Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Throwing Arrows; Next months bear hunt
Topic Started: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 am (571 Views)
snod
Member Avatar

I am throwing about 2-3 hundred arrows a day at my targets getting my muscles tightened up for this years bear hunt next month. A guy don't know just how out of shape you get from one hunting season to the next when your not shooting very much. e527065 The wife says that I need to take her on a hunt out west next year instead of my going to Maine every year bear hunting. big20laught Now that is bullshit! roflmao
Edited by snod, Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

big bad hunter

in local hunt zone , bear rifle starts aug 12 , its usually 100 degrees till mid sept so bring water . in my deer zone where i hunt in far norcal near oregon , bear season starts same time deer , 3rd sat in sept and its usually 40s-60s with rain & snow . nor eastern cal bear opens in mid oct . all seasons for bear run till christmas or till 1800 kills .
non res license is almost 200 and tag is 300
you wouldnt like cal gun restrictions
but anyway , thats out west stuff , tell the wife e522675

jr loyd
Member Avatar

He is talking slinging arrows .That starts third saturday in Aug.In C zones.

Dave N
Member Avatar

I don't shoot 2-3 hundred in a YEAR, let alone a day. Freezer full of venison.

snod
Member Avatar

Well I enjoy shooting my bow and try my damnest to be just as accurate as possible when I hunt game. I shoot 60 to 100 or more arrows in morning about 6 o'clock and then after dinner about the same and right before dark I go out and practice again and usually shoot a few more then that, that is unless one of the grandkids have a game or something. After hunting season I usually quit shooting and then about 60 days before bear season I will start shooting again hard. You can kinda tell by my bow which is now 3 years old and about wore out and yesterday blowed up the cam which slipped and now I have to get a new cam I think and then sight everything in again. Just 3 weeks before we leave for Maine, ain't that just great. LOL

big bad hunter

j r lloyd
at least snod knows what out west bear tags cost now for non res
dont matter if slinging an arrow or lead , tags are tags

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

snod
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:03 pm
Well I enjoy shooting my bow and try my damnest to be just as accurate as possible when I hunt game. I shoot 60 to 100 or more arrows in morning about 6 o'clock and then after dinner about the same and right before dark I go out and practice again and usually shoot a few more then that, that is unless one of the grandkids have a game or something. After hunting season I usually quit shooting and then about 60 days before bear season I will start shooting again hard. You can kinda tell by my bow which is now 3 years old and about wore out and yesterday blowed up the cam which slipped and now I have to get a new cam I think and then sight everything in again. Just 3 weeks before we leave for Maine, ain't that just great. LOL
snod, you can do all that in just one day, but you must stick with it, that's is fixing the bow e522682 e522674

snod
Member Avatar

Rhen, I've been bowhunting for over 40 years. It is my passion, that and Harley's. LOL

yote
Member Avatar

snod
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:02 pm
Rhen, I've been bowhunting for over 40 years. It is my passion, that and Harley's. LOL
e522671 well, I pity harley! but at least all that shooting keeps you away from him. e522680

Still Alive

sndly e529167

MRD
Member Avatar

Good for you snod . I shoot once a week from April till the end of Sept. when our archery deer season starts the next week . Never counted shots , just time . After an hour or so after when the group opens I quit , always figured no sense shooting when quality was gone as the rest are worthless .
Edited by MRD, Tue Aug 1, 2017 7:25 pm.

snod
Member Avatar

Well MRD me and the grand kids try to make it interesting. They throw things like cherry tomatoes when the grass is short and regular tomatoes or potatoes and I figure the yardage and shoot them. Some days I am right on and some days I'm a little off and they get a kick out of it and laugh at me. They have fun with it and I enjoy being with them and teaching them how to shoot also. I practice from a platform and from the sitting position and about every other position imaginable that you can think of that I would be confronted with out in the woods. I enjoy it, and it has really helped me through the years and it shows with the number of good bucks I have taken.

cvmn

e533919
Edited by snod, Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:26 pm.

MRD
Member Avatar

I remember getting the idea of shooting tomatoes off a 2X4 before ; what a mess on the arrows .

jburing

Well, Snod, ya shamed me into slinging some arrows too!!! ;) Haven't shot any since end of April, prior to May turkey season.

Good luck with the hunt!!

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
be a couple more weeks before I can pull the bow safely. 2 weeks after the next surgery.

did get the new site out on the bow yesterday. and the kid even sited it in for me. so, hopefully no major adjustments when I shoot it.

MRD
Member Avatar

Yea I hear that , no pressure on the eye for a while . So what's the new toy you got ? Should hit good for you at the least ; then there's better and best if you like to play with it .

snod
Member Avatar

Well good for you Jeff, and thanks. It is 6 more days and a wakeup for us to leave now. My buddy whom was going with me this year cancelled at the last minute because of business so I thought I would just not go for the first time in many years, but now my son has decided he needs some time off his business and me and him are going together. He has decided not to even hunt and just wants some quiet time at the cabin while me and another friend hunt because he has been so busy with his construction business he just doesn't want to hear a phone. Good for me!

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
spot hogg site. hunter series. got the 5 pin, but now wish I would have gone with the 3 pin.

both eyes right now, are at 20/20. pins on the site are at a spot where I can make them out. most of the time. might have to wear some readers when hunting?

MRD
Member Avatar

Know what ya mean there , years ago on my old bow got got a 5 pin sight for it and found it to be crowded . Ended up dropping 4 @ 5 out of the picture (or remove them) . Then brought up 4 for shits and giggles at 50 on the range for fun . I stick with a 3 now . Readers won't work as I need them when I adjust sights , forget to take them off and try a shot . The target focus is worthless .

snod
Member Avatar

I just got back from my yearly Maine black bear hunt out in Maine and got me another black bear. I had a great hunt this year and really enjoyed this hunt as I went out there this year with my 43 year old only son and had a great bonding trip on the trip out there and possibly plan on riding our bikes out there next year to hunt and very well my have our own place out there next year as we made an offer on a cabin while we were out there. My son did as I did and fell in love with the great state of Maine while out there and could not be talked out of trying to buy a cabin though I want one with more property then the one we made the offer on. Instead of waiting for a bigger bear this year I got one slightly over 250 this year just so I could make some of our deer sausage only made with black bear instead. It is still a good bear as the average black bear killed in Maine is between 120-130 lbs., so I am still happy with what I got and I waited until the next to last day of my hunt to get it. I seen a ton of bear out there this year and seen 7 one day and 5 another and actually seen bear every day of my 10 day hunt. I will be having this bear done as a full body mount just as it looked at the shot, and consider myself lucky that my best buddy is my taxidermist and that I only pay for the material to have my stuff mounted. Lucky me! LOL e522671 My son is the only one out of the ten or so in our group who went the only hunt and did not see a bear the whole trip. If someone can refresh my memory about how to post some pictures on here I will try to do so, though I never used that tiny pic thing, but I can not remember the picture site that I did use to do so and actually remember nothing about how to do it at all. lil help! e533919
Edited by snod, Thu Sep 7, 2017 7:56 pm.

yote
Member Avatar

nice ! congrats on your bear.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bear · Next Topic »
Add Reply