyed. It is impossible to give any numbers of those who were wounded, but there are many and burning cars.”

The Turkish government has reportedly ordered a media blackout on the blast, with locals unable to access Facebook or Twitter.

Less than a month ago a car bomb killed 29 people and wounded at least 60 others in Ankara. A militant Kurdish group subsequently claimed responsibility for the attack.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Links of interest....
Wikipedia: March 2016 Ankara Bombing
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:
 
(CNN) Turkish media is reporting an explosion occurred in the country's capital of Ankara.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yahoo 7 News (Australia): Many Injured In Ankara Blast

Posted Image
Quote:
 
Ankara (AFP) - A suicide car bomb ripped through a busy square in central Ankara Sunday, killing at least 27 people and wounding 75, officials said, the latest in a spate of deadly attacks to hit Turkey.

The blast in Kizilay square is the second major attack in the heart of the Turkish capital in less than a month, after a suicide car bombing on February 17 targeting the military that killed 29 people, claimed by a dissident faction of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

The fact that militants were able to strike again so soon in an area close to the prime minister's office, parliament building and foreign embassies will raise fresh questions about Turkey's ability to manage the twin security threat posed by the Islamic State group (IS) and Kurdish rebels.

Ambulances ferried the wounded from the square, a bustling commercial area and local transport hub, to 10 different city hospitals.

The bomber struck at around 6:45 pm (1645 GMT) and the force of the explosion -- which the CNN-Turk news channel said killed 23 people instantly -- reduced several vehicles to charred husks and damaged nearby shops.

The provincial governor's office said the death toll stood at 27, with 75 wounded.

"The blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives close to Kizilay square," an official statement said.

A security official told AFP that initial findings showed the blast was a suicide attack.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu chaired an emergency meeting of security chiefs in the wake of the blast, Dogan news agency reported.

- Security warning -
Turkey has been on high alert following a string of deadly attacks since the middle of last year, most of them blamed on the IS group, including a double suicide bombing in Ankara in October that left 103 people dead.

As recently as Friday, the US embassy issued a warning about a possible plot to attack part of central Ankara, advising American citizens they should avoid the area.

Sunday's blast comes at a delicate moment for Turkey, as it seeks to persuade the European Union to speed up its path to membership of the bloc in return for help with the migrant crisis.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), linked to the PKK, said it carried out the February bombing in Ankara as revenge for operations by the Turkish military in the southeast of the country and warned foreign tourists not to visit.

A two-year ceasefire between the government and Kurdish rebels collapsed in the middle of last year and since December security forces have been waging a major campaign against the PKK in the southeast of the country.

Strict 24-hour curfews were imposed in a number of Kurdish-dominated towns and cities to allow the military and police to pursue the battle against fighters who had dug trenches and put up barricades.

Sunday's attack came hours before curfews were due to take effect in two more towns in the southeast as a prelude to fresh military operations.

Authorities said restrictions would be slapped on Yuksekova, near the Iranian border, and Nusaybin, on the frontier with Syria, to "restore order and security" following an increase in "terrorist activity".

Ankara has vowed to wipe out the PKK, classed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and its Western allies, and has said "clean-up" operations in Yuksekova, Nusaybin and Sirnak, a third Kurdish city, are imminent.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Times of Israel: Car Bomb Kills At Least 27 In Turkish Capital, Dozens More Wounded

Posted Image
Quote:
 
ANKARA, Turkey — A suicide car bomb ripped through a busy square in central Ankara Sunday, killing at least 27 people and wounding 75, officials said, the latest in a spate of deadly attacks to hit Turkey.

The blast in Kizilay square is the second major attack in the heart of the Turkish capital in less than a month, after a suicide car bombing on February 17 targeting the military that killed 29 people, claimed by a dissident faction of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).

The fact that militants were able to strike again so soon in an area close to the prime minister’s office, parliament building and foreign embassies will raise fresh questions about Turkey’s ability to manage the twin security threat posed by the Islamic State group (IS) and Kurdish rebels.

Ambulances ferried the wounded from the square, a bustling commercial area and local transport hub, to 10 different city hospitals.

The bomber struck at around 6:45 pm Turkish time and the force of the explosion — which the CNN-Turk news channel said killed 23 people instantly — reduced several vehicles to charred husks and damaged nearby shops.

The provincial governor’s office said the death toll stood at 27, with 75 wounded.

“The blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives close to Kizilay square,” an official statement said.

A security official told AFP that initial findings showed the blast was a suicide attack.

Dogan Asik, 28, said he was on a bus when the explosion occurred.

“We were thrown further back into the bus from the force of the explosion,” said Asik, who sustained injuries on his face and arm.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu chaired an emergency meeting of security chiefs in the wake of the blast, Dogan news agency reported.

Turkey has been on high alert following a string of deadly attacks since the middle of last year, most of them blamed on the IS group, including a double suicide bombing in Ankara in October that left 103 people dead.

As recently as Friday, the US embassy issued a warning about a possible plot to attack part of central Ankara, advising American citizens they should avoid the area.

Sunday’s blast comes at a delicate moment for Turkey, as it seeks to persuade the European Union to speed up its path to membership of the bloc in return for help with the migrant crisis.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), linked to the PKK, said it carried out the February bombing in Ankara as revenge for operations by the Turkish military in the southeast of the country and warned foreign tourists not to visit.

A two-year ceasefire between the government and Kurdish rebels collapsed in the middle of last year and since December security forces have been waging a major campaign against the PKK in the southeast of the country.

Strict 24-hour curfews were imposed in a number of Kurdish-dominated towns and cities to allow the military and police to pursue the battle against fighters who had dug trenches and put up barricades.

Sunday’s attack came hours before curfews were due to take effect in two more towns in the southeast as a prelude to fresh military operations.

Authorities said restrictions would be slapped on Yuksekova, near the Iranian border, and Nusaybin, on the frontier with Syria, to “restore order and security” following an increase in “terrorist activity”.

Ankara has vowed to wipe out the PKK, classed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and its Western allies, and has said “clean-up” operations in Yuksekova, Nusaybin and Sirnak, a third Kurdish city, are imminent.

In the deadliest bombing ever on Turkish soil, 103 people were killed and more than 500 wounded in twin suicide bombings targeting a pro-Kurdish peace rally in Ankara in October last year.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · The News Hub · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Aquös by tiptopolive of the ZB Theme Zone