Hatching: May 25th

Cadet Group 20
Lesson 4 ~ Ability Training
Next Lesson: May 14th

Cadet Group 21
Lesson 1 ~ Extended Bonding
First Lesson: May 28th
Welcome to Dracadia!

We are an original, dragon bonding RP with influences from Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern) and Gary Gygax (Dungeons and Dragons). We offer a new and unique setting, multiple playable races and four different dragon species used to fight against the Ternarium; the evil monsters that threaten to destroy the people of the world. Become a savior and fight to protect the people of Dracadia!

Try the Get Started! button first; located on the submenu at the top of our site. It's the perfect way to 'get started' and join the fun.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Haunted by Ghosts; Tag: Strifefox (Maelstrom)
Topic Started: Sep 27 2016, 06:28 PM (204 Views)
Vampyr
Member Avatar
[so if you love me let me go]
It was late in the afternoon, and as tired as Irithyll was, he knew he was in dire need to brush up on the history of war. Even though the young thayer had fought against the Ternarium, he knew little of how they came to be or the early days of battle. Sometimes, Irithyll wondered what life would be like if the Ternarium had never came - his parents would still be alive for one thing - and his right eye would still be functional. Sighing, Irithyll walked along the many shelves of books, his thin fingers brushing the spines as he read each title. He stopped when he found a book that caught his interest, and gently pulled it from the shelf. Flipping through the pages for a few moments, Irithyll decided that this would be an interesting read. Book in hand, Irithyll moved towards one of the smaller, empty tables and sat down, placing the book on the smooth wooden surface. Stretching his wings for a moment, Irithyll stood over the book, relaxing his aching muscles from training earlier today before sitting, allowing his black, feathered wings to drape across his shoulders and touch the floor.

As his blue/grey eye began to read, going from left to right as he read the old pages, Irithyll felt a tinge of sadness. So many lives had been lost to the hands of the Ternarium, so many young men and women had been taken from this land too soon. Their hearts ripped from their bodies, the sounds of crunching bone and the spraying of blood across the ground. Memories of war began to rise up in the back of his mind. Irithyll had been fighting for so much of his life that he did not know any different. It did not mean that he was immune to the pain, or the guilt, or the suffering that went on around him. he was quite empathetic, and it hurt his entire being. Irithyll knew that he had to be strong, he was an applicant after all and even though the lessons were helping, nothing could help the frailty of his mind nor the horrors that he had faced in the past.

Lost in the written text of history and his own thoughts, Irithyll soon lost track of time. A sudden thought struck him, causing his hand that was currently raised to drop onto the table. What if he was not mentally sound enough to bond to a dragon? What if the difficulties of his past and everything that he had lost was too great for the mind of a hatchling? Closing his eyes, Irithyll fought back the pinpricks of tears that he could feel, quickly blinking them away. It was late, that much Irithyll could tell, and his over-active imagination was getting the better of him. Or was it? There were so many what ifs in the world, and Irithyll could not help but think on all of them.
Edited by Vampyr, Sep 28 2016, 12:55 AM.
Offline Profile Qoute To Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Maelstrom had been in the library today. He'd had a rough couple of days this week and needed a little reprieve. He strolled, shirtless as usual, into the confines of the large room of the Fort and found himself a tomb of Kelendra. Sure, he knew any of her holy texts or lore books by heart, able to recite most of them from memory. Still, it was a security blanket for him. Maelstrom too comforts in its familiarness and new it would quell his nerves for a while. A welcome relief to his mind and heart.

He would sit on one of the large plush chairs, curling his tail onto his lap and bring his knees up crossed under him. When the black winged Thayer came in, his eyes danced from its pages and watched the man move about to find himself a book. It was instinct now to know his surroundings and he found it hard to not pay attention. Maelstrom tried to go back to his own book, though, it was hard to focus once more as Irithyll sat near him at an adjacent table. The young man looked, troubled, or at least the expression on his face seemed to say as much.

The cleric slowly closed his own book and tucked it under his arm as he stretched to his feet and made his way over to the other; there he would gently touch his shoulder. "Is everything alright? You seem like you are upset about something," he asked in a soothing tone, showing a bit of concern on his face for Irithyll.

Vampyr
Member Avatar
As a hand touched his shoulder and a gentle voice spoke, Irithyll tensed slightly before relaxing. He looked up to see a mesai looking at him, a concerned look on his face. Irithyll had seen the mesai around the fort before, he was a keeper to a magnificent dragon. Why would a keeper be so concerned with him?

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just have a lot on my mind right now," the young thayer said, his black wings drooping a little. Maelstrom was a keeper and had been an applicant before, so Irithyll felt like he could trust him. "I don't think I'm ready for the hatching. I used to be a foot soldier and there are people that I could have saved... But I suppose it's nothing compared to what you've seen. I don't think I'm ready," he added, swallowing. In truth, Irithyll was probably one of the best fighters in their group of applicants, and he had extra experience with actually fighting the Ternarium. However, his mind was his worst enemy.

"I just... I don't know if I can face them again," Irithyll confessed, closing the history text with a loud thud. He knew it was inevitable, whether or not he continued to be an applicant or not. Irithyll had come this far, all he could do is keep on fighting.

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Maelstrom nodded slightly to Irithyll when he said that he had a lot on his mind. "I can suppose so, being an Applicant is not an easy thing to go through. My own stint through the training was still rather recent and harsh." he said and smiled at the Thayer, trying to cheer him up a little. It was honestly not long ago when he was in the same place he was in and felt his stress. "Do not discount yourself just yet. You could be more ready then you realize...be sides, there is no such thing as being truely ready for it. No matter how much prepping there is, you can never truely be ready for a hatching." the Keeper replied.

"Do you mind if I join you?" he asked, already moving to the chair next to the other man to sit in it. He wasn't so much pushy as he was politely letting him know that he was here to help and wasn't going to leave him when he so clearly needed help. "If...you truely feel you are not ready for this, maybe you need to take a step back and reevaluate why you are here in the first place. Sure Applicants have doubt in themselves, it's natural. Having too much lack of self-faith can be a sign that you aren't in the right place right now." he spoke, letting his expression grow more serious.

He kept his eyes locked onto the Thayer. "You need to do some soul searching then for sure. Maybe it is something I can assist you with if you would like. You can tell me what you are feeling and I'll do my best to explain it to you. How's that sound?"

Vampyr
Member Avatar
"It's just a lot to take on at once, I'm finally getting used to things I think, but sometimes I still doubt myself," Irithyll confessed, running a hand through his light brown hair and pulling some of it out of the plait that fell to the right of his neck. There was just so much going on. Not only did he have to physically train, but mentally train as well - along with getting through the lessons in one piece. He had started learning magic as well, thinking that it would help him to find a distraction, but that only ended up in more stress for the young thayer. Irithyll felt so lost and alone, even when surrounded by so many people. "I know, but I still doubt myself. All the time. Even though I know that it's very likely that I won't be chosen this time around, I know it will still hurt. Does that even make any sense?" The thayer asked, his eyes looking at Maelstrom who now asked to sit, causing the young man to just nod in agreement.

That type of question always confused Irithyll, he was never sure if 'yes' or 'no' was the correct answer, but Maelstrom seemed to understand what he meant as the taller mesai pulled up the chair beside him and sat down. Irithyll could not stop himself from being distracted by the mesai's pretty tail, then turned his full attention back to Maelstrom. He took in a deep breath, nodding as he listened to the keeper's words. "I'm here... I'm here because I need to fight. I have to get stronger, because they're getting stronger. I... we can't let them win," he started, frowning slightly. "I also feel lonely a lot of the time, I feel like a dragon would fill the void," Irithyll added, hoping to not offend by anything that he said.

Irithyll was glad that Maelstrom did not seemed uncomfortable from his glazed right eye, which often through many people off. Looking back at the mesai, he listsned, his hands trembling slightly which were now hidden underneath the desk. "I can try," Irithyll said. He knew that the mesai were quite spiritual in nature, as his mother had been. However, since his mothers had both been killed at such a young age, Irithyll had grown up without that luxury. He swallowed, having never spoken about the deaths of his mothers or any of the terrible things that he had seen throughout his short life. "I feel like I need to protect everyone, like it's my responsibility. I couldn't save my parents from the Ternarium, I couldn't save most of the people I've fought alongside over the years... I blame myself, even though I know it's not my fault," he swallowed nervously. "I'm afraid. I'm afraid that even if I get stronger, become a keeper, it won't be enough - that I won't be enough."

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
It was strange seeing so much self-doubt and dejection in an Applicant like this. Maelstrom sighed softly as he spoke with Irithyll; he had to walk a bit on egg shells with him to hopefully not make this worse. "I think you judge yourself to quickly; in the case of not being chosen this time around... it is up to the Masters of this Fort to decide. Try not to worry about that so much and let them be the judge of it. They are monitoring your skills and improvements all of the time Irithyll, they will know." Maelstrom gave the Thayer a small smile as he did his best to be reassuring. "Prayer is a good way to find yourself when you are lost and alone. The gods are always listening," he added.

The Mesai chuckled a little, brushing back soft blonde locks from the corner of his eye where it slightly blocked his vision. "Well, getting stronger and stopping the Ternarium are good reasons, though If you are just looking for a friend... I think you are trying the wrong way." he started. "Yes, a dragon...does things for you that no other being could possibly do. It bonds to your heart and soul, locked with you for the rest of your life. Don't be fooled by that, though, it is not a replacement for friends and family. It doesn't fill that kind of void in your life Irithyll, and it isn't a really good reason to risk your life on the battlefront for." he reminded him.

His face twisted in thought as he listened to the scared and nervous Thayer spilling his heart and soul out for him. Maelstrom seemed to slowly come to a conclusion and turned his golden gaze back to the Thayer. He reached out and patted his shoulder once more and chuckled softly. "Well, of course, it isn't going to be enough. You're looking at this all wrong is your problem. Irithyll, look around you. Have you ever seen a Keeper charge off into battle all alone? No. They have a wing to the side and back of them. You aren't alone you know, slow down and remember that, pay bit more attention to the Applicants with you...because they might one day be the person saving your life. You are not alone no more, you are an Applicant. A Keeper to be and there will always be someone who has your back."

Vampyr
Member Avatar
As much as Irithyll wanted to fight it - to argue - Maelstrom was right. The masters did not know what they were doing, and had been doing so for many years. This was the way it had always been since the gods had gifted them with dragons to fight the Ternarium, they knew what was best. "You're right," he swallowed. Of course, Irithyll respected the gods and acknowledged them from time to time, but had never really found prayer all that helpful. "The gods don't care about one little thayer, nor do they answer back," Irithyll said, almost scoffing at himself. And why should they? Why would the gods listen to him. He rubbed his chin, feeling the short hairs that grew there as he listened to the mesai. The keeper was older than Irithyll, he could not say how much, but Maelstrom was indeed a keeper and just like the masters, he seemed to know what he was talking about. Again, Maelstrom was right. A dragon could replace friendship, but it was a unique bond in its own that the young thayer still longed for.

"I've been risking my life on the battlefront for years," he muttered, using his slim fingers to gently trace the scar down the right side of his cheek for emphasis. Living and training at Fort Zephyr had made him stronger, faster, given him the facilities he needed in order to lean magic to a higher degree. He turned his blue/grey eyes onto Maelstrom, meeting his golden ones as the keeper spoke.

Irithyll felt somewhat relieved. Looking back on the memories of the past, when he had fought and claimed his enemies, he had been surrounded by the other members of his troop. Even though some fell, and Irithyll could not save them, most of them survived. They worked together as a group to take down the enemy. A single warrior against a Grey would surely die, but in greater number, there was more chance in winning. "You are right, Maelstrom," he sighed. "I think I... I get ahead of myself, those negative thoughts just keep accumulating inside my head because I keep it there. I must thank you, you have helped a great deal," Irithyll added, a small smile playing on his lips.

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Something diabolical
Maelstrom shook his head at that, Irithyll's lack of faith. "Of course they care about you. Even a simple Thayer like yourself. I mean no one person is less important than another. Just because they do not answer you does not mean they aren't watching out for you. Though, just talking to you, I think it is not your faith in them that is a concern, but your faith in yourself." he commented. The Mesai smiled a bit at Irithyll. "You have so much potential in you if you would just let it out instead of holding back so much," he said.

He tipped his head some as he looked at the Thayer's cheek scar and made a slightly sad expression. "I see that now. But... look at it this way. If you've already seen the battlefront and the war, what are you afraid of? I mean besides the obvious. You've been there and seen what those beasts are capable of. A dragon.. is just the thing you need to give you the edge on the battlefield." Maelstrom pointed out. It seemed to him that the thayer was more than ready for this, but he just needed to believe in himself more.

When the Thayer said he was right, Maelstrom smiled a little. "Good to hear. If there is anything I can help you with, feel free to track me down anytime. I am always willing to listen and help you out. Not just because of my duties to Kelendra either. Just think of me as a friend and that my door is always open." he said with a grin spreading on his lips.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply