Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]


Welcome to Conversations. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 4
2016 Charlotte Police Shooting Thread
Topic Started: Sep 21 2016, 02:09 AM (77 Views)
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Protesters clash with police in Charlotte after fatal shooting of black man

Posted Image
Quote:
 
Protesters have taken to the streets in Charlotte, North Carolina, clashing with police after the fatal police shooting of a black man earlier in the day.

Keith Scott, 43, was shot and killed by Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer Brentley Vinson, who is also black, after being mistaken for a wanted man.

Police said officers went to a Charlotte apartment complex around 4pm looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they encountered Scott, who was not the suspect they were looking for, inside a car.

According to department spokesman Keith Trietley, officers saw the man get out the car with a gun and then get back in. When officers approached the car, the man got out of the car with the gun again. At that point, officers deemed the man a threat and at least one fired a weapon, he said. A weapon was recovered by detectives at the scene.

According to police, officers immediately began rendering aid after the shots were fired. Scott, a father of seven, was pronounced dead at Carolinas Medical Center.

The police version is at odds with that of Scott’s family who have insisted that he was disabled, sitting in his car reading a book, and had no gun. “He sits in the shade, reads his book and waits on his kid to get off the bus,” Scott’s sister told reporters. “He didn’t have no gun, he wasn’t messing with nobody.”

In a video posted to Facebook Live from the scene, Scott’s daughter Lyric repeatedly can be heard yelling at investigators on the scene not to plant a weapon in Scott’s vehicle. “Because that’s what the fuck y’all do,” she said in the emotional video.

Tuesday night as protests swelled, police used tear gas to attempt to disperse crowds heard yelling “Black lives matter,” and “Hands up, don’t shoot!” One person held up a sign saying “Stop Killing Us”, and another sign was seen reading “It was a book”.

In statements the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department distinguished between “agitators” and “demonstrators”, blaming the former for damaging police vehicles and causing injuries to at least a dozen officers. One officer was reportedly struck in the face with a rock.

Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts tweeted on Tuesday night: “I will continue to work with our manager & Chief on officer involved shooting. We are reaching out to community to ask for calm.”

Police blocked access to the area, which is about a mile from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, as protesters gathered after the shooting.
Video from WCCB-TV in Charlotte showed police in riot gear stretched across a two-lane road confronting protesters at the apartment complex later in the night. Some of the officers flanked the main line on one side of the road.

The shooting comes quickly on the heels of the death of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man shot by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Both incidents are just the latest in a summer that has been fraught with tensions between law enforcement and black and activist communities outraged by police killings of black people.

Officer Vinson, who has been with the department for two years, has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in such cases.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Replies:
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Several local publications, including Charlotte Magazine and WCNC, have pulled their reporters out of uptown, where the clashes are taking place.

Posted Image
--When we stress safety when reporting in the field, we mean it. Back window of news vehicle smashed during protest in North Charlotte (Dan Yesenosky, WCNC Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)

--We are moving location. 4 protestors threatened to smash our vehicle if we didn't leave #WCNC #CharlotteProtest (Ty Chandler, WCNC Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) North Carolina governor Pat McCrory has just issued the following statement on the events in Charlotte, saying that State Highway Patrol officers are en route to Charlotte to assist the city police department: I want to assure the people of North Carolina that our SBI has already been assisting the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department throughout the last 24 hours.

Upon a very recent request of Chief Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to further help the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department.

The state has many additional assets nearby to assist.

Any violence directed toward our citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated.

I support and commend the law enforcement officials for their bravery and courage during this difficult situation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Correction - civilian shot earlier is not dead
--The city has just corrected their earlier announcement that the person shot at the protest had died.

~~CORRECTION UPDATE: Civilian who suffered gunshot wound during protests is on life support, critical condition. Not deceased. (City of Charlotte, 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) The information that the person shot earlier had died came from the Charlotte-Mecklenberg police chief Kerr Putney.

“Our police chief had gone and said it - [but] the information that were getting right now is the injuries were not fatal,” a city official just told the Guardian.

Asked where the incorrect information that the police chief said, the city official said “we’re trying to figure that out right now. Obviously its a fluid situation with a lot of information [coming in] at one time.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) The night continues to be dangerous for reporters.

--One of our crews was attacked in Uptown. Reporter & Cameraman taken by ambulance to hospital. (Mike Hanson, WCNC Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) The Guardian’s Matt Teague is on the scene: Police have divided the intersection where the shooting happened --- Trade and College -- into quadrants, and are slowly pushing protesters back with tear gas.

The situation is see-sawing between uneasy calm and frantic activity, as police continue to fire tear gas into groups of protesters.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--#WCCB witnessed protesters try to throw still photographer into fire in Uptown #Charlotte (WCCB Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--Governor McCrory declares State of Emergency (Office of NC Governor Pat McCrory, 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--“John” from Charlotte was in the Marines for 4 yrs and kept a gas mask that dates to the 80s. “I’m still serving my country,” he said. (Matthew Teague, The Guardian - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--McCrory said Police Chief asked for SOE. "We cannot tolerate violence, we cannot tolerate the destruction of property" and attacks on police (Langston Wertz, Charlotte Observer - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Fox is officially withdrawing its crews from uptown Charlotte, the area that has seen protests turn violent this evening, following other news organizations including the local NBC affiliate and Charlotte Magazine.

--We are officially evacuating all of our FOX crews from uptown Charlotte. National Guard en route, SWAT sent out, protests escalating. (Bill Melugin, WJZY Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
...watching the local channels atm; the riots have spilled over onto I-277 (the Brookshire Freeway) and are trying to stop vehicles transiting the highway...there are also rioters walking along the roadway, trying to block the interstate....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--@Photog20WLTX and I are at Presbyterian Hospital in downtown Charlotte. After he was punched and I was tackled by agitators. (Mary Sturgill, WLTX Columbia SC - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Earlier, Rakeyia Scott, wife of Keith Scott, whose death at the hands of police sparked the past two nights of protest, put out a statement.

“As a family, we respect the rights of those who wish to protest, but we ask that people protest peacefully,” she said.

The statement in full:

Posted Image
--Here is the earlier statement from the wife of #KeithScott asking for peaceful protests @wsoctv (Joe Bruno, WSOC Charlotte - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--LIVE NOW: Protesters on I-277 stopping traffic and surrounding vehicles. AVOID. (WBTV Charlotte, 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The News Hub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 4

Aquös by tiptopolive of the ZB Theme Zone