Hatching: May 25th

Cadet Group 20
Lesson 4 ~ Ability Training
Next Lesson: May 14th

Cadet Group 21
Lesson 1 ~ Extended Bonding
First Lesson: May 28th
Welcome to Dracadia!

We are an original, dragon bonding RP with influences from Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern) and Gary Gygax (Dungeons and Dragons). We offer a new and unique setting, multiple playable races and four different dragon species used to fight against the Ternarium; the evil monsters that threaten to destroy the people of the world. Become a savior and fight to protect the people of Dracadia!

Try the Get Started! button first; located on the submenu at the top of our site. It's the perfect way to 'get started' and join the fun.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Time is Near; Open
Topic Started: Nov 7 2017, 12:10 PM (57 Views)
Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
There was a fetch on the sands. It was a large one, 16 eggs. But they were a large class, nearly 30 applicants. Better than Kendryl had feared, worse than she'd hoped. The top half of the class would be leaving with a baby dragon under their arms.

If that had been the only news, there would surely have been a celebration in the barracks. But hard to celebrate with a storm looming and disasters having struck near every fort. Kendryl got the sense that she was far from the only one who didn't know how to feel: whether to rejoice for the gift or fear for the danger or mourn for the lost.

So Kendryl did what generations of people before her had done, although it had never been her own habit. She prayed. To be chosen, for a healthy fetch, for these recent disasters to prove merely the embers of a dying flame. She asked Ebon to protect and save them, to guide her well and to not let any of them fall. She knew he listened, as he listened to all, but if he had no time for her prayers today...She understood. The world needed so much help, she wasn't sure even Ebon could save them all.

She wondered if other applicants were doing the same, praying to their own gods, all of them bound by the same tentative hopes and fears for their entwined futures.
Online Profile Qoute To Top

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
The crazy one (Deborah is just weird).
Matika was not that religious. Although, she gave all the gods and goddesses proper respect and honor, it was not something she did on a daily bases. Of all the gods and goddesses, Hale and Gossbara were her more favored, well, them and Dark, she did like a little fun now and then. Hale, simply because he was their creator and Gossbara was the closest to a goddess of math and science she could find.

But, with all the weird things that was happening lately, as well as, the rumors she had heard about old Ternarium wastelands, she needed some assurances. She did not care who answered, even this new god Ebon, she just wanted answers she could understand. She had gave tokens of respect to Hale and Gossbara, as well as, a few others, including Dark, she though might help.

Finding a bench in the courtyard, she knelt down to pray quietly, "My Lords, what is happening to our world? Are these omens or warnings of something yet to happen to us? I thank you for your help and guidance in these trying times. Even for Ebon's closing of the portal here. But, is there more? If so, what would you have me to do?"

She waited quietly and hopefully for an answer, not sure if she would recognize it if it came.
Edited by Etlaayz, Nov 7 2017, 03:59 PM.
Offline Profile Qoute To Top

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Something drew Kendryl's eye to a familiar Sigum, almost as if she felt the faint presence of Ebon in her mind. Talk to her, it seemed to urge, bring her into the light. Kendryl wasn't a missionary, had never before tried to convince anyone of much of anything. But maybe Matika needed a bit of guidance, as she once had. She probably wasn't the right one to offer it. Matika was always so cool and composed, even better with numbers than Kendryl was. And yet...It couldn't hurt to say hello.

So she set down her sacrifice, herbs imbued with magic, that still held the scent of life and spring, and walked over to Matika, giving her a tentative smile as she took a seat besides her, "Praying for good luck at the Hatching? I haven't seen you here before."

Kendryl blushed, realizing that made her sound like far more of a regular than she was. She sacrificed and she prayed...but an applicant's schedule left more time for private prayer than for Temple visits. She smiled awkwardly and said, "I doubt you need it. You're one of the best in our class. I'm sure you'll be picked."

She was skilled, without being like Axios, too lost in her own ego to see beyond herself. Kendryl liked Matika, calm and logical and intelligent. But she'd confess...she was a bit surprised to see her here. Matika had always reminded her of her father, fond of the concrete, with no patience for "mystical and intellectual heebie-jeebies". He'd prayed at holidays because he was expected to, but everyone had always known his heart wasn't in it and he would have never been seen coming to a temple alone.

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
Matika looked up when she heard someone talking. She recognized the voice as being Kendryl's, looking up merely confirmed it. Getting up she sat down beside her and blinked with surprise at her question. She had never thought of asking for help with picking a dragon. She has never asked any god or goddess for help with any mundane thing. She thought it was below them. But, choosing a dragon was not mundane, maybe she should ask for help. She asked for understanding, advice and help with big things, like now.

She smiles and replied in her soft voice, "thank you. I hope you get one as well, you have worked so hard for it. No, this is my first time here. I usually do not bother the gods with my problems, but, I was asking to understand what was happening lately and if they want me to do anything."

She knew Kendryl was a follower of Ebon and wondered why. Well, the only way was to ask, so, she did, "why did you choose Ebon? What did you cost you and what get from him?" She, also, knew Kendryl liked magic. To her magic was a Thayer toy. "Why do you like magic?" She blushed at her impudence in asking. Looking down she said, "if you do not feel comfortable, you do not have to answer. I can be a bit bolder that I should at times." she smiled, "it comes from being raised around ten brothers."

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Kendryl nodded in understanding. It was overwhelming. The hatching coming, the hurricane, the last month of lessons...It was a bit of relief to learn she wasn't the only one desperate for guidance. She smiled softly in response to Matika's question, "I chose him because...well...I was never much for praying but then I came here and it was all so big and overwhelming...I wanted a god on my side. Somewhere to belong. And none of the other gods had ever answered me before, no matter how hard I prayed. I was never good enough, just another Sigum peasant of little ability."

Her smile wasn't as bitter as it had once been. She formed a small void in her hand as she spoke, this one utterly black. She hadn't been able to do that at first, make one strong enough not even light could break in or out. She held it out for Matika to see, "When I approached Ebon, he didn't ask anything of me but that I devote myself to him alone. And he opened my eyes. Showed me things I hadn't understood before. This...I wrote this spell myself, using an elimite I'd never before seen. He made me more."

She let the magic die, "Through magic, I can...well...do things. You've seen what I'm like in lessons. I work hard but..."

Kendryl laughed self-consciously, "I'm a hopeless warrior and not much better as an engineer. I get the big ideas but I can't focus on the details the way you can. But with magic...I've always wanted to use it. To be able to do impossible things and peer into the world's secret engines. And now I can."

It was a simple statement filled with pride. She shrugged and continued, "He gave me other gifts as well. I can see at night now, I don't get sick any more, I'm not as easy to injure and I don't need as much food except when I'm casting heavy spells. It wasn't all thanks to him. He gave me my start and at first I thought it all came from him...but then I met other Ebonites and realized that some of it...some of it I did on my own."

Lightning was fully hers as were her voids. And while he may have shown her the secrets to air and fire, she herself had learned how to wield him, "But...that's why I like following him. He doesn't just bless the strong the way other gods do. He takes anybody who wants him, anybody willing to believe. For someone like me...well..."

She'd been nobody most of her life. And even nobodies deserved a god in their corner.

She brushed away Matika's apology, "It's okay. I ask too many questions sometimes too." She was always curious. It was a gift and a curse.

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
She listened to everything Kendryl said, soaking it all up. She watched as Kendryl, performed magic, but, it still was just a plaything to her. Only a few could actually use it. As for magical items, they really didn't do all that much. But a machine, anyone could use, Sigum, Thayer or Mesai and, now Kodakai. Although the Mesai probably wouldn't, their aversion to machines, which she couldn't really understand. As for the Kodakai, she didn't know them well enough to decide what they felt about machines.

She smiled as Kendryl spoke of the big idea, "someday when you get one of these ideas, come and see me. We could work out the details together and see where it takes us." She shrugged at the mention of magic, "I never had any real desire to do magic. It seemed more a toy to me. Machines are my thing. You can do almost anything with them." But, she had to admit, some of the things Kendryl and a few others did with magic were impressive.

As for the dragon, she decided to confide in Kendryl, "after that fiasco with Axios, I am not sure I want to be Applicant or Keeper. If that is what they want, it is not for me. I have been thinking about quitting and going back to Hearton." And she was quite seriously about it.

She looked somewhat bemused, "can anyone ask too many questions?"

She smiled at Kendryl, as she placed a hand on hers, "I am glad you found someone to believe in. Everyone needs someone to believe in and someone to believe in them. I have no problems with the gods - well - maybe that there are so many of them. The thought of having to deal with only one is --- appealing."

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
"Maybe someday...we could combine them somehow," Kendryl suggested with a smile that was only a bit uncertain. Her father hadn't seen the point in her magic either, albeit his reasons had been different, "My da was...is...an engineer. But he was never very interested."

He was a traditionalist of the old school. She wasn't even sure he'd come to her hatching. But...she was starting to be more okay with that. She'd go back on her own someday and while she might never have the relationship with her family she wanted, she'd build as much of one as she could, "Magic...once you learn magic it's faster. And it's always inside you. You can't lose it...the way you could with a machine...Well...except for dead zones I guess..."

Kendryl gasped in surprise at Matika's confession, "But- you're so close. In just a month, you could have a dragon, be a Keeper, always have a friend...Surely you've seen enough to know they're not all like Axios. Or...even most of him. If you let one qwibus drive you away..."

If Matika left...it might mean Kendryl would slip in under the wire and get a dragon. With her magic, she had to be a LITTLE close...But she didn't want to do it that way. Matika would be a good keeper, steady and cool-headed and COMPETENT. So she whispered, "Between you and me, I don't think anyone likes him very much, keeper or applicant. I'd feel bad but...Well...Whenever I think maybe he's not so bad...He pushes me or insults me or does something else horrible."

Kendryl didn't think he liked any of them but she suspected he disliked her more than most. Because she had none of the skills he valued, she was an obstacle and an annoyance to him, nothing more, "I'm sure the Keepers would much rather have you than him. And if he does get picked...Won't they need someone like you to keep them balanced? Don't let him win."

"And yes..." Kendryl laughed, "According to most people I've met, there are questions one just doesn't ask. But...I've never been very good at knowing what questions those are."

She took Matika's hand, a bit surprised the gesture. Her smile was warm and a bit wistful, "I am too. It's nice to have a god who believes me in too. I don't need multiple patron deities. I just need one who actually gives a darn."

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
Matika though on what Kendryl said about combining machines and magic and it had merit. She probably would never be much of an magic fan, mostly because, she could not do it. But, she was not one to have a closed mind like others. If it could work, she would - think about it. She did smile a little when Kendryl spoke of 'dead zones'. Maybe, magic was not as 'all powerful' as some had claimed.

Kendryl was making some fairly strong arguments for her staying. Well, she was not a quitter. The stress she was feeling, as well as, Axios' unreasonableness compounded with she was beginning her monthly cycle just made that day the worst day ever. Those that she had met here were nice - well - most, she had met a few that were not nice.

When Kendryl confided to her she did not think anyone liked him, she giggled, and whispered, "I know one that totally adores him." She would leave it up to Kendryl who she was talking about.

She sat back, thoughtfully, "then again, some people who really do not like themselves blow themselves up so much as to make them look good in their own eyes. Maybe, all Axios needs is a true friend." She srugged, "either way, I have decided to stay, so, you do not have to face him alone."

"The problem is, if you do not ask the question, how will you ever know if that is the one you should not have asked?" With that bit of twisted logic, she smirked. She did like to mess with other people's minds.

"Kendryl, thank you for your help and advice. You have given me a lot to think about. As you might have noticed, I do not do anything with out pondering it first - well - most of the time. That blow up with Axios was an exception." She grinned sheepishly, "probably my greatest weakness."

She got up and headed back to her dorm room. There she laid in bed, listening to her roommate's snoring, fortunately she did not snore as loud as some of her brothers, thinking about what Kendryl had said. Closing her eyes, she prayed, "Ebon, if you would have me, I want you to be my God an I, your humble servant." She rolled to her side and feel asleep, feeling a great peace come over her.

(( It is DONE! She is now an Ebonite. ))

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Really? There was someone who adored Axios? Well...that was a mystery Kendryl didn't care to ponder too long. She supposed she should be happy for him that he had at least one friend but...It was Axios. He had a way of getting under her skin. Even when she tried to be nice to him...He was just one of those people who saw the world as something he needed to push aside for his own benefit. She didn't like that. And, she realized, she didn't think someone like that should be a Keeper, however talented they were. Keepers were meant to protect the world. Which meant they also had to recognize that the world was worth protecting.

She smiled in relief as Matika decided to stay. Kendryl didn't protecting but...She really didn't like the idea of Axios driving everybody else off. The idea of him not liking himself though...it seemed kind of ridiculous. When Kendryl didn't like herself, which happened more often than she'd like...It only made everyone else loom larger in her eyes. Hard to imagine Axios needing a friend or being insecure. Especially when even the one time Kendryl tried to help him...he made it very clear that his disgust for her went even deeper than his desire to win.

"I'm glad you're staying, Matika," Kendryl said. And meant it, "It's...nice having someone else who understands why I always need to ask. You'll be a good Keeper. I wouldn't take what happened with Axios to heart. He irritates me too more than I care to admit."

Kendryl watched her go. That...hadn't gone as badly as she'd expected. It seemed Ebon had been right and she did know something Matika had needed to hear. And...Matika had said something she needed to hear also. Was it possible Axios felt as lonely and scared as she did? Difficult as it was to imagine...She supposed that when he bonded, they would know. For who could be a better companion than a dragon? And after watching him drag that log around for hours...She believed he'd keep trying until he succeeded. For all his faults, and there were many, a lack of tenacity didn't seem to be among them.

Thank you Ebon. For your guidance, Kendryl let out a quick prayer. As gratifying as the conversation had been...there was also something nice about just having divine attention, of any form. It made her feel she had a purpose. She belonged. Some might be suspicious of this new god, but he'd never given Kendryl any reason to regret giving him her loyalty.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Temple · Next Topic »
Add Reply