Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Need advice
Topic Started: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:57 pm (614 Views)
Still Alive

So the Kid has been offered a 50 cal. Thompson centre percussion muzzle loader unfired for $250.00 Canadian. Tried to Google the Thompson site but it said unsecured, kind of weird.

Is that a good price? What do you all think of them good and bad. This one is a year or two old.
thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dave N
Member Avatar

He say which model? In general, it's probably not a bad price for an unfired. I have a .54 T/C Renegade that I gave $200 for with some spare supplies thrown in.

big bad hunter

try typing in exact make & model & caliber in google search see what that shows . or try cabelas , they sell lots of T/C

Still Alive

I've asked him to find out more about this thing.

I did google T/C firearms and tried what I thought was their company site but the computer said it was unsecured so I didn't try to go farther.

It's been awhile since I considered toying with black powder. What I remember is soapy water, large messes and rainbow arcs. And to be honest the Kid at times can be a lazy slob. When I asked him about flask and mold he told me no one does that any more. Powder is bought prepackaged in 50 grain increments balls bought done. Dang do I feel like poor old white trash. :D

MRD
Member Avatar

Is he talking in line M. L, or old school cap on the side nipple percussion . Those 50 grain pellets are for in line as they are made to ignite from the rear rather than the side and in my opinion aint worth a crap for optimum load . My in line is a tack driver with 90 grains of trip. 7 loose powder and opens up the group more and more as I add 5 grains at a time . With two 50 grain loads in mine I would be thinking that's all the better the gun can do . Same goes for my flint lock , found an odd number of grains that it likes best .
Edited by MRD, Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:53 pm.

Cashman

It's been awhile since I considered toying with black powder. What I remember is soapy water, large messes and rainbow arcs. And to be honest the Kid at times can be a lazy slob. When I asked him about flask and mold he told me no one does that any more. Powder is bought prepackaged in 50 grain increments balls bought done. Dang do I feel like poor old white trash. :D

That pretty much covers it. Even the "new" inline powders and cleaners make the job a pain. If you can find the "sweet spot", it works well, with enough practice to understand the ballistic curve. The modern bullets perform well and hit like a truck at ranges out to 300 yards. Again, the curve is something he needs to figure out.
Sounds like the price is decent, but research pays off.

Still Alive

The main reason -insert excuse- for looking at this is that he can get permission to hunt on 5000 acres for deer and the odd moose but it is in a primitive weapon only zone about 40 a minute drive away. That is a big bonus because we live near Calgary and most hunting places get clogged up with atv hunters roaring around. Last seasons site was a 3 hour drive to camp and then go from there.

ternera1
Member Avatar

If he can get you in too, then get going. When I got my first M L, I didn't think it was that much trouble to "boil it".
Go for it. You won't regret it.

Cashman

Last seasons site was a 3 hour drive to camp and then go from there.

That is typical for us here in AZ. My elk hunt area is 3 hours away on a good day. My preferred deer area is 4-5 hours away depending on the state of the road thru the rez.

You say the area you are trying to hunt is a " primitive weapon only zone". Here that means no inline muzzle loaders. Is that the case there?

Still Alive

Had a look at the regs for inline guns and couldn't find a clear answer. Anyway the whole thing has become moot. I talked to the farmers daughter ( insert your joke here) and in 40 years the guy has never given any one permission to hunt, not even family. Just wishful thinking by the Kid.

We do have permission to go on a 5000 acre Hutterite colony 30 min. north of here, not meant for the lazy. Lots of walking scouting involved not just sitting in the truck waiting for deer to walk up and say "shoot me" ;)
Guess that's why it's called hunting, not harvesting. :D

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

If you can use a 4 wheeler, you'll have it made.....

Still Alive

My association with the colony goes way back to when I farmed near them. ( After the divorce I had a pick up and she had the farm ^o) ) After the house fire insurance settlement I ended up living in a holiday trailer at their trout pond cow pasture for 6 months -not a lot of fun during an Alberta winter- while I got organized. So hunting there is seeing little Tim the field boss and asking where the deer are and finding out what if any areas to avoid.

The Kid also hunts with some rookie buddies that road hunt, cruising cut lines hoping for a shot. No problem, I've done that too some times but some places you got to get out and walk, look for sign and try to predict animal behavior.

One of his buddies after cruising for an hour wanted to drive 40 miles into town to get a cup of coffee because he had finished his take out cup. :D No, he hasn't been invited again.

snod
Member Avatar

I shoot a Remington 700 inline ML and shoot 3 50 grain pellets (150 gr.). I have shot 4 different bucks at right over 200 yards using a Bushnell scope.. This gun is a real tack driver and takes about 2 minutes to clean and I would highly recommend an inline muzzleloader. Just my 2 cents worth.

Still Alive

Let me preface this with a disclaimer: I am an old opinionated SOB who has no problems with what other people legally do. I like wood stocks and traditional guns. If I wanted and admired the military look, i would have joined the forces.
That said, I really don't consider the inline as a primitive weapon - it's a modern single shot weapon with black powder ballistics.
Following that thought it rules out percussion, flintlock, matchlock and leads to driving a herd over a cliff.Oh well. :huh:
I'll settle on percussion. :D

Cashman

Nothing like traditional...

MRD
Member Avatar

Agree with you completely S. A. , cap and ball and flint lock adds a lot more to the situation especially when you add weather in the mix .

Dave N
Member Avatar

I have a percussion rifle. It's fun to shoot. One day I may just kill a deer with it.

Shiloh
Member Avatar

Traditional is the only way I would go (big surprise, huh?), but I have shot plenty of in-lines. My favorite in-line was the Knight MK-85. That was just a sweet design. Tried the Savage ML10 smokeless and thought "why bother?" and still think it is a dangerous thing to have out there simply out of possible confusion it encourages. I have hunted with flinters and enjoyed it, but I personally like the cap-lock .50" Hawken best. With a 70 grs charge and a patched .490" ball mine is as accurate as I need it to be and has enough punch to punch a 1/2" diameter hole clean through the broadside of any creature I will ever hunt out to 100-150 yds and has the killing power much further if I could get a good shot. IMO nothing in hunting is more satisfying that that white cloud and echoing boom from a big browned octagonal barrel on a cool fall morning as I strain to see the deer and listen to it crash off through the brush...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Black Powder · Next Topic »
Add Reply