Hatching: May 25th

Cadet Group 20
Lesson 4 ~ Ability Training
Next Lesson: May 14th

Cadet Group 21
Lesson 1 ~ Extended Bonding
First Lesson: May 28th
Welcome to Dracadia!

We are an original, dragon bonding RP with influences from Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern) and Gary Gygax (Dungeons and Dragons). We offer a new and unique setting, multiple playable races and four different dragon species used to fight against the Ternarium; the evil monsters that threaten to destroy the people of the world. Become a savior and fight to protect the people of Dracadia!

Try the Get Started! button first; located on the submenu at the top of our site. It's the perfect way to 'get started' and join the fun.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fabric or Leather?; Tag Strifefox/Nyx
Topic Started: Apr 27 2015, 02:21 PM (284 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna nodded to Master Zan in greeting as she entered the crafting chamber, smiling as she did. Carrying the black dyed leather hides she'd had tanned specially, she glanced around the room a moment to find a suitable worktable where she could put them while she gathered the things she would need to start cutting out the pieces of the dresses she was planning to make and sell.

Spotting one that was out of the way of most of the others in the room and that would also be big enough for her work, she quickly made her way over to it and set the pile of hides down on it. Looking around the area, she noted with a hint of surprise that there was quite a large floor loom nearby, too, one that already had what looked some nicely woven fabric on it. She put it from her mind, though, as she turned her attention to the cabinets and their contents.

Walking over to one that had a label on it marking it for leatherworking, she opened it and found herself confronted with neat piles of tools set out inside it. She grinned in delight at the sight and picked up a nearby basket so she could select the tools she needed. The list was quite a long one, and included an awl, a small packet of leather needles, black leather thread, bee's wax, a small wooden hammer and a metal hole puncher that would mark where she would push the awl through the leather and later where she would stitch the pieces together, a paring knife in case she needed to thin some pieces out, and a piece of hardened, dried fungus that she could place on the table beneath the leather to keep the tools from damaging the wood.

She carried these things over to the table, but quickly returned, looking for a knife that she could use to actually cut the leather, a piece of chalk to mark up where she wanted to cut, and a ruler to make sure they would be the right size before she did. Happy she now had everything, Arianna closed up the cupboard and returned to the table, where she began to set everything out, humming quietly to herself and completely focused on what she had planned.
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Nyx had wanted to take some time for himself and work on some new scarf patterns he'd gathered. Not too long ago he had purchased some lovely silks and satins for the job and even procured a new set of needles. Various threads were gathered in many colored and styles which would put together his little creations, which he hoped to actually sell at the Bazaar and increase some income for his sister. He couldn't stand that she did not have more and he wouldn't stand for it. Sora deserved more than this simple life, Nyx knew it in his heart.

The Thayer wandered into the Fort, making way to the Crafthall where he would be doing most of his work today. Usually he preferred the comfort of his own apartment but it lacked the durable loom provided in the Crafthall which he would need to make the ends of his scarf. He sighed as he pushed the doors open and glanced around to see who was in here today. Good, no one was near the loom yet!

He quickly occupied the device, setting up shop for his work. It wouldn't take long for him to fall into pattern, working diligently on creating a frayed and stringy looking piece out of thick woolen strands of blue dyed yarns. The coming and going of other people wasn't exactly noted for the first hour or so that he spent absorbed into his project. However, eventually had had to take a restroom break.

Upon his return to the Crafthalls, he paused in the door as he noticed Mesai woman who had taken the table near the loom. He tightened his brightly colored wings up and sucked it up before moving back over to the loom. There were a few things working in is favor. He was pretty sure she was an Applicant judging by the look of her. Young and impressionable. A devious grin spread on his pouty lips and he gracefully lowered himself back on the stool before the loom. Nyx would make as show of flexing his wings so they'd catch the light and show off the pretty peafowl like coloration he possessed. Glamorous!

Arianna began to hum and he pause, shooting her a glance. "Do you have something stuck in your throat or something?" he asked bluntly, an obvious aloof tone to his voice as he spoke to the Mesai girl. He riffled threw the pockets of his vest and dug out small, wax paper wrapped piece of hard candy. through the semi transparent paper one could see that it was a pale purple coloration inside. "Here, it's a violet mint. It should help some with that ghastly rasp your throat was making."
Offline Profile Qoute To Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna had completely ignored the Thayer male as he'd returned to what was clearly his work on the loom, though she had noticed the way he'd deliberately been showing off the feathers on his wings. In fact, she'd stopped humming not long after his appearance-singing was something she normally only did in private, unless dragged into it by someone she knew or had heard her sing in the past.

As for showing off his wings... Well, that had spoken volumes to the young Mesai who preferred actions over words, and she wasn't impressed. Oh, yes, she agreed that he had every right to be vain over the colouring of his wings, but then, there was vanity... and then there was outright narcissism. She suspected that she was seeing the latter, unfortunately. Raising her pale blue eyes to look up at him from the violet mint, she simply smiled in a sweet way that, had she been back home in the mountains or with the Traders she'd travelled with, would have had the people that had known her backing away a little.

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with my throat... You may want to do something about that metal rod someone appears to have shoved somewhere painful, though. I hear those can get rusty at times." Arianna wasn't normally nasty, but then, that didn't mean she was going to let him walk all over her either...
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
The Thayer thought he had the upper hand on the Mesai with his mint comment for her throat, however she snapped back with just as much fang as he gave her. Nyx rose a brow. "How clever of you...." he purred with a smirk as he unwrapped the candied mint and pop it into his mouth which allowed him to flash her his pearly whites. The Thayer let his gaze slide over to what she was working on and he rose a brow as he tried to figure it out himself at first.

However Arianna hadn't been working at it very long so what ever she was making was barely past conception. "What is that you are working on anyways...the leather looks awful basic for a vest or satchel..." he commented with a wrinkle of his nose at it's quality. Nyx did not know a whole lot about leather working so he was no expert on the quality of leathers which didn't give him much room to talk though. "Maybe a new belt or something hm?" he asked, playing off like her comment did not bother him, while secretly he was trying to buy some time to come up with a good retort.

Nyx felt the familiar tug of Akkis in his mind, the dragon was awake and focused on his Keeper's mind and what he was doing. This girl seems smart, I like her. She put you in your place! commented the dark, large dragon.

He mentally sneered back at him, for a second his face would contort up into an unpleasant expression while he mentally replied to his dragon. Hush it Akkis, you're a distraction. he rumbled back, then tossed Arianna a brighter smile. "Oh you have to pardon that. My dear Akkis was talking to me and I had to reply." Not quiet showing off the fact that he was a Keeper but he was definitely letting it bet known what his rank was.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna knew instantly that he hadn't done much leather working, but then, she hadn't gone very near looms after her grandmother and older brother had started to teach her the dual swords. She knew the rudimentary basics, of course, just like anyone from outlying villages did-how else would you make your clothes, if you couldn't buy them from a tailor or somewhere similar?

But then, the comment about speaking to his dragon, as well as his contorted expression while he had done so, made her feel... highly displeased. Did he think she was going to back down simply because he'd mentioned his rank? He'd been the one to start all of this in the first place!

"All leather looks simplistic at first, though you can often tell the quality at a glance. This is some of the best I've ever handled." She turned from him, refusing to look at him or his oh-so-perfect teeth as she continued to mark out the slats that would form the outer layer of the dress. The straight lines she drew without a ruler or piece of wood revealed how much practice she'd had making the garments, and was confirmed again when she picked up the cutting knife-which she had already checked to be certain of its sharpness-and began to drag it across the thick leather's surface, splitting it as easily as if it were a hot knife sliding through butter. "It all depends on the skill of the person and what they intend to make from it. Much like a loom, I believe."

The belt comment she especially found ridiculous-how many belts did he think she needed? A hundred?
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
He could see her unsympathetic or amazed facial expression learning he was a dragon rider and felt a twinge of inner anger. Nyx had wanted her to react a certain way and like a child, was quietly throwing a tantrum. A tantrum that would never be visible. Too many years and years of quietly locking away his emotions had taught him how to never let his real self be seen. You are like a whelp. Do not be sad Nyx, I still love you and think that you are my special rider. You are the most special of all because you touched my egg and I wanted to be with you. the dragon said.

Nyx felt a strange rush through his system, hearing the sweet words of his dragon course through his veins and chest. Everything felt a little tighter but in a good way. A small smile spread across his lips as he listened to the Mesai talking about her leathers. "Is that so, and where would you purchase such quality at?" he asked as he began using the loom again. Deft fingers weaving the end caps of his scarf together, and while he was focused on his job, he was still paying attention to Arianna out of the corner of his eye.

He chuckled, a flirtatious and sensual laugh. "Oh....well than, what is it you plan on making and what is your skill level? hmmm." Nyx purred teasingly. He could already tell that she was probably fairly skilled at leather working with how fast and expertly she was able to cut through the leather material but he was curious if she would brag a little or be modest. Nyx was trying to get a grasp on her general personality. So far...he was starting to like this Mesai.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna couldn't help the evil grin that now tugged at her lips on hearing his first question. "That would be in the tannery section of the residential area... You can't miss the best place there. It out stinks all of the others."

He would likely think she was making things up, but she wasn't-tanning hides was a lengthy, smelly business, and was highly unpleasant at times, too. First there was getting the skin off the animal, then there was the process of removing the remaining gristle and fat, dehairing the hide, and finally treating it, as well as the dying process if the buyer wanted their hide a different colour to the original.

His next question, along with his tone of voice, made her smile die off a little as she dragged a thinner leather towards herself. This one would form the underskirt, as well as the binding around the edges of the thicker leather, which would keep the roughened edges from rubbing the wearer. "I'm making dresses... and I'm nowhere near as skilled as some of the craftsmen I've seen in the bigger cities. My skills are little more than those of a beginner in comparison."

Again, she wasn't joking-she'd seen leather workers in the cities take a hide and create beautiful things, making scabbards for swords that weren't just leather tubes but works of art carved with imagery that far outshone her abilities. Oh, she knew enough that she could try to emulate them if she wanted to, but she knew she was also likely better off sticking to what she already knew how to do...
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
He make a strangely surprised face when she tells him where to get the leathers. Nyx had honestly never thought about getting supplies from inside the Residential Sector, the Thayer had always gotten his things from the Bazaar and figured it's quality would have been the best. "Huh, interesting. Well, I know where to look when I am looking for something, though I might just allow you to find it for me since your knowledge of leathers is apparently better than mine." Nyx said to the Mesai girl. He was interested in her for sure, but he still wanted to toy with her and push his boundaries.

Akkis was paying a lot of attention to the situation now as well. Nyx could feel the dragon tapping into the conversation through his mind. The man made an annoyed huff at himself but shook it off since stopping Akkis was pushy when he wanted to be and he knew that he wasn't good at fending off his strong will. Not for things like this and it was pointless to anyways. Nyx stayed in control of his hands instead and straightened out the long strands of fabric so he could start braiding them into seven identical tassels.

"It appears that you have no confidence in yourself girl. Take a compliment when you hear one and perhaps you'd feel better about your own designs." Nyx commented and pulled free the first tassel band he had created then began working on the second - braiding the tassels together. Though I have not heard of leather skits before. Is it some kind of battle garment.... I can imagine how simply adorable it would look on you." he chimed, his tone quiet flirtatious.

Nyx finished the second tassel and held it up in the air to compare to the other one, making sure they were even. A single thread out of place would not do, not for his perfected standards, especially since this was going to his sister and she deserved only the best.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at her dresses being described as 'adorable' if she were to wear one-not only was she already wearing one, but as it was designed for battle it had metal pieces in strategic places that would add to the level of protection it provided, such as the charms attached to the leather slats of her skirt or the metal soles of her boots. As for taking a compliment-well, she was telling the truth, pure and simple.

"Forgive me, but I can hardly take it as compliment when a more skilled leather worker could take a hide like this and create far more beautiful items than these dresses... My skill level is nowhere near high enough to create, for example, a bridle or saddle that might be used by Thayer nobility. Items like those aren't just stitched together-they are carved and moulded to specific shapes, with the person's crest found on every single piece of leather used to create the item, even that that wouldn't normally be seen." She'd definitely noticed his tone of voice, as well, and her only reaction to it was to flick her tail in vexation.

She loved the long, fluffy appendage, but there were times-like right now-when she was glad that the longer fur made it harder to tell that she was getting riled up. Where other Mesai might have what could only be called a bottle brush by now, she only had a slightly thicker tail width. This could, admittedly, change very quickly, and that was when her tail would turn into a massive hindrance that would take hours to comb flat again...
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Nyx was a reactionary kind of man. He said thing sometimes because he wanted to see what the person would say or do. So after he spoke, even though he was looking towards his own scarf making task, he was still spying Ariannna out of the corner of his eye. A silent judgement of the Mesai as he waited for her to react. Long ago he would get his kicks out of hurting people with words or looks but lately he had changed, something he'd blame on his dragon's presence in his mind. Thanks to Akkis, he had altered his behavior to saying anything in hopes of good or bad retaliations.

You should stop thinking about other people so much anyways. Aren't I enough for you Nyx? the large, fully awake now dragon said to his Keeper. He was always a little frustrated when he first woke up to Nyx thinking about beings that were not him. It would fade off the longer he was wake but for now he was frustrated about it.

Oh stop that possessive behavior Akkis. First you are defensive of her and now you're angry at me for thinking about her? Why don't you go stretch your wings and breath some air that is not in your den? Nyx replied, not being tolerant of his mood shifts today.

The Thayer laughed a little at Arianna. A melodious kind of light hearted laugh. "It looks like I struck a chord with you sweetheart. You're getting all worked up over a compliment any other woman would have taken thankfully..." he half taunted. "But you swish your tail and get quiet angry about it." Nyx pointed out, waving the needle and thread at her flicking tail. The Thayer's heavy wings shifted on his back as he had to lean over his own lap to pull a long bolt of silk from a satchel he had set under the loom before. It was a vibrant green color with what looked like silver leaf patterns stained into the very material.

Nyx may not have noticed how upset she was, but he had seen it flicker which was enough to tell him she was agitated, and made him feel clear enough to keep flicking switched and pushing buttons. "You've got such a pretty face you know, and a lovely tail so it would be a shame to ruin it with a frown. Lighten up dear."

Deleted User
Deleted User

Much as Arianna would normally like being told she had a pretty face and tail, she wasn't so sure she liked being told that by a Thayer with an obviously jumped up sense of his own self worth. He was right, though-she was getting annoyed with how he'd been talking to her. That realisation made her pull herself up short, and she dragged a breath in, held it a moment before letting it slowly out.

This wasn't like her, and she needed to relax. If she didn't, he'd just keep taunting her, after all. She glanced over at his work, and her eyes widened a little in astonishment at the sight of the fabric he was working with. It was a truly beautiful piece of work, and she could tell it wouldn't have been cheap to buy,if only because the stained pattern alone was a very difficult technique to accomplish.

Turning back to her own work, she began marking out the pieces for the bodice of her dress, managing a small smile as she did. "I simply spoke the truth as I saw it-and besides, I have always preferred actions over words, anyway."

The dress was almost to the point where she would be able to sit down and start sewing now, though she still needed to punch the lines into the leather for the holes-if he hadn't liked the sound of her singing earlier, then he definitely wouldn't like the sound of the wooden hammer hitting the metal puncher, that was for sure.
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Nyx's lithe fingers expertly moved the thread and needle in and out of the two fabrics to bring them together. His efforts were quiet good and the spaces between the two fabrics were so close it would be a strong and seamless bind. He'd only learned to sew like this in the past three years or so which made it even more impressive - the perks of being a Thayer was that eye for the arts and quick mind for picking them up. The Thayer had caught her peering at his scarf and smirked to himself, allowing it to unfurl from his lap and unroll like a parchment to show off the nice fabric he'd found and was working with.

The next words out of her mouth made the man smirk even more. "I can agree with you there. Actions are far more truthful then anything that can be said. Words are just that, spoke verbalization, that is until they are backed up with an actual action to prove it. I can think of plenty of circumstances in my life where what someone had said to me simply did not measure up to what they told me." he clicked his tongue, making a disappointed sigh. "A pity too, when someone cannot hold up to their end of a promise."

He glanced her way, using one of his slender fingers to trace over his own eye brow and itch at it casually. "For instance. I could tell you how attractive you are to look at and tell you all the things I would like to do with you...." he let his words fade off as she began to work out the holes through the leather. The loud clank-clank-clank/i] of the wooden hammer made his ears ring, and Nyx winced unpleasantly at the sound. Nyx would have to wait until she was done with this part if he wanted to keep talking to her, he refused to talk over the sound or shout to be heard. If he had tried, he could hear his sister scolding him in his head for it....

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna was relieved that the noise of the hammer had stopped him from talking, if only because he was now getting far too personal for her liking. She was tempted to move to another table, but all the others had people either using them or things laid out on them already, leaving this one the only one truly available for use.

She did, however, agree with what he'd been saying about people's actions-they didn't always match up with what they said. She'd seen many a relationship fall apart on the road because one of the people in the relationship had gone behind their partners' backs to be with someone else, all while professing to love the person that they were 'officially' with.

Finally, she finished marking up the line of holes for the stitches, and picked up the awl and fungus she'd gotten out of the cupboard, placing the fungus beneath the leather to act as a kind of padding. It was easy to see where others before her had used it for the same purpose, as it was full of holes and missing a few pieces in places. Not looking up from her work, she began pushing the awl through each of the marks she'd made, not quite having the heart to tell him yet that this had to be done with every piece of leather she had to stitch together.

"A person can say what they would like to do to someone all they like, but it doesn't mean they would be allowed to do it... I can name a few people I met while travelling with Traders that I didn't get on with, but I would never try to harm them in some way. I'd no need to." It was a message, of sorts-he could say she was attractive all he liked, but that didn't mean she'd let him get any closer than necessary.
Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Nyx was enjoying himself more than he thought he would talking to this Mesai girl. She was a game to be played and the more he toyed with her the better her responses were getting. The Thayer had a thing for the ones who fought back like this. While outwardly she was annoying him because she used hammering to shut him up, inside he was laughing gleefully, what other buttons could he push! Nyx turned his eyes back to his handiwork, lifting the scarf end up in his hands and pulled it taught. Doing so allowed him to scrutinize his own stitching, tugging it this way and that or inspecting it in the light for any flaws.

He was as hard on himself as he was on others, never giving in for any thing less than perfection. Having spotted a spot that needed more binding to keep the pieces firm and seamless, he began to re-thread his needle with the pretty blue. His ears twitched slightly as the sound of the hammering ended and he could hear her working in quiet again. Nyx slide his icy blue eyes in her direction and let a not so subtle smile glide onto his lips. The precision at which she could sew the leather together at was still rather impressive, but he knew from experience that she'd not take a compliment if he said it to her.

When will you come to me? If you must you can bring her with you but you should come to me soon. I am bored and need you, what if I get hungry or itchy? Nyx, come please. he whined, sulking now that he was not the center of attention.

The Keeper pursed his lips some, "Akkis...soon, allow me my moments will you? You'll have me the rest of the day now hush and just listen if you want. Think of it as game of entertainment." he thought back. At least it seemed to work as Akkis calmed down for now.

The young Thayer cleared his throat, speaking again. "That sounded a little bit like a threat you know. Tsk, tsk. All I did was tell you how pretty I think you are, it is not many of your kind that I find so attractive sweetheart." he replied, then shrugged his shoulders. "Though..." his voice trailed off and he gave her a second look. "What kind of traders would you be traveling with that made passes at you like that? I hope they weren't so uncouth as to try something underhanded with you were they?"

Deleted User
Deleted User

Arianna couldn't help a slight grin at his question. "They were the kind that were new to the group and thought themselves above a supposedly mere Mesai girl. They soon learned otherwise, and before they could do anything."

It had, on occasion, taken a cracked skull or two to make the fools get the message, but once they had-and the leader of the Trader caravan knew what was going on-they often got left at the next village they came across. There had been a couple of reasons for this, the main reason being that Arianna hadn't been there just as a traveller but as an extra sword, one that had paid in gold to accompany the group.

Gold she'd earned doing sword dances in the larger cities, admittedly, but gold all the same. By the time she'd made her choice to leave the group to come to Fort Zephyr, she'd been across almost the entirety of her home continent of Hartvain and a smaller part of Mellowell, too. Arianna was grateful that the caravan had allowed her to stay with them for so long, though she definitely missed talking to Dariel, one of the other mercenaries that had been a part of the group.

Putting the thought from her mind, she picked up the hammer, deciding to use a little less force this time-she wanted to actually hear his response, after all.
Qoute To Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Crafting Chambers · Next Topic »
Add Reply