Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]


Welcome to Conversations. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 3
2016 Charlotte Police Shooting Thread
Topic Started: Sep 21 2016, 02:09 AM (76 Views)
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Protesters clash with police in Charlotte after fatal shooting of black man

Posted Image
Quote:
 
Protesters have taken to the streets in Charlotte, North Carolina, clashing with police after the fatal police shooting of a black man earlier in the day.

Keith Scott, 43, was shot and killed by Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer Brentley Vinson, who is also black, after being mistaken for a wanted man.

Police said officers went to a Charlotte apartment complex around 4pm looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they encountered Scott, who was not the suspect they were looking for, inside a car.

According to department spokesman Keith Trietley, officers saw the man get out the car with a gun and then get back in. When officers approached the car, the man got out of the car with the gun again. At that point, officers deemed the man a threat and at least one fired a weapon, he said. A weapon was recovered by detectives at the scene.

According to police, officers immediately began rendering aid after the shots were fired. Scott, a father of seven, was pronounced dead at Carolinas Medical Center.

The police version is at odds with that of Scott’s family who have insisted that he was disabled, sitting in his car reading a book, and had no gun. “He sits in the shade, reads his book and waits on his kid to get off the bus,” Scott’s sister told reporters. “He didn’t have no gun, he wasn’t messing with nobody.”

In a video posted to Facebook Live from the scene, Scott’s daughter Lyric repeatedly can be heard yelling at investigators on the scene not to plant a weapon in Scott’s vehicle. “Because that’s what the fuck y’all do,” she said in the emotional video.

Tuesday night as protests swelled, police used tear gas to attempt to disperse crowds heard yelling “Black lives matter,” and “Hands up, don’t shoot!” One person held up a sign saying “Stop Killing Us”, and another sign was seen reading “It was a book”.

In statements the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department distinguished between “agitators” and “demonstrators”, blaming the former for damaging police vehicles and causing injuries to at least a dozen officers. One officer was reportedly struck in the face with a rock.

Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts tweeted on Tuesday night: “I will continue to work with our manager & Chief on officer involved shooting. We are reaching out to community to ask for calm.”

Police blocked access to the area, which is about a mile from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, as protesters gathered after the shooting.
Video from WCCB-TV in Charlotte showed police in riot gear stretched across a two-lane road confronting protesters at the apartment complex later in the night. Some of the officers flanked the main line on one side of the road.

The shooting comes quickly on the heels of the death of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man shot by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Both incidents are just the latest in a summer that has been fraught with tensions between law enforcement and black and activist communities outraged by police killings of black people.

Officer Vinson, who has been with the department for two years, has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in such cases.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Replies:
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) This has been a slightly chaotic night for communications for the city of Charlotte, as at times the right hand has appeared to act without consulting the left hand.

First, the police chief announced the death of someone at the protest in “civilian on civilian” violence, but that had to be retracted after it turned out to be inaccurate.

Then, Jennifer Roberts, the mayor of Charlotte, reportedly told CNN that she plans to view the dash-cam video from the shooting of Keith Scott on Thursday and then release it to the public.

But this was immediately publicly contradicted contradicted by the Twitter account for the City, who said that while Roberts will view the video, it will not be released to the public:

--@CLTMayor will view video. Will NOT be released to public at that time. (City of Charlotte, 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--Streaming @WBTV_News coverage of Charlotte unrest and anchors are struggling with whether to use "protesters" or "rioters" (Colin Campbell, Raleigh News & Observer - 21 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Things appear to be calming down in uptown Charlotte.

Posted Image
--The police in riot gear outside the arena are starting to take off their protective gear. (Mike Hanson, WCNC Charlotte - 22 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--BREAKING: CATS suspends Light Rail and bus services until further notice @wsoctv (Joe Bruno, WSOC Charlotte - 22 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--Gov. McCrory says National Guard members are on their way to Charlotte in buses right now @wsoctv (Joe Bruno, WSOC Charlotte - 22 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) Richard Sherman, the Seattle Seahawks footballer, has used a press conference today to raise the issue of the NFL anthem protests against police violence. He said people were still missing the point about the kneeling protests and that incidents in Tulsa and Charlotte showed why they were needed.

Sherman said: The reason these guys are kneeling, the reason we’re locking arms is to bring people together to make people aware that this is not right. It’s not right for people to get killed in the street.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(The Guardian) President Barack Obama spoke by telephone on Wednesday with the mayors of Charlotte and Tulsa, a White House official said.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
....watching the TV footage, things appear to be calming down for the night....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Charlotte Protests - Curfew Imposed As Scott Family Video Views Video Of Killing

Posted Image
Quote:
 
Protesters and police in Charlotte confronted each other for a third evening, on Thursday night, in a roaming demonstration as the family of police shooting victim Keith Scott said it still had “more questions than answers” after privately viewing footage of his killing.

Police used tear gas to disperse a crowd of hundreds on the John Belk freeway, where they had blocked traffic. The clash led the mayor, Jennifer Roberts, to declare a midnight curfew – a step she had declined to take earlier in the day.

As the evening began, a small crowd of people – nothing like the crowds of Wednesday night – gathered in Charlotte’s Uptown neighborhood. Their main rallying cry was “release the tapes,” a reference to police video of Scott’s death on Tuesday, shot by officers in the parking lot of the apartment complex where he lived on the east side of town.

Meanwhile, Scott’s family was shown in private two police body camera videos of the officer shooting him dead.

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for the family, said in the statement: “While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time.

“It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr Scott is holding in his hands,” the statement said, adding that Scott’s hands were by his sides and he was slowly walking backward.

On Thursday, police chief Kerr Putney told a news conference that the video of Scott does show the 43-year-old was holding a gun and not a book, as the family has claimed. “I can tell you we did not find a book.” But, he said, it did not clearly show Scott pointing the gun at anyone. Later Putney changed his message, saying that on the video he could not see Scott’s hands at all.

On the streets, police took a decidedly different approach Thursday night to the night before; instead of a large, central phalanx, they and National Guardsmen stood in small groups on every street corner. They wore no riot gear, and kept a low profile, letting the crowds march throughout the neighborhood.

At the site where protester Justin Carr, 26, was injured during the upheaval Wednesday night, visitors left tokens memorial, lit candles and sang.

There were signs the authorities were ready for violence. Helicopters swung around the downtown sky and Humvee vehicles stayed tucked on side streets. But on the central downtown blocks, police rode in golf carts and on bicycles.

Several local pastors engaged people on the sidewalks, interrupting arguments that seemed near overheating.

Eunice Lowe, 61, had a close-up view on both nights. She lives on a bench near the intersection of Tryon and Trade streets, where she put out a small hand-painted Black Lives Matter sign. “Last night I thought I might go deaf,” she said, referring to the flash-bang projectiles and tear gas canisters. She was saddened to hear that Carr, who was injured on her block, had died. “No, no,” she said.

As the crowd dissolved downtown on Thursday night, a new one gathered on the freeway, where protesters stopped cars. Eventually police in riot gear formed a wall between the protesters and the roadway.

Details of what happened to Carr have been muddled, with conflicting explanations from city officials. At first Putney said the man had died Wednesday night, and then that announcement was reversed, and then remade on Thursday.

The city also said the man, whose name had not been released, was injured during a “civilian on civilian” shooting. But that explanation seemed increasingly tenuous by Thursday afternoon.

“There was no fight,” said Eddie Thomas, an attorney and Charlotte public defender. He was at the intersection in question to observe interactions between police and the public, he said. “There was no issue between protesters. It just didn’t happen.”

Thomas’s account agrees with what other witnesses claimed to see. “I saw the police shoot that man almost point blank with my own eyes,” Jimmy James Tyson wrote on Facebook afterward. “Police shot him close range in the side of the head with a rubber bullet.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--Organizer of tonight's protest in Uptown tells @SarahBlakeWBTV some protesters planning to violate curfew #CLTProtest (Nick Ochsner, WBTV Charlotte - 22 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(WRAL Raleigh) A curfew has taken effect in Charlotte with demonstrators still on the street.

Mayor Jennifer Roberts signed documents Thursday night to put in effect a curfew from midnight until 6 a.m.

After midnight, hundreds of protesters continued to march and chant in the city's business district.

Officers didn't appear to be trying to arrest people or force them off the streets several minutes after midnight passed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--#CLTProtest passes gaping hole where the Observer used to be. 12:25 am Friday. (Ann Doss Helms, Charlotte Observer - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--"We young. We strong. We marching all night long." #CLTProtest 12:40!am (Ann Doss Helms, Charlotte Observer - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--Protesters are now laying down at Trade/Tryon @wsoctv (Joe Bruno, WSOC Charlotte - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--National Guard standing by. #CharlotteProtests (Yamiche Alcindor, New York Times - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The News Hub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 3

Aquös by tiptopolive of the ZB Theme Zone