Hatching: May 25th

Cadet Group 20
Lesson 4 ~ Ability Training
Next Lesson: May 14th

Cadet Group 21
Lesson 1 ~ Extended Bonding
First Lesson: May 28th
Welcome to Dracadia!

We are an original, dragon bonding RP with influences from Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern) and Gary Gygax (Dungeons and Dragons). We offer a new and unique setting, multiple playable races and four different dragon species used to fight against the Ternarium; the evil monsters that threaten to destroy the people of the world. Become a savior and fight to protect the people of Dracadia!

Try the Get Started! button first; located on the submenu at the top of our site. It's the perfect way to 'get started' and join the fun.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We're a Team...Right?; tag: Etz
Topic Started: Nov 12 2017, 03:32 AM (150 Views)
Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Mari carefully put on a well-pressed blouse and a jingling silvery necklace. She took a deep breath as she tucked her hair behind her ear, checking the mirror to ensure her skin was still smooth and golden and shining and her feathers well-groomed and gleaming with health. She'd been approved today to take command of Wildrush. She didn't know if her wingmates yet knew, but if they didn't, she wanted them to hear it from her, not a stranger.

She didn't know how they'd take the news. She'd been their second for a season now but she was still fairly new to the fort and for all she knew some of them had had their own ambitions towards the slot. But she cared about her wing and knew she was the right one to do this after the months she had spent serving her predecessor so closely. She suspected he may have known his tenure was nearing its end, as he carefully showed her what needed to be done. And while he'd never told her directly, she liked to imagine she had his blessing.

Syndal sat on her shoulder as she walked down to breakfast, head held high and proud, as she spotted a familiar blond Mesai head. Atxertzis, a young mesai who had been a keeper for seven years. He like her was a melee fighter, competent but still kind. He was a psion, although he preferred in her experience to fight with his swords. They weren't friends, but she knew how he fought and she hoped he would stay in Wildrush despite the change in leadership.

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed her own breakfast and walked over asking, "May I join you?"

He was one of the ones she was worried would choose to leave, in all honesty. He had the potential for leadership and she didn't see how he couldn't know that already. But if he wanted to transfer, she wouldn't stand in his way. It was bad for the wing for any leader to cling to tight to one who wished to be anywhere else.
Edited by Atara, Nov 12 2017, 03:38 AM.
Offline Profile Qoute To Top

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
The crazy one (Deborah is just weird).
Atxertzis got himself a light breakfast since it was that time again. Most likely he will pickup something out in the field with Rize. If not then a larger lunch. The nice thing about being a Keeper was, except for the duties around the fort and their call to battle, the rest of the time was their own.

He has been in contact with Fort Purt about a transfer there. But, he was not sure that was what he wanted. Yes, he would be closer to his tribe, but, he has friends here as well. Well, he was not going to make a decision right now. First he will talk to some friends and his mom about it.

He had heard some rumors that his wing-leader planning to move on and seen the new wing-second take some interest in him. Of course she was not the only one. Several others seemed to be interested in that spot as well. He was not since seeing and hearing some of the headaches his mom had.

He just started working on the pheasant leg, when her heard a familiar voice. Looking up he saw Keeper Mari and Syndal with a tray of food. Standing up he bowed his head in respect.

"Please, be my guest. Good morning to both of you. Syndal, My Rize is going on a hunt, if you would like to join."

He knew lizardling ate more often than the larger breeds, but, he knew a few that enjoyed the hunt with their bigger cousins.

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Syndal didn't really need to go on formal hunts the way the bigger dragons did. He ate bugs and fruits and small mice, all the sorts of things easily found at the Fort itself. But he did like flying with them and helping them find the best spots. He couldn't go right now because Mari needed him to back her up, but later, Morning, Atxertzis! That sounds fun! But I need to watch Mari first. My Keeper's more important than fun.

Mari's lips quirked into a smile at her lizardling's determination to protect her. Why he would think she needed it...Well, he probably sensed her nerves. Mari was usually as confident a Keeper as any, but this was her first foray into anything resembling leadership. And while Mari might be a Keeper and a descendent of heroes, she was still only human. And it was nice to know she had her partner's support.

"Thank you," she said as she sat, spreading jam on her own toast. Her breakfast was light by comparison to the Mesai's, just toast and fruit and some juice, "And good morning to you too."

She took a deep breath and got straight to the point. No purpose in beating around the bush. It shouldn't have come as such a shock, "I got the approval to take the lead of Wildrush last evening. I wanted to be the first to tell you and the rest of the wing. And to ask what your own plans are as I plan for our future."

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
As he sat down again, Atxertzis rose a brow at Syndal's remark. There has been a lot of rumors about when Keeper Darok was leaving and who would take his place, Keeper Mari was on that list. Syndal's remark kind of clued him in on the who, but, he was not about to steal her glory. To be promoted to such a position was a high honor.

At the announcement of her becoming the new Wing Leader, Atxertzis grinned and offered his hand, "congratulations! I am glad the kept in the family. Learning the ways of a new Wing Leader can be a real pain. Have you decided on who will replace your position?" He had several i mind, but, definitely not him. He was quite content being one that follows other than one that leads.

She asked about his plans which caused him to pause some in contemplation, "at the moment, to stay where I am. Although, I have been thinking about transferring to Fort Purt to be closer to my tribe. After that invasion from the Ternarium, they have had a rough time of it. Still, I have many friends here, along with my mom. This will be a tough decision and not one I will take lightly. So, what do you have planned for us?"

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Mari shook her head. She hadn't even thought much about the practicalities yet, "I only learned a few hours ago myself. I imagine I'll ask at practice today if there are any volunteers. I'd prefer to have someone in the position who's interested enough to take some initiative instead of someone I strong arm into helping me. If you wish to volunteer, you would certainly be one of the more eligible candidates, but we have veteran keepers enough that I hope finding someone will prove little hardship."

Because nobody should be asked to do a duty they didn't choose for themselves. She knew that it was difficult for some people to refuse such requests so she was going to set the precedent she intended to follow. No one in Wildrush would ever be volunteered for something they were unwilling to do if she had any say in the matter. Even if that meant she herself had to work harder to fill in the gaps.

"And thank you. It is an honor I will try my hardest to deserve," Mari said with a small smile. She wasn't new to the burdens of expectations and she was proud to have reached near the top of her chosen profession. And to have been picked to guide her fellows. She would do her best to be worthy of the honor, as she always did.

Mari nodded at Atxertzis' conundrum, "It can be difficult, being torn between loyalty to kin and fort. If you have any need to take time away to assist them, you have my permission as soon as things are somewhat more settled here. So long as the recent spate of disasters doesn't persist...I imagine we can spare a keeper for a season or two, especially if it means you are able to stay with us with a clear conscience and a light heart."

Because if and when the troubles started again and keepers were once more called to arms...They would need every able keeper they could find. If the cost of keeping him at Fort Zephyr was permitting him a brief reprieve, it was an easy choice.

"Right now, I think our primary duty is ensuring the fort is safe for the coming fetch and then helping to repair the damage the hurricane has done to our fort and any other areas the Kodakai wish for assistance in cleaning up. Then...if our sister forts still have work to be done following their own recent tragedies, we will assist them. Otherwise, we will under Master Gar's orders help shore up Fort Zephyr's disaster preparedness. I think the damage has been a reminder to us all how important it is to be ready for the unexpected."

It was all they could do. These storms and earthquakes weren't disasters that could be predicted and pre-empted. They could only be weathered, prepared for and cleaned up after. It wasn't as glamorous as fighting monsters but that made it none the less important.

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
Atxertzis had no doubt in Keeper Mari's abilities. She had proved herself time and time again as the wing's second. She would make a good wing leader. She, further, proved it by making the comment she might ask for volunteers. Someone who wanted the position, most likely would be better for the position. But, there were always exceptions, those that seek power without the ability to exercise it properly. Fortunately, there were none in his wing like that.

When, she mentioned he might be good for the position of wing second, he held up his hands, "Thank you, but, no thank you. I have heard some horror stories about the paperwork and responsibilities from my mom. Also, I am not the leader type." But, then again, neither was she until they drafted her to be wing leader. That is when she found her hidden ability. Well, maybe later, he was not ready now.

He smiled wistfully and nodded when Keeper Mari mentioned how difficult a divided loyalty can be, "yes, it can be and I might take you up on your offer. But, I have been fortunate here. Master Garrow gave me a three day pass to give my people a proper honoring Before I became a Cadet. That is when I found out a lot of people were not as dead as I once thought. It seems, June, before sacrificing herself for both out peoples, asked that they return and rebuild."

Atxertzis bowed, "I am ready, willing and able to do whatever is needed to do."

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Mari smiled at Atxertzis' evaluation. She'd done the job for long enough to know he spoke the truth. Seconding was not for the faint of heart. Or those who wished to enjoy their leisure time, "Deborah, yes? I don't know her well, but I hear good things about her leadership."

It was an unusual scenario, a Mesai calling a Sigum his mother, but Mari wasn't one to begrudge others whatever sort of family they wished to build. She herself still hoped to eventually bear children of her own to continue the Elestrelyn line, but her life as a Keeper left few opportunities for seeking a partner. She supposed if in another decade or two she still desired to raise a young one and had yet to find a partner, she could always adopt one of the too many orphans left behind by this endless war. Legacies mattered, but there was more than blood that made a family.

"And I will not push you. I trust you to know your own limits," Mari agreed with a nod. Her wingmate didn't sound like he was lacking in confidence or unaware of his own abilities. He spoke like a man with full knowledge of his own desires and talents. And she would respect that.

Her eyes softened as he told her of his family. She was glad he'd been permitted the chance for a proper good-bye, all those years ago, "I'm glad for you. It's a heavy thing, to be the last of a people, and I would not wish it for you. I will not stand between you and your kin. I understand that those are bonds that should not be broken."

And Mari trusted that should the Fort have need of him, he would remain unless he chose to transfer officially. He was a solid Keeper who would not abandon his wing in their hour of need.

"I'm glad to hear it. Hopefully the precautions will be just precautions but...I worry. It's been so quiet. I want to believe the peace will last, but...My family has been fighting this war since before I was born. Sometimes I struggle to imagine a true end. Or what the world would like without any monsters to fight."
Edited by Atara, Dec 22 2017, 03:24 AM.

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
Atxertzis blinked with some surprise as Keeper Mari's remark about Keeper Deborah. How did she know? Did he let it slip again? He only told two that he knew of. And, to one, he explained what the honorary title of 'mom' meant. Yes, he does tease her every once in a while by calling her 'mom', but, that was rare. Did she hear him? Or, was it as simple as she figuring it out. Rolling his eyes, he blushed just a little. Just how hard could it be? At the moment there were two female wing leaders he knew of and she was one of them. It did not take a genius to figure out who the other one was. The reason he did not tell other she was his mom, was, except for a few Mesai, most would not understand. She had her own life to live. But, in his heart, he both loved and respected her, like she was his own mother.

He looked down, "Ah, yes. She spent some time in my village. My mother died when I was young, so my father asked her to be 'mom' for a while. I am surprised how fate can play with you. Who would ever suspect, after all this time, we would be Keepers at the same fort." He did not see Keeper Mari needing all the detail on how they met.

He smiled, "I try to, but, every so often, a new challenge pops up," such as finding out you are a Charmer, and not in a social way. "I, also, have to be vigilant about my fear of heights. Although, controlled, fears like that never really go away."

A sad smile formed as he remembered all that did loose their lives, also, those that did not. "I was very lucky. It was not as bad as I had feared. My sister, although, she lost an arm in the battle, is now the Chief of our village and my girlfriend's brother is now the mayor of the Sigum fishing village north of us. They have gone a long way since that day, but, some of the scars still remain. I hope to help them when I can, as I suspect, Keeper Deborah does."

His sad smile took a more grim look to it. Although, he did hope that was the end. But, from all he had heard from those that explored the Ternarium held zone, he feared it might not be.

"From what I have heard from those that explored where the Ternarium once were, this is something evil still up there. I do hope this is the end, but, I fear this might be the calm before the storm."

Atara
Member Avatar
Dragon Hearted
Mari nodded, "I'm glad you had her to watch out for you and I'm sure she's proud."

Most parents were proud of their Keeper children, regardless of whether or not they had dragons of their own. And sharing a Fort with him, surely Deborah knew her adopted son was a decent Keeper who tried his hardest and had the respect of his Fort and wingmates. Which at the end of the day, was all a parent of any sort could ask for.

She tilted her head and gave a small smile, "You must control it well. I never knew you were afraid. How did you overcome it, if you don't mind my asking? I've been able to fly for most of my life so such a thing is hard for me to imagine."

What courage it must take to go so high when you couldn't fly yourself. Mari had nothing but respect for that. And the desire to learn how he had done it, in case she was ever called to help one struggling with a similar quandary.

Mari nodded in understanding as he described his village, "I'm sure they appreciate your aid. Would you have been Chief, had you not come here?"

She didn't fully understand the mesai system of succession but she knew that among sigum, it passed along family lines. The best of them felt the sense of responsibility towards their people that Atxertzis spoke of. The worst...well...they made her grateful that the Thayer chose their queens.

"I was there," Mari said softly, "As was Deborah, I believe. And yes- there was something...wrong with the area I visited. No Ternarium but...an eeriness. A sort of deadness and corruption that came from depths only the gods can know. Even if there are no more portals, I suspect it will take us generations to fully purge the corruption."

Etlaayz
Member Avatar
Atxertzis blushed and smiled at her remark, "as am I." When she found out he was here, she was very surprised, he was about as far from his home as he could be. Why he picked here still puzzles her, but, she is glad he did.

As Keeper Mari asked how he overcame his fear of heights, he remembered all the hard work he did, as well as, the setback he had. "Two and a half years of hard work and determination. I am not sure if anybody else could do this, but, Every day I climbed as high as I dared, each day trying to go higher, then sat there wrestling with my fear until I was the master. After I had mastered it, I came down totally exhausted. Truthfully, if it was a choice between wrestling with my fears or wrestling with a Gray, I would pick the Gray. Although, I did get some odd looks, especially when I was perched on to of the fort's bell tower. Also, I am quite glad the bells were not rung that day. By the time I was a Cadet, I was able to climb the tallest trees around the fort. When Rize was able to carry me, he flew up until I began to feel the fear and leveled off until I had overcome it. Soon he could go as high as he could without so much as a twinge."

Atxertzis smiled impishly, "by the way, you would not know any Thayer with the fear of heights?"

He thought a moment, "probably not, my elder sister was always the bossy one and a leader. Since the Chief did not have any children, I am not really surprised she became Chief. I would have followed in my father's footsteps and became Martial Arts Master of the tribe."

Atxertzis listened somberly at Keeper Mari's description of what she found. Just as somberly he replied, "yes she was. She told me what she found up there and I heard from others similar stories."

He looked at her with determined look, "then, we have better remain diligent to oppose whatever is up there."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Mess Hall · Next Topic »
Add Reply