Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hawken makes meat; Smoke pole buck
Topic Started: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 pm (1,213 Views)
Shiloh
Member Avatar

B-) This was an interesting hunt. After a 3 year dry spell due to "life events" I decided on a whim to suit up and head out back in to the small patch of woods behind my house Saturday evening about an hr before dark. It was TN's opening muzzleloading weekend and I had heard a few distant booms that morning, but was out and about with my wife and her daughter all morning an dmid day. I noticed many great looking hunting sites all day as we drove around and could not help but notice pickup trucks parked off in the fields along woodlines. I got the itch to at least get my stuff on and go sit in the woods even though I am without any decent property after loosing mine in the recent divorce move and sale.

Well as I walked outside, my 3 dogs started barking at me in excitement of seeing me so near feed time. Also, the next door neighbor decided the time was right to step out back and open up with his 9mm pistol sounding like a police academy range all by himself. No telling how many magazines he went through over the following 15 minutes. ^o)

I trekked about 50 yds off angling back and away from that neighbor's house and my own not expecting to see anything at all indeed having never seen sign of deer back there anyway. I was not trying to be quiet really either with all his banging and the dogs barking and the dry leaves crunching with each step. At about 50 yds, I came across several fresh scrapes! The noticed a fresh rub in line with the scrapes! I looked around and saw a lot of trails in the leaves like deer may have been passing all around there recently so I sat down and pulle dmy phone out, snapped a picture of the rub in front of me and sent it to my step-son that was hunting with his dad in KY about an hr north of me. I added that there was lots of sign but the neighbor was shooting so much there was no chance of me seeing a deer. i pressed "send" and immediately heard the unmistakable sound of deer moving fast in the dry leaves behind me! I glanced over me shoulder, saw a doe being tailed close by a buck headed toward me. I literally dropped the phone at my feet, grabbed the Hawken, cocked, aimed at him as he passed about 20 yds to my left and "snap!" Aargh! Well, that's part of the muzzleloader game I knew but I also knew I had seen full-rut-crazed bucks before and realized he was oblivious to me and my cap not to mention the dogs, 9mm fire and normal neighborhood sounds around him. I was shaking as I got my little cap tin out, having failed to find my in-line capper before heading out and got a new cap onto the nipple just as the doe led the old fella right back the same way they had come. I aimed and hollooed him but he ignored me so I had to follow him aimed and ready for the first gap in the trees I could find and "WHAM!" Cap set the charge off that time perfectly and through the smoke I saw him with a quicker step but still apparently following her but his tail was tucked. i knew he had been hit but how well and where? About 20-30 yds away and over a slight rise he had vanished from view but the sudden jostling of a sapling told me where he had gone down.

I looked for blood but did not notice any until I saw him down and saw then that there was droplets scattered around just before he had gone down. The supposed "poky little ball" by the supposed "anemic" 65 grs of FFFg put him down nicely with what turned out to be a perfect shot placement and full penetration. Autopsy during dressing showed his body cavity had filled up with bright red blood. Both lungs were blown and the ball went between ribs on both sides.

Looked at my phone as I snapped the picture to text to my step-son and realized from teh time I had walked out my back door until I snapped the picture was - 10 minutes. :D And, what is more amazing in this unique hunt was that while I was gutting the buck, anothe rbuck was chasing at least 1 doe and maybe 2 through the woods near me. i caught a glimpse of them about 40-50 yds off but never saw his rack. The rut is in full swing right now in TN!!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: photo.jpg (176.15 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
nicely done. had to look twice at who posted this. was going to say, Shi will like this gun.

yote
Member Avatar

right on. congrats

Dave N
Member Avatar

Nice job with the front-stuffer! Still waiting to kill one with my .54 Renegade.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Nice job. What do you think of the traditions kits? Thinkin about doin one in a hawken or ky rifle

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Never done a Traditions kit but most such kits are relativiely easy to put together. The 1 I used is my go-to deer gun regardless of season. It is an old CVA .50" Hawken. I replaced the barrel after a gunsmithing mishap (measure twice cut once was not abided by by yours-truly) and I put period-correct sights on it and simply oiled the wood after I removed the walnut varnish-like stain. Browned the steel where not color-cased and put a soft Vero sling on it for hunting comfort. I typically use a ball and 65 grs of FFFg but also have a load for a 460 grs T/C Maxi-Ball over 70 grs FFg that does quite well. I have other smokers but that one is my baby.

I'd rather shoot one with a traditional smoker than anything else.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Thanks for the info. I'll most likely drop you a pm when I get closer to actually doing it and get some more indepth pointers from you if that's ok.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

No problem at all. I kinda like talking about guns. ;-)

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

I have a Traditions 50 cal. inline, it works very well but I like using the CVA Hawkens 54 cal. Grizzly gave me when I was at his place a few years ago.

jr loyd
Member Avatar

Still waiting for my first with a front loader.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

B-) I've taken critters with a recurve bow, handguns, shotguns, rifles and traditional smokers and have to say the most satisfying of methods I have found has been traditional smokers. There is something about them more so than anything else that connects me to the past. I am not alone in the woods with my Hawken or KY or Enfield, etc. I always feel like some ghost is there with me quietly watching intently for game to fill his winter meat box or looking for an enemy or something. Good luck out there!

Dave N
Member Avatar

Strange, I kind of had that same feeling the first time I went out with my Renegade! Modern clothes, but percussion rifle with a fringed possibles bag over my shoulder.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MRD
Member Avatar

Amen to that thought Shiloh . I do love bow hunting , but our late flint lock season gets a week of vac. days saved for every year . Just something about it that can't be put into words for me .

Shiloh
Member Avatar

I had a great fall hunt in Mid-TN about 10 years ago sitting atop a small wooded hill that was literally golden with all the yellow sugar maple leaves around the ground and still above me as sunlight blazed through. I was sitting by and leaned back against an angled odl tombstone for a Mr. Elam that once had the remains of the old cabin in the field below the graveyard. It is an overgrown cemetery filled with unmarked graves and a few stones like his dating from the late 1700s through right after the Civil War. I had my Hawken that day, too and actually felt comfortable talking quietly to Mr. Elam I was sitting on top of. It was a welcoming feeling and I was blessed after a while with several does frolicking around me having the time of their lives. It's all fun and games though until someone gets a lead slug through her boiler room. The boom and white cloud seemed completely natural in that setting and I will never forget the bright red dropletes on those yellow leaves that lead me to her not far away at the base of the remains of a fence line that had been in that same spot probably since it was torn down in 1862 by Confederates for firewood. Almost felt like Mr. Elam was smiling at me as I walked away from his final resting place toward the doe. Corny but it is a neat feeling.

Now, had I been sitting there and a voice said "Hi" to me I'd have landed in the next county!

JimDeacon

Wonderful imagery Todd. Not a half bad looking front stuffer either.

Crosby87
Member Avatar

Awesome story. Thanks.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Good story, it would have been nice if Mr. Elam would have helped you drag the deer out of the woulds too.

TWerth
Member Avatar

Well I have a more limited imagination, lol. but do like the feeling of taking a deer with BP. Had a great chance in early BP season here in Ky, at the last second I remembered I left my regular hearing aids in and had not put in the game ears. So pulled the hearing aid out, dropped it against the wood wall, bounced on the 2x4 below, and yup, there went the doe out of site. and she stood on the other side of the creek and blew and stomped for a good 15 min.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Now thats funny right there. pennysxqk7112

big bad hunter

nice buck shiloh , congrats on smoke pole hunting and looks like perfect shot placement
i had a 3x3 run at me once ( thats a 6 pointer for you eastern folk ) running down hill thru trees and had my hawkin 54 with black belt bullet all set to fire , hammer back and BANG , and again BANG , buck fell down about 80 yards in front of me . i walked over and a kid about 16 or so was pulling up his pants and walking from his pile of brown stuff on the ground . said he was in middle of it and buck came running . e610848
i helped him drag 1/4 mile to road and offered to gut HIS FIRST EVER KILL but he said no thanks , waiting for his dad . i shook his hand and left
now that kid will have one heck of a story for his grand kids some day
and i'm still looking for first smoke pole kill nopity

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

There were two Bangs, but did one come from your smokepole??? If so are you sure it wasn't your deer or did you like his story better then yours?????LOL

big bad hunter

RHenshaw
Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 pm
There were two Bangs, but did one come from your smokepole??? If so are you sure it wasn't your deer or did you like his story better then yours?????LOL

both his shot
he said he shot in mid dump and fell sideways against tree , buck fell down and got back up and he stood up and shot second time dropping buck for good
buck was still 80 yards or so from me heading straight at me and i was waiting for side shot

Crosby87
Member Avatar

big bad hunter
Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

i had a 3x3 run at me once ( thats a 6 pointer for you eastern folk )
At least us eastern folk can do math. 3x3=9. LOL roflmao sarcasm2

big bad hunter

Crosby87
Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 pm
big bad hunter
Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

i had a 3x3 run at me once ( thats a 6 pointer for you eastern folk )
At least us eastern folk can do math. 3x3=9. LOL roflmao sarcasm2
what can i say , california education e522682 234jlkjd

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Hay I was raised there and I knew you screewed the pooch. just sayin..... LOL

MRD
Member Avatar

Ok I'm an eastern guy and got the 3X3 joke ; but what does "screewed the pooch" mean ? Rhen...

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Kid was lucky he didn't recoil over into his own pile! :X
I'll be going to the same area Thursday morning with my step-son and his KY rifle i gave him last year for Christmas in hopes he can tag his 1st deer. He's been hunting hard with his dad all year but so far not gotten a shot. Story is he keeps falling asleep on stand and missing sightings his dad tries waking him up for. His dad nailed a nice 8-pt last week while the boy snoozed. The shot woke him up and he got to help clean it and haul it out but he is frustrated with his bad luck and innability to get one. I am hoping he gets one. I have told him all sorts of tales of how hard-core deer hunters eat a bite of their first-deer's liver while still warm from the gut pile. He is half-scared I am going to make him do that so he may intentionally miss. :D

MRD
Member Avatar

Haa haa you just reminded me about the time I told the liver tale to a friend that never got one yet . Well the next year he finally got one and couldn't wait to tell me everything ; then he got to the part "oh and I even did what you said when I gutted it" . "What's that" I asked and he went on to tell me he actually did take a bite of liver off it . All I could say was "good for you" .

Shiloh
Member Avatar

LOL! Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Black Powder · Next Topic »
Add Reply