Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Winchester Xtended Range Turkey Loads.
Topic Started: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:01 am (1,031 Views)
rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
Anyone here used 'em? Several guys on the South Carolina Outdoors site are swearing by 'em; but I haven't tried 'em since I still use the older Winchester SuperX 3" #6 turkey loads. A friend of mine bought the new 3" XTR loads in #6 and has had two that didn't fire. Both of the shells have deep indentations dead center in the primer, but no boom. He missed an opportunity on a turkey the first of the week because of it, and then missed a chance at a 'yote at 5 yards, this morning. After jacking the two bad shells out and loading another round both times the next shell fired without any problems. It has him worrying about his Mossberg 835, but I believe he's got some bad ammo. Any ideas or similar experiences???????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rooo
Member Avatar

Ron, i patterned with them last year. I have no qualms about taking a shot out to 65yds with my SX3 and an extra full turkey choke. i held the bottom of the diamond in my scope on the top of the targets head. I know it will put a lot of shot in the kill zone, how much penetration there is at that distance, i can't say.

as far as rounds not firing... pick up a cheap box of field loads and see if you can repeat the problem. if the new shells fail to fire, i'd say he has gun issues. I keep my extra shells sorted by shot size, and can't say i've ever had a problem with shotgun shells not going off in the field or at the range. i know that 835 is pretty easy to take all the way apart and pull the firing pin. might just have some debris interfering with it.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
I'm going to see if he'll let me bring the gun home and check it out for him to see if there's a problem with the firing pin or if its' just a bad box of ammo. I've done some work on a rifle of his before, so he'll probably let me check it out.

snider

Less shot going down range WILL get there faster, Hence the name Extended range Just read the Info on the Box.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
Found out that Winchester had a batch of bad primers that got past their quality control inspectors in an entire manufactured lot of the XR shells.

rooo
Member Avatar

That would certainly explain the failure to fire.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
rooo, yep, we checked the gun out and could find no issues with it or any other ammo. My friend took the box and the bad shells back to the dealer who then checked into the problem with the ammo and according to him, what I posted is what Winchester's rep explained to him over the phone.

Winchester did cover the cost of replacing the bad shells with some from a different lot.
Edited by rthomas4, Sat May 14, 2016 11:40 am.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ammunition · Next Topic »
Add Reply