Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
getting new training collar
Topic Started: Thu Oct 8, 2015 4:53 pm (1,047 Views)
big bad hunter

http://www.amazon.com/Dogtra-ARC-Remote-Training-Collar/dp/B00NXYXVU6 just got this for pup . got it thru cabelas and not amazon . 234.00 at cabelas
he just wont listen and keeps running . chased cows at deer camp this year for 45 minutes before getting back to camp .
anyone ever try this collar ???????? any reviews ???????
looks like its what i want AND NEED for pup
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Still Alive

Never used anything like that for dogs. (Wish I had had one for the X wife though.) Was always too broke or cheap and had to make due with time and patience. Don't know what is worse, getting through the puppy stages or retraining an screwed up older dog.
Sorry I can't answer the question.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

big bad hunter

i've never had a dog so stubborn before
he just ignores my commands if he gets a head start by 2 steps talktothehand . he wants to play with every animal in the forest and just wont stop running till hes tired . sndly thkg
i hate that kind of training but one way or another he will learn .

big bad hunter

just got new collar in mail today , its charging e522679
tomorrow after VA doc appointment , the fun begins
i read instructions with unit in my hand so get things started e522675
hate reading instructions meant for genius doctors
im a redneck and can barely understand how to open a beer can sndly

Still Alive

Opening beer cans is in a red necks DNA, no understanding required. ;) Now corked wine however........

big bad hunter

Still Alive
Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Opening beer cans is in a red necks DNA, no understanding required. ;) Now corked wine however........
my whine is in a box or screw top e529166
pup hates the new collar at home . thinks its his fence collar and just lays down without even turning it on hng
its waterproof so taking him out running swimming again next week to the area i made videos in . i posted vids on california side .
he runs wild out there and it be good away from home to see how he responds . wont even turn it on if he dont run wild

Toonces
Member Avatar

Not a fan of shock collars myself. How old is the dog? How long have you spent trying to teach him. I doubt electrocuting him is going to be the answer.

big bad hunter

i never been fan of shocking either
he is 3 1/2 year old mostly chocolate lab , got him at 12 weeks old or so .
im retired so he is with me 24/7 unless i go somewhere he cant go .
the first year i spent hours and hours each day on training . 2 - 3 days a week running in a wildlife area off the leash and on when people are close .
he started howling and barking non stop when i leave him alone when i go shopping and neighbors said something to me . got wire fence and the shock collar . he hates it but now he quiet when i leave .
he runs to anyone walking and i cant stop him unless on leash , runs after all animals cause he wants to play and i can only stop him if i yell NO NO before he gets 1 step away . he really does want to play . how do you tell them he cant play /
this collar looks similar to that fence collar and when its on him he just sits there or stays right behind me and i have not even turned it on yet .
thats only in the yard , need to take him to the hills to see how it will really work and see if i will ever turn it on thkg
Edited by big bad hunter, Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm.

Toonces
Member Avatar

Sounds like he is just being a normal labrador retriever to me. When he is off leash does he follow you? In other words if he is running out in front of you and you stop walking will he come back to you or if he is behind you sniffing around and you get out in front will he run up to you and past you to get back in front?

If he is at all paying attention to where you are when he is off leash its relatively easy to influence him to do what you want and go where you want him to do without saying a word, your body language alone should be enough. If your plan is just to shock him when he wants to go chase an bird or play, your going to end up with a very resentful and unhappy dog. Just my opinion.

Admittedly my dogs tend to have liberties and are bit more unruly than most people have an appetite for, but my preference is for the dog to be right on the edge of out of control, especially when hunting. A dog that is more worried about obeying my commands than he is with finding birds is not going to reach his full potential as a hunting dog.

big bad hunter

95% of the time he can run free , thats fine . even chase things , be a dog
collar is for those rare times he flat ignores me and chases things like i stated above . cows and was gone about an hour chasing them at deer camp with me hollarin for him .
dont mind him having fun but i do want him to listen when i say NO or STOP
and
he does watch me when walking . adjusts his wondering around to where ever i walk to or direction . when nothing to chase and he 50-100 yards away , all i need to do is say heel or come and he right on me . he just loves to chase things or anoy people by running to them and jumping
stuborne thick headed
i try everything , treats , praise , everything and if its fun to him he dont listen

jr loyd
Member Avatar

I have put a rope on them and with just a little weight it slows them down and they learn faster .I have seen dogs ruined with those collars.My brothers is one .There was no control after he got shocked.

Still Alive

Around here if a dog chases livestock, it's fair game to be shot so I would be pretty concerned. I got one dog to quit chasing cows by walking through cow pastures with 60 feet of rope attached to the collar. When he took off he had about 40 feet to listen before hitting the end hard. Mind you chasing a bull that didn't want to play might have had something to do with the dogs change of heart about listening. :D

big bad hunter

my old pup learned the hard way about cows . we were on friends ranch on calif. nevada border , ranch was 5000 acres and he raised beef . we were looking along creek for bucks or coyotes and pup got too close to the heard of about 250-300 . his first encounter . heard treated him like a coyote and all them charged the pup and chased him . they stopped at first fence , took dad and me an hour to drive thru the gates and catch up to him 3 miles away and still running gottarun
he stayed away from cows after that and our hunt area is grazing land
the new pup has not been chased yet except by me yelling sndly

big bad hunter

welp
took pup out today with new collar , out for 3 hours or so .
first half he got a bath , swam in creek and ran all over sniffing and just being a dog .
got to far end of trail , bout mile and half and its beer time , and put on new collar .
he dont like it , even in the yard he just laid down
but after a few minutes he wondered around , then farther and farther
after 15-20 minutes he getting 50-80 yards away and wagging tail having fun .
I HAVE NOT TURNED ON YET
then i turned it on , last mile back to parking lot
he was finally running around like he should but we never saw any people or animals for him to chase . so didnt get a chance to try actual SHOCK CONTROL
he did get out of sight once , about 80 yards away and i hit page , it vibrates only
and he came running back
took about 5 more minutes before he wondered off again but never more than 75-100 feet
to me its a good test
but still need to get out with animals and where he really wants to be an arsehole for real test .
like i stated above , i dont want to shock him , but he needs to learn .
i say good test , no harm no shock no foul thkg

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

I'd love to see the first time you do shock him, just to see his reaction. Could be real funny to watch..... LOL

big bad hunter

RHenshaw
Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:03 pm
I'd love to see the first time you do shock him, just to see his reaction. Could be real funny to watch..... LOL

not that i want to do that
non shock werked so far
but
when i go camping next i know he will run after things and with collar on so i will have camera turned on and make video .
i dont ever want him shocked if other things work but if needed i will e522675

HatfieldHunter

Hey Rhenshaw give the wife the control--put the collar on yourself , then lets see how much fun it could be !!! have you been a good boy or ???? could be a new sex toy !!!!! H H

big bad hunter

HH
had a girlfriend once that was really kinky
she would have loved to try that
but that story is for a different kind of chat cvmn
she was lots of fun e522674

Dave N
Member Avatar

Sounds like you're going about it the right way. If he knows about the collar then pretty soon he'll know when it's put on his neck he needs to obey. Lots of praise for behaving! Eventually, having the collar on will be enough to mean behave whether it's that one or a dummy collar. From your story it sounds like he's off to a good start staying fairly close.

big bad hunter

he does know what a bad dog collar is . had to get one of those wire perimeter dog fences with shock collar . have had that 2 years . he used to crawl over my 3 foot high cyclone fence where it didnt have top bar support and when i left him in the yard and drove away , neighbors said he stood on fence and howled till i got back . neighbors said thanks very much when i got that one . next door had a baby and howling kept waking him up .
when i got this new one , although it looks different , its black like his fence collar and at home with it turned off he just sits on the porch .
95 % of the time he can run and just be a playful dog all he wants
but when camping or hunting he just needs to mind a tad better , and i think this collar will werk just fine . wont really know till next camp trip when he starts chasing animals again sndly
Edited by big bad hunter, Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:05 pm.

big bad hunter

poor pup inhaled something saturday , think piece of plastic from a toy
going to vet in an hour
been really sick and puking and cant hardly breathe
stinking vets in this area suk , gonna cost more than human doc's would cost
pup worth it though
hope i can have a good update e522675

Still Alive

Hope the pup makes it OK with no after effects.
My daughter looked into the pet insurance up here. They looked up the breed and quoted her $100/month. :X Needless to say she didn't go for it

big bad hunter

pup still kicking and seems much better
slept most of last night and only puked 3 times that i found
compared to 20 times an hour the 3 days before
and he finally ate something yesterday for first time in 4 days . he was getting real shaky on his feet for awhile . and since he ate and drank i can give him his medicine that required food or water
he scared me for awhile
and vet bill was 438 $ . Xray , 2 bottles pills . was also sedated for Xray
Edited by big bad hunter, Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 pm.

Still Alive

Good to hear.
Had a dog that I got years ago from a Hutterite colony. They were going to drown him so I paid them $5.00. Took him
the local vet to find out he had parvo, limited life. Survived and turned out to be one of the best dogs I've owned (or owned me).
I was lucky that I lived in a small town that a second vet decided to open up in. He did care about the animals before the profit line. I had a dog undergo surgery that died and was not given a bill.

big bad hunter

my old pup had parvo
was bad shape for a couple weeks
after he recovered was the best hunting dog ever . smelled bucks even when driving around
he breathed in so hard he snorted and alerted us
sure miss that pup , put him to sleep in 96
this new one , 3 1/2 years old , is first i had since old one

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hunting Dogs · Next Topic »
Add Reply