Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]


Welcome to Conversations. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 4
2016 Charlotte Police Shooting Thread
Topic Started: Sep 21 2016, 02:09 AM (74 Views)
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Protesters clash with police in Charlotte after fatal shooting of black man

Posted Image
Quote:
 
Protesters have taken to the streets in Charlotte, North Carolina, clashing with police after the fatal police shooting of a black man earlier in the day.

Keith Scott, 43, was shot and killed by Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer Brentley Vinson, who is also black, after being mistaken for a wanted man.

Police said officers went to a Charlotte apartment complex around 4pm looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they encountered Scott, who was not the suspect they were looking for, inside a car.

According to department spokesman Keith Trietley, officers saw the man get out the car with a gun and then get back in. When officers approached the car, the man got out of the car with the gun again. At that point, officers deemed the man a threat and at least one fired a weapon, he said. A weapon was recovered by detectives at the scene.

According to police, officers immediately began rendering aid after the shots were fired. Scott, a father of seven, was pronounced dead at Carolinas Medical Center.

The police version is at odds with that of Scott’s family who have insisted that he was disabled, sitting in his car reading a book, and had no gun. “He sits in the shade, reads his book and waits on his kid to get off the bus,” Scott’s sister told reporters. “He didn’t have no gun, he wasn’t messing with nobody.”

In a video posted to Facebook Live from the scene, Scott’s daughter Lyric repeatedly can be heard yelling at investigators on the scene not to plant a weapon in Scott’s vehicle. “Because that’s what the fuck y’all do,” she said in the emotional video.

Tuesday night as protests swelled, police used tear gas to attempt to disperse crowds heard yelling “Black lives matter,” and “Hands up, don’t shoot!” One person held up a sign saying “Stop Killing Us”, and another sign was seen reading “It was a book”.

In statements the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department distinguished between “agitators” and “demonstrators”, blaming the former for damaging police vehicles and causing injuries to at least a dozen officers. One officer was reportedly struck in the face with a rock.

Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts tweeted on Tuesday night: “I will continue to work with our manager & Chief on officer involved shooting. We are reaching out to community to ask for calm.”

Police blocked access to the area, which is about a mile from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, as protesters gathered after the shooting.
Video from WCCB-TV in Charlotte showed police in riot gear stretched across a two-lane road confronting protesters at the apartment complex later in the night. Some of the officers flanked the main line on one side of the road.

The shooting comes quickly on the heels of the death of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man shot by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Both incidents are just the latest in a summer that has been fraught with tensions between law enforcement and black and activist communities outraged by police killings of black people.

Officer Vinson, who has been with the department for two years, has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in such cases.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Replies:
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--#CMPD seems ready to wait this out. 12:50 am. (Ann Doss Helms, Charlotte Observer - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--Hundreds outside the NASCAR Hall of Fame @wsoctv (Joe Bruno, WSOC Charlotte - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Guardian: Keith Scott shooting - video emerges of fatal encounter with Charlotte police

Posted Image
(NBC News) Still from video of the fatal police shooting of Keith Scott in Charlotte, North Carolina, obtained by NBC News.
Quote:
 
A new video showing the killing of Keith Lamont Scott, filmed by his wife, shows police warning Scott to “drop the gun” as his wife screams that he did not have a weapon.

Scott, 43, was killed by police in Charlotte, North Carolina, after he was mistaken for a suspect in another incident. Police have refused to release police body camera footage of the incident. His death has sparked days of unrest in the city, during which one man was shot and later died.

The video does not show the moment of Scott’s death, or whether he had a weapon. The Scott family insists he was unarmed.

In the video, released by the Scott family attorneys to the New York Times and NBC News, Rakeyia Scott can be heard yelling to a group of police, “Don’t shoot him, don’t shoot him, he has no weapon,” while officers yell to “drop the gun.”

Soon after, four shots are fired and police are seen gathered around Scott’s body, lying on the ground. “He better not be fucking dead,” Rakeyia Scott shouts, standing a short distance away. “He better live.”

Police previously released a still photo taken from video that they say shows a pistol near Scott’s feet.

Neither that photo nor the family’s video are perfectly clear, but they seem to contradict each other. In the family’s video, which includes footage from before, during, and after the shooting, there is no gun visible.

Posted Image
A photo released by Charlotte police appears to show a gun near the body of Keith Scott. (Char-Meck Police Dept)

The video’s release follows a police announcement on Friday that a suspect was arrested in the deadly shooting of Justin Carr, a 26-year-old protester shot Wednesday night during violent demonstrations.

Police chief Kerr Putney said during a news conference that a video led police to arrest the suspect on Friday morning, but did not give further details.

The arrest was the latest development in a confused and deadly series of encounters between police and the public that has highlighted the critical role of video in investigations. The protests started on Tuesday after Scott’s death in the parking lot of his apartment complex on the east side of the city.

Protesters have rallied to a cry of “release the tapes”, demanding that police release footage from that incident, and police have so far refused. They did show footage of the confrontation to the family, whose lawyer, Justin Bamberg, said has left the family with “more questions than answers”.

Information has proven mercurial throughout the protests. For instance, on Wednesday night after Carr’s shooting, Putney said that he had died. Later city officials reversed that announcement and said that Carr was still alive. Then on Thursday the city confirmed that he had indeed died from his injuries.

The city also said Carr was injured during a “civilian on civilian” shooting. But protesters were not inclined to take authorities at their word. “There was no fight,” said Eddie Thomas, an attorney and Charlotte public defender. He was at the intersection in question to observe interactions between police and the public, he said. “There was no issue between protesters. It just didn’t happen.”

Thomas’s account matched with what other witnesses claimed to see. “I saw the police shoot that man almost point blank with my own eyes,” Jimmy James Tyson wrote on Facebook afterward. “Police shot him close range in the side of the head with a rubber bullet.”

The protests have been far-ranging and unpredictable. They began on Tuesday night near Scott’s home, and by Wednesday had moved into the city center, the scene of violent confrontations between protesters and police. On Thursday night protesters moved to the John Belk Freeway, where they stopped cars until police fired tear gas canisters and pepper balls. Even so, it was more peaceful than Wednesday night.

Charlotte’s mayor, Jennifer Roberts, has declared a curfew to run daily from midnight to 6am. Police did not enforce the curfew Thursday night, allowing protesters to peacefully disperse. Local authorities have also called in state troopers and the National Guard for help controlling the crowds.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Los Angeles Times: Demonstrations Flood Streets Of Charlotte & Atlanta In Wake Of Police Shootings

Posted Image
A demonstrator holds a sign during a protest in Atlanta in response to recent police shootings in North Carolina and Oklahoma. (Branden Camp/Associated Press)
Quote:
 
Hundreds of demonstrators were out in Charlotte, N.C., for a fourth night of protests Friday after the shooting of a black man by a police officer.

Several dozen people gathered at a park and then marched through Charlotte's business district with signs.

A separate protest was underway in Atlanta, where hundreds of protesters were in the streets.

One of the marchers in Charlotte had a sign that said "Just Stop The Killing," while another had a banner that said "Just Release the Tapes." Protesters have sought the release of police footage of the shooting this week of Keith Lamont Scott.

They were watched by National Guard members posted in front of many downtown buildings.

Two of the three previous nights of protests were chaotic. But on Thursday, people marched through downtown in a largely peaceful protest.

Scott’s mother asked protesters to "give up the rioting" because it had worsened the situation.

She told WCSC TV of Charleston, S.C., that he would not want the violence that followed his death. Vernita Scott Walker of James Island said a peaceful walk is fine, but the rioting and looting "makes it bad for the family."

Walker said that she last talked to her son less than two hours before the shooting, and that she learned of his death from TV news.

Police say Scott was armed, but witnesses say he held only a book. His mother says it was the Koran, which he loved to read daily.

In Atlanta, marchers took to the streets after a rally at the National Center for Civil and Human Rights museum Friday evening. Many held signs reading “Black Lives Matter” and chanted “We're ready, we're ready for y'all.”

NAACP state President Francys Johnson and lawyer Mawuli Mel Davis led the protest. There were no police present, but volunteers walked ahead of demonstrators and blocked off intersections for marchers to walk.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
--Racially diverse group of protesters march in #Atlanta & #Charlotte seeking #PoliceReform. Keeping the pressure on, keeping the issue alive. (Kristen Clarke, Lawyers Cmte For Civil Rights - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
--Demonstrators march in Charlotte, Atlanta to protest recent police shootings (WAVY Hampton Roads VA - 23 Sept. 2016)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Rinku
Member Avatar
Forum Master
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NBC Sports: Reports - Protesters Could Be Trying To Block Access To Panthers-Vikings Game

Posted Image
Quote:
 
The decision was made to go ahead with today’s Panthers-Vikings game, despite an uneasy week in Charlotte following the police shooting of Keith Scott.

But even if the game is played, there might not be a full house at kickoff, as reports have emerged of protestors wanting to disrupt the flow of traffic into Bank of America Stadium.

According to Adam Rhew of Charlotte Magazine, protestors in uptown Charlotte are putting out word they hope to block enough traffic to keep players and fans from entering the stadium as normal by disrupting traffic on I-277 (which circles uptown). Earlier this morning, the crowd at Marshall Park was small and not the kind that would tie up many intersections.

There are extra security forces on the ground to keep things running smoothly, as the city of Charlotte declared today’s game an “extraordinary event,” which allows them to bring in more law enforcement personnel.

The National Guard was called in last week, after protests turned violent Wednesday night. Since then, things have remained largely peaceful, though the declaration of a midnight curfew and many uptown businesses closing has limited the amount of traffic in the area around government buildings and the stadium. Troops have already set up outside Bank of America Stadium.

Getting 70,000 extra people in and out of the area is a logistical challenge on a normal day, and bears watching over the next few hours.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Webster
Member Avatar
Wasatch Storyteller & Resident Forum Curmudgeon
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
....oh, that's awful convenient of the officer....

Posted Image
Quote:
 
(Washington Post) CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Crucial evidence in the police shooting death of Keith Scott is not available because one of the officers failed to activate his body camera as soon as he responded to the encounter, in violation of department policy.

The department released two videos late Saturday after four days of sometimes violent protests here over the death of Scott, who police said had a gun. Neither video is conclusive on that question.

The grainy body camera video begins showing an officer who appears to be yelling, his weapon drawn, as he and the officer wearing the body camera stand behind Scott’s white vehicle. Next the officer with the camera can be seen striking Scott’s truck with his baton. Scott gets out of the vehicle, four shots are fired by an officer not seen on the video, and Scott falls to the ground.

The officer recording retreats back behind the truck, then doubles back toward Scott’s dying body.

But none of those moments in the first 30 seconds of the bodycam video have audio. All are silent, denying investigators and the public key details of what happened immediately prior to the shooting Sept. 20. That indicates the officer, who has not been identified, did not turn on the camera until after the shooting, when audio begins.
-Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/26/charlotte-officer-did-not-activate-body-camera-until-after-keith-scott-had-been-shot-2/?utm_term=.a6f4ebfea821
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · The News Hub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 4

Aquös by tiptopolive of the ZB Theme Zone