Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
dove season 2017
Topic Started: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm (629 Views)
cappy bill

Soon very soon . New decoys this year , thinking about the mojo flicker decoys . Guess you put them amongst the full body ground deeks and you get movement , timed so not always running . Sounds real good . Have the mojo electric wing spinners and they work like a magnet .
New for this year also , Karen and I are thinking about a 3 day hunt instead of one day . More relaxing for us old folk . Plus then we can do a BBQ like we did at My stepdad's compound in Maryland .
Hoping there are some of the Eurasia doves around .

As always If anyone is interested let me know the club is in Forrest IL.

e644387
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Still Alive

Never shot doves but was known to hang around granaries shooting pigeons. The kids got to pick the main course for their birthday supper and always picked Dad's pigeon pie.
Good hunting!

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

I've never hunted Dove's either but I have heard you need a WHOLE BUNCH OF SHOTGUN SHELLS to hunt them.....

yote
Member Avatar

sounds fun .
I throw lead at em now an then. even been known to hit one on occasion.

cappy bill

It is said to be a great way to introduce kids to hunting / bird shooting . While this is true I have found it produces sky busters . So many birds , guys don't mind if a flock or 10 get busted before they are in better shooting range .

When I hunt we follow rules that allow the birds to light over decoys or pass shot inside of 45 yards . Still miss a lot and you do have all day shooting that way . That is here. If you hunt in Mexico you get one 20 box case per hunt , that many birds.

3 day hunt I will bring 20 boxes of shell just to be on the safe side , max 3 day limit is 45 birds , also max possession limit .

e644387

cappy bill

The dove butts have arrived , have to get them for leasing office { still living with Karen mom } on Monday .
They are the new dove decoy to add movement in your ground decoys . Will report on how they work after we try them . Also got 5 flocked deeks for the dove tree I am making . May do 2 hunts , still working on that .

e644387

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Good Luck Cappy, I remember TNT talking about Dove Hunting and me teasing him bout using Cases of Shotgun Shells instead of Box's, I sure Miss That Old Fart.......

cappy bill

We use to go thru a ton of shells till we started letting them work . On their first pas if you try to shoot them they jinx , see they are watching and as soon as they see any movement they either drop or roll , good luck hitting that , be different if they flew like clay targets . e522671

e644387

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

cappy I sure hope your better at hitting Doves then you are at hitting PIGS LOL big20laught e522674 .

I Just Couldn't Resist That e530067 e543602

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Good one !

cappy bill

Just as much sarcasm2 but with all the birds I decoy in e522674 I can afford to miss a few times .
Thing is ifin you don't see nothen then you don't get to burn no powder ,just chili e524435 e524435

e644387

Dave N
Member Avatar

cappy bill
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:59 am
Thing is ifin you don't see nothen then you don't get to burn no powder ,just chili e524435 e524435

e644387

e522679 e529167

big bad hunter

here in california them eurasian doves season is every day of the year and no limit
i dont waste powder or shot or shoulder shooting them .
i use BB gun on back porch
after 3 or so i call it dinner

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Hey Feller That Chili Weren't Burnt Besides You Never Tried It So How Do You Know, and Hearsay Won't Hold Up In Court..... e522690 sndly e610848 .

Dave N
Member Avatar

Been popping some Eurasians every now and then. I'll take them as much as I can, bigger than a regular dove and darn tasty to boot!

cappy bill

I hope to get some of them this year .

e644387

Dave N
Member Avatar

Shoot 'em any time. No season and no limit.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
We aren't seeing any of the Eurasians down here, and very few of the migratory mourning doves so far. That'll change once all of the peanuts are dug and corn is harvested. The problem is that public hunts are simply too insane, and private ones are too exclusive. The old days of community shoots with the afternoon BBQ are a thing of the past.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Well Hail, what's keeping you from Starting That Tradition All Over Again, or did Your Neighborhood turn into a bunch of Do Good'rs sarcasm2 ?

Dave N
Member Avatar

3 shells shot, 2 doves in the pot

yote
Member Avatar

you missed one!was the sun in yer eyes or sumpthin?

Dave N
Member Avatar

Nah, just shows I'm not perfect! Made me remember to check what choke tube I'm using right now, though! Better do that now...

ternera1
Member Avatar

He was scaring it away because he had enough for him. You believe that B.S., don't you?

yote
Member Avatar

ternera1
Sat Sep 2, 2017 7:35 am
He was scaring it away because he had enough for him. You believe that B.S., don't you?
figured it HAD to be something like that.

Dave N
Member Avatar

Dave N
Sat Sep 2, 2017 7:32 am
Nah, just shows I'm not perfect! Made me remember to check what choke tube I'm using right now, though! Better do that now...
Upon further review, I had the modified tube in. e522675 Switched to full now.

Dave N
Member Avatar

Much better. 2 for 2 so far today!

yote
Member Avatar

Dave N
Sat Sep 2, 2017 2:56 pm
Much better. 2 for 2 so far today!
now yer got et! e522679

Dave N
Member Avatar

Alrighty then! Now we're getting somewhere! Wish I had a field for some flocks passing through, but it looks like the old barnyard shooting gallery will work just fine. Went over to my dad's place right down the road after dinner and got 4 more doves. Yup, it took me 4 shots! For those keeping score, that makes me 8 out of 9 this year. e522671

By the way, I need to correct my statement on the Eurasian doves. There is no bag limit on them, BUT they can only be hunted during the regular dove season here in Illinois. My bad.

Dave N
Member Avatar

2 more shots and 1 more dove in the freezer bag. No, I didn't miss. One shot was for a dang ground squirrel! Got it. Didn't go over yesterday. Figured I would give them a break. Not going after dinner, either. Maybe tomorrow night after work.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Dave N
Choke Shouldn't Make A Difference If You Aim Right sarcasm2 ! LOL

Edited by RHenshaw, Mon Sep 4, 2017 6:21 pm.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
RHenshaw
Fri Sep 1, 2017 4:05 pm
Well Hail, what's keeping you from Starting That Tradition All Over Again, or did Your Neighborhood turn into a bunch of Do Good'rs sarcasm2 ?

Most of us no longer farm and have turned the old farm land into pine plantations.

Dave N
Member Avatar

RHenshaw
Mon Sep 4, 2017 6:20 pm
Dave N
Choke Shouldn't Make A Difference If You Aim Right sarcasm2 ! LOL

Oh, I aimed right. There was a small puff of feathers floating where I had hit it. Just not hard enough at that distance to drop it. I like using full choke so I can take my time lining them up without rushing a close shot. Must be doing OK, I have a bunch in the freezer!

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
I had an old High Standard semi-auto with a fixed full choke. If I was lucky enough to hit a dove with it, there wasn't anything left to pick up. I've always had more luck using a modified choke for those little pocket rockets.

cappy bill

I use a improved cylinder choke , as open as I can get . My shots are 5 to 30 yards when hunting over decoys .
The opening day this year was only ok , from what I heard from the guys at the club . Many birds left the day before , and the rest left after the first day of the season . Saw one bird my first day { second day of season } killed that , and 8 birds second day of hunt , first 2 landed out of range . So moved the deeks up wind of blind and killed the next 6 birds . Farthest shot 20 yrds , all locked in , no jinxing in flight . 20 GA. 7 shot steel . Why steel ? It is faster than lead shot and therefore cuts down lead , makes 2nd and 3rd shots easier . So now on to Pheasants and Deer .

e644387

Dave N
Member Avatar

No decoys, no blind, just a wide open barnyard. 40 yards would be getting close. Pick my shot, take my time, and don't keep shooting when the little buggers light the afterburner! That's why I like the full choke. Shooting 7 1/2s and sometimes 8s, depends on what box I grab a handful of shells from. Haven't seen any the past few days. Got enough for a nice meal. Made the wife happy!

benny

Damn then are they still giving you shit over thatstuff you called chili at the Kentucky gt or did you try again some where else?

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

benny
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 pm
Damn then are they still giving you shit over thatstuff you called chili at the Kentucky gt or did you try again some where else?
Nope same pot of CHILI, you know how these IDJITS are, they find SOMETHING TO GRIPE ABOUT, THEY JUST CAN'T LET IT GO sarcasm2 e543602 .

cappy bill

No shat , see what happens after you miss something , OK missed 6 times , but it was runnin real fast .

Also , was at Bass Pro and saw that Heavy Shot now makes a heavy load for doves . That should help you out Dave . I would pattern it , you may get a nice spread out to 60 yds. for those long shots , I have found I needed a more open choke with their loads .

e644387

jburing

Can't hunt doves here in NY state....yet. DEC has been teasing about it, but with all the citiots from NYC, its hard to get any thing hunting/gun related. That's also the reason we have the highest age limit for youth to hunt big game. They don't get it....the kids have to have a licensed hunter, parent/guardian. Heck, look at all them kid gang bangers with guns.....ugh...

Anyway, back to the topic.....congrats guys on your dove hunts!!!

cappy bill

While hunting in Mi. and while driving around here I have noticed some very nice flocks of doves . Thinking about a late season hunt , need to check dates .

e644387

yote
Member Avatar

BEEN CLOSED HERE SINCE END OF SEPTEMBER

cappy bill

Closed here now but opens first 2 weeks of Jan I think . Will give it a try then , think they will work real good over decoys at mid day to evening with jump shooting in morning .

e644387

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Upland Birds · Next Topic »
Add Reply