Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
dove decoy review .
Topic Started: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am (220 Views)
cappy bill

Hunting was very slow this season for me . I am sure I would nave not been in range of a bird my second day hunting { 3rd day of season } had I not been using decoys . I had 29 full body clip ons different makes , 5 of which were the flocked kind . I really like their look and plan on adding more of those to the spread . 3 full body deeks with the spinning wings and 4 of the new wing tip spinners , plus made a dove tree .

Now , placing the deeks , forget you are hunting doves and think waterfowl . First mistake I made was having decoys everywhere . The club has nice paths mowed so we can find the birds and I put decoys in every lane and all around the blind . Ofcourse the first pair landed on the outer edge out of range . Then switch the deeks around so most were up wind . Puddle ducks will not fly over other puddle ducks . Same with doves , so put full body with spinning wings in lanes you do not want the birds to fly down . IE one running horizontal to bilnd but 50 yds. out , put it right in the middle of lane . It does not bother them , it does attract them , but they will avoid that spot .

I put a third of my clip ons up on stalks to be visable when the birds are further away and the others splt into 3 feeding groups on ground .

Wing spinners work great I put one in each small group of feeding doves a 2 in my bigger group . I put them on a small angle , not flat , just looked better to me .
I picked 2 more lanes that I did not like for the angle the birds would be coming in at and put the last 2 FB spinners in them .

So had a big open hole in front of blind with 2 lanes passing right in front .

Then added the dove tree , about $5.00 , 2, 5ft 3/4 inch pieces of pvc heavy wall a 4 way and a t fitting . Camo paint . Works great but you may need a steel rebar to help keep it in place . I pounded one in a slid the tree over that and 2 more on the outside that I duck taped it too . I then went into woods and found a long branch with a few twigs sticking out of it and added that for more realism . At the 4 way I use a green tomato stake , steal covered in green plastic , and same at top , pvc painted camo brown and gray . This went out 30 yrds , slightly up wind with the decoys looking like they wanted to get into that hole .

This makes the live birds come right for that spot , ended with 6 birds , 3 sets of doubles . The birds did just what I wanted 10 yds. out . I could see them looking at the tree and then the spot they wanted to go , never at me or the blind .

Now the club has 7 fields and I was the only one doing any shooting . Guys said they saw a bird or 2 but they were avoiding anything with a bump or hay bale near it .

So decoys work when done like waterfowl . You maybe thinking that it is a lot of work for doves . Built blind and had decoys set in an hour . plus it is nice to see the birds do what you want . If it had been a normal year we would have shot out over this set up . Also closer shots equal less missed shots and more found birds .

Sure I left something out so ask if you need to .

e644387
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Illinois · Next Topic »
Add Reply