Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rabbit Opener; Beagles First Hunt
Topic Started: Mon Oct 2, 2017 8:44 am (336 Views)
Jhunt
Member Avatar

My attempt at pullin a Toby Benoit:

Today's hunt brought back memories from what feels like a lifetime ago. It's hard to recall exactly the first time I truly considered myself to be a hunter, but other memories are clear as day. I think I was 8 when dad took me to a sporting goods store in Wichita and we came home with my first shotgun: a NEF youth 410. I can remember that the first round of wobble trap was a very disappointing 2/25 run, but that would begin a lot of memories with that little gun. The gun has built memories in Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma, and now Missouri. Today it helped create another first hunt memory. Gus gave me a lot of key reflection moments of just what it is to bring someone new into hunting. His attitude and energy were top notch, but I could always tell he was looking back at me for something. His eyes and lack of distance at times reminded me of the encouragement I myself always looked for. A simple "good boy" or "where's that rabbit" was all that he needed to know he was doing good. The fact that we went without sight of our intended prey wasn't important. We bonded and grew as hunters together in the field, which is more important than any trophy or game bag. Thank you seems too small to the two tagged who have been the biggest hunting mentors of my life. I thought you two would get a chuckle on how the pup "demanded" a McDonald's stop between the two areas we hunted.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
Training a pup can be both rewarding and frustrating at the same time. The fun part is when you find one with some natural instincts and the desire which you simply have to nurture and mold. Sounds as if you and the pup are enjoying the educational process.

MRD
Member Avatar

Ron I found that moment to be the most crazy for me . When he realized his purpose he was a machine that took some time to tone down to work with a human . Henry Jobe Whitetail was one good beagle .

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
I've never really had to work and train a deer hound, but have had some experience training blood tracking and bird dogs. Retrievers have really been the most exasperating in my experience. I did have a GSP that was completely wild when I first got her and actually had to put her on a clothesline rope in order to put my hands on her until she was broken. But, until the day she died, every time I'd take her quail hunting, I'd have to let her run for about thirty minutes before blowing the whistle and getting her settled down to hunt.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

It's definitely an experience!

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
BTW, if it's rabbit season out there, when does deer season open? Down here rabbit season runs from Thanksgiving to March 15th while deer season is Aug. 15th-Jan. 1st. Of course we can run dogs for both.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

I had a Friend that had a Beagle that not only chased the Rabbit He Would Go In The Hole After it and Kill it and Bring the Rabbit Back to Him, he hardly ever had to shoot the Rabbit, that was an quite a thing to see.......

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
The Jack Russell Terrier was originally bred in England to enter the burrow or hole of small game and catch or kill the critter in order to bring it out. This is why the breed has short legs, long bodies, stubby tails, pointed snouts, short ears, and strong extended necks with barrel chests.

Still Alive

You guys have a rabbit season??? Legal to shoot all year in the frozen North. Do you have to buy a tag?

Years ago the X decided to make a fortune raising rabbits. Two of the dogs managed to open the doors on 42 cages. Most of those freed stayed fairly close but had a 1/4 section to get lost in.

So I called in Blue, my self trained hunting mutt. With the sentence " where did it go?" he took off tracking. Guess he didn't like that squirmy thing in his mouth so he just sat on them until I got there. At one point he managed to trap 2 at once. It took me awhile to pick them up because I was laughing so hard watching first one then the other start to squirm free while Blue shot me dirty looks- "hurry up and help dumb ass." :D

I think we managed to capture 37 or 39 escapees.

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
SA, here, we get to hunt rabbits on our regular hunting license. no special tag needed.

used to hunt them all the time when I was younger.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Reg hunting license. Rabbit opens 1 oct runs through 31 Jan. Deer 15 sep-15jan.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

If you 65 or older you don't need the License, but you have to have one for Deer or Turkey.

Still Alive

Alberta has some of the worlds stupidest hunting regulations but rabbits are treated the same as gophers and targets -any time, anywhere with any thing.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
In SC rabbits are considered small game just like squirrels, fox, and bobcats; so no tags are required and they're included with the standard hunting license. All small game opens on Thanksgiving and goes until March 15th.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other Critters · Next Topic »
Add Reply