Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
old arrows
Topic Started: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am (188 Views)
cappy bill

Does anyone know if you can have your compound arrows reworked into crossbow bolts and is it worth it ?

e644387
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MRD
Member Avatar

Just do the math as a shaft is a shaft . The length dictates the spine weight to the shaft srecs . So shorter is going to be able to take more poundage but have to know your shit in this area . So if you have arrows that can meet the specs when cut down you re-fletch and switch nocks for a cross bow .DIY not for the novice , don't have a clue what a shop would want .

GooseIsland
Member Avatar

I really don't think it would be worth it. I look at the heft of my crossbow bolts vs the heft of an arrow and the standard arrow is a lot more slender that my bolts. I'm not sure the arrows would stand up to the stresses of a crossbow. Be safe.

cappy bill

I agree not worth it . I figured that I would have to cut them down , weigh the piece , add nock , point adapter , fletch , then weigh the finished bolt to see if it even gets close . Forgot that they are narrower . All that work plus would have to buy equipment , not worth it .

Thanks guys .

e644387

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Arrows that are built for Compound Bow's or Long Bow's are thinner in thickness then Crossbow Bolts, I don't think they would hold up with the added speed or impact that a Crossbow would shoot the Arrow versus Bolt.
I believe it would be much Smarter and Safer to just buy Good Crossbow Bolts,
BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN SORRY! JMHO.

MRD
Member Avatar

Not exactly Rhen , they are similar and that's why I said "do the math" . When they first came out with carbons I went from this fat aluminium shaft to a much smaller carbon that took an outsert at the front so a tip could be screwed in(they were that small) compared to regular that I shoot today , and back then I shot them at 72# . Even with a compound a 31 inch shaft might be weak spined , but cut it to 30 and it's now stronger spined "physics" . Have no idea of the shafts he wanted to convert , could work or could not based on what you have . That's why I added not for the novice .
Edited by MRD, Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 pm.

cappy bill

Just like you said MRD , would have to tinker , measure , weigh things . The one good part would be if I ever get around to it , test firing can be done with a string . Good back stop and get the bow anchored down , just to see if the shaft would explode . Again way too much work , plus safety issues , easier to just buy new bolts .

e644387

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Crossbows · Next Topic »
Add Reply