Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TC Omega
Topic Started: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm (697 Views)
Cashman

Hey all you muzzy experts. I just got a TC Omega .50 with a Nikon 3-9 power scope with the calculated reticle. I think that's what he called it. Nice weapon, thumbhole stock, stainless barrel, everything camo painted. I got it in trade for $250 value. I have shot this weapon in the past, but have never been a serious black powder guy. He was shooting 250 gr tc something bullets, and evidently that is what the scope is "calculated" for. Another friend told me that barnes mz expander bullets with 3 pellets behind them is the only way to go. Any Opinions?

Let the games begin...
Edited by Cashman, Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MRD
Member Avatar

I like the bullet weight for deer but was never a fan of the mag. load of 150 (three pellet) . I load loose powder so I can tweak the group and start at 100 , my Knight shoots that weight bullet best with 90 . Play with the sabots around those bullets as well , it can make a surprising difference . I shoot Hornady XTP .
Edited by MRD, Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:14 pm.

Dave N
Member Avatar

You got a pretty good deal it sounds like. He probably was shooting Shockwaves. That's what I run in my Pro Hunter. I have a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on mine and it's calibrated for the Shockwaves with 2 or 3 pellets. There are markings on the power ring for both although I've never used them. I shoot 2 50 gr. pellets of 777 with the 250 gr. Shockwaves and normally have my scope cranked up to 9. It's a great combination for deer. As far as 2 or 3 pellets, I think 3 is a waste of powder. Any gain in velocity or range that you may get with 3 is NOT worth it. 2 pellets work just fine. Plus it costs less to shoot AND it saves your shoulder the extra punishment. I think it was Jim Shockey that said "if you need 150 grains to shoot at an animal you are shooting too far". Or something on those lines anyway. I would stick with 2 and give it a try. Have fun!

TWerth
Member Avatar

Also use 2 pellets of 777. After using loose powder to Zero and found that two works very will with the 250 grain TC Shockwaves, ezglide.

Big Dawg

My old friend and brother Veteran Dennis is alive and well ! I would agree to stick with 2 50gr pellets and you will kill many deer or hogs without any problems. Using anymore is just not worth the extra recoil and the difference it will make is not enough to justify the pain. Good to see you back and around. e522671

GooseIsland
Member Avatar

Cash,
Any of the guys here would tell you that each smokepole is different in that, they like specific powder loads and bullets. The trick if finding one that your rifle and you can reliably hit your target with enough stopping power to bring it down. Since the previous owner had a powder/bullet combination that he used, give it a try. If you can reliably hit your target at ranges you normally hunt, don't change it. If it doesn't work for you, experiment. I agree with Big Dawg that 3 pellets (150 gr) is probably overkill (unless you shoot some major long ranges). My New England Firearms "Sidekick" likes 245 grain Powerbelts paired with 2 triple 7 pellets. That combination, minus the variable of the nut that holds the trigger, will reliably give a 1.5 inch grouping at 50 yards which is a normal range where I hunt. Best of luck to you and be safe.

TWerth
Member Avatar

Guess I should have explained this a bit more. I used loose powder ar various grains from 70 on up to see which amount worked better with the 250 shockwaves. It turned out that 100 grains was ok so used pellets instead of loose after that. I also checked out a few other bullets to see which one zeroed with various loads better. Kind of expensive to do but gives you a good load in the end.

Cashman

Update time. I tried the 250 expander mz barnes bullet like the guy before me. It grouped 1.75 inches at 100 yds. Not acceptable. I then trie the 300 gr expander mz barnes with 3 pellets and got three holes touching at 100 yds. I like the accuracy and prefer the heavier bullet for the better terminal energy out to 200 yds. I am going to be using this thing on elk and need the extra punch. Surprisingly, the recoil is comparable to my 7 mag. I think I may have found my load.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

TWerth
Member Avatar

yup. with three pellets you should use a heavier bullet for better accuarcy. and if shooting that far three pellets is better then two. Around here I am lucky to shoot 80 yards with all the hills and valleys and trees etc.

Grizzly
Member Avatar

Glad ya found your load cash. A group as close as 1.75 @ 100 yds is pretty good with a smokepole but , like goose was saying, you found what it likes and that's what counts. I'm like most on here and shoot only 100 gr 245 power belts. Like TWerth said, we don't have to far to shoot around here because of the hills unless we hit a long field. Btw, 100 gr will still take down a elk. How do you like your bdc reticle? Is it made specifically for muzzleloaders? I missed every hunting season last year due to my heart attacks and muzzleloader season was one of the ones I missed the most! I'm a little stronger than I was so hopefully, I can manage to get out this yr!

Cashman

Hey Griz,
I am not too sure about the BDC scope. While it is calibrated for the 250 gr bullet, the 300 with the 150 gr load shoots within an inch or 2 clear out to 250 yds of the scope calibration. The only problem for me is the extra circles in the scope. I like the clean crosshair look, and still can remember my ballistic curve aim point for my 7 mag and now for the Omega. If it is beyond 250, I simply will not take the shot. My eyesight is not as good as it once was.

Get yer ticker back in shapee and get back out there. If you lay down, you die. Keep walking.

Grizzly
Member Avatar

Cash, those "extra" circles mean "bdc" (bullet drop compensator) and if you have the right load, it helps you put the bullet where it belongs at longer ranges. There's no 'he looks to be about so many yds away' involved. I have one on my 300 win mag, thanks to sarge, but I also use a range finder with it. It's one of the best investments I ever made. I currently own 2 smoke poles. One's a cva 150 mag hunter that I've owned now for about 12 yrs and the other is a .45 kentucky long rifle, which I retired. I have a scope on my cva but iron sights, just a 'v' notch in the rear w/a single blade up front, on the .45. In the .45, I used 90 gr powder w/a buffalo bullet and it was dead on @ 100 yds. I just filed down the front sight till I had it just right. I shot a coyote with it once at close to 100 yds while he faced me. When the smoke cleared enough for me to see him, he was sit'n on his ass, all stiffed up and fell over to my left on his side. Funniest thing I ever saw! It was almost 'cartoonish'. When I checked the yote, he had a hole right where I had aimed (right under his nose center chest) and found the bullet close to exit just below his ass. He had one foot missing, can't remember which one, and it was healed over. As for my ticker, it's not going to get any better but I'm not laying down either! I walk until I get out of breath which isn't but about 50 yds. I see my heart doc on the 19th this month and hopefully a ssd judge! My bill's are start'n to overwhelm me and my funds are get'n severly depleted. My lawyer needs to step things up a notch! Anyway, enjoy the new TC and my best wish's for you get'n an elk. Hope you post pics when you do. Elk meat is top notch eat'n!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Black Powder · Next Topic »
Add Reply