Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Looking for used muzzleloader
Topic Started: Wed Mar 2, 2016 3:11 pm (757 Views)
Shiloh
Member Avatar

Anybody have an old traditional-style used but working muzzleloader they would sell cheap? I want a project gun for my son and me to refurb to make him a shooter but don't want to spend a lot on the base project. Figure something like an old CVA Kentucky Rifle or T/C Hawke or the like would be a neat project that would give him something to do in my shop while I am doing other stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

big bad hunter

gave my extra T/C hawken 50 to black powder club last year for raffle prize at rendezvous awards ceremony

GooseIsland
Member Avatar

Check out your local pawn shops.

ternera1
Member Avatar

Shiloh, Olustee any time soon? As soon as I get my ML back, it's yours.
I thought I was getting it back this past weekend, but the guy that has it was out of the country.
Edited by ternera1, Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:19 pm.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Sorry just saw this. Olustee is in mid-Feb. I've never done that one. Too far for my unit to make a big showing.

ternera1
Member Avatar

I hope you found what you were looking for. I offered to give you mine, and you either didn't want it, or need it. Will have to find someone else that needs and/or wants one.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Sorry Ternera1. I am not on here much. I remember you said that but never heard from you that I recall. I still could use one. Never located one. I just want one in working condition with adequate bore as I intend to defarb and refurb it to give to me son. Only interested in traditional side-lock models.

ternera1
Member Avatar

You can see it on the post below.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

I don't see any post below. Can you e-mail?
wattsdefarbs@gmail.com

ternera1
Member Avatar

Pic on the way.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Got it. Very good. Thanks for this offer! It will give my boy something to work on with me in my shop and then become his 1st smoker.

ternera1
Member Avatar

PM me your UPS delivery address. I'll box it and it'll be on the way. Hope it gives him as much enjoyment as it gave me.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Got it Friday! Thanks so much! It is in really great shape, and will give my boy a neat project to work on with me. I plan to direct him step by step as though he is making it for a customer, with him giving input on what he would like were it his. Then, it will be his with memories for a lifetime and intimate knowledge of the gun.
I'll send you something of course! Thanks!

ternera1
Member Avatar

Enjoy it(both you and your son).

Shiloh
Member Avatar

We will. He will always remember working on it, and then of course the years of hunting and shooting fun it will give.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Well, my boy was told by me back in Sept. to help me with the Hawken for "a customer" and I would pay him for the work. Often when he was at my house he asked to work on it, so I would get it out. He scraped the finish off the wood. Then I taught him how to sand wood correctly on it and he worked and worked at it. I inletted an aluminum cross off an old necklace I found somewhere on the left of the buttstock to dress it up a bit. He sanded it flush to the wood. Then, I had him polish the brass on the wire wheel and by hand wet-sanding the parts a nice matte bright tone. W took the scope-bent hammer and heated it with a torch and he tapped the spur back up straight. I plugged the extra barrel holes where a scope mount once had been and welded over each. I filed them flush and then he draw-filed the barrel. Then he wet-sanded the barrel. I replaced the iron sights with old-style rear buck-horn and a German silver front blade. We applied browning solution and let it cure over and over. I stained the stock to give it a darker color than the linseed oil would have naturally, using a reddish colored stain which gives it a good cherry tone. I then applied oil to the stock and hand-rubbed it and then waxed it and buffed it to a nice semi-gloss finish. Literlaly I completed it the morning of 12/24, wrapped it and hd it behind the door in the "presents room" at papa-n-grama's house. As the gifts were handed out, I told a cousin handing them out there was 1 behind the door. She brought it out and he instantly knew it was a gun because he had been expecting one. His cousin and recent step-brother got muzzleloaders on their 11th Christmas and he was eager for his 11th. When he unwrapped it, he was real happy to realize it was the gun he had worked on. Of course he still wants the money for the work. :huh: But he was the hit of the gathering with his big gift.

Our family has a tradition as well that a kid gets a handed-down gun on the 12th B-day. His 12th is actually today. When he gets home, he will have my 1894 Winchester pre-'64 numbered .32 Spl in the case that was bought by my dad in 1969 and went to an uncle, then which I traded a gun for in 2000 and now goes to him with the admonition that his kid gets it on his/her 12th bday. So, the boy has had a big Christmas-Bday week!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Dawson_gets_Hawken_12_24_16.jpg (41.3 KB)

MRD
Member Avatar

Nice !

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
very nice. have always wanted something like that. just do not have the talent to do what you did. but I can build a damn house.

ternera1
Member Avatar

Just seeing that smile has brought me a choking sensation and a tear rolling. Thanks for the memories.
Edited by ternera1, Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:58 pm.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Thanks again terna. I pointed out the deer-notches & told him he better at least even them out. :P

ternera1
Member Avatar

It got to a point when I realized that there would not be much wood left at the rate I was killing deer. Therefore I decided to quit. Sorry about that.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Adds character. I thought of removing them but figured it was an interesting thing for him to look at.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Now you gotta tell a Big Lie and say your Son shot all them deer e522675 .

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Heck if I'm gonna lie about it - I SHOT ALL THEM DEER! LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Black Powder · Next Topic »
Add Reply