Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
bologna
Topic Started: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 pm (114 Views)
TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
wife and I made up 9 sticks of it tonight. be cooking tomorrow. going to use the oven, so I cn see how long it is going to take. have to cook it until we have an internal temperature of 180 degrees. after I figure that out, will smoke them from now on.

also, got the jerky mix put together. will be doing it tomorrow also.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
ok, first stick gone. here's the issue. seemed a little mealy. added the right amount of pork fat this time. also, ground it 2 times. should it only be ground once? anyone know?

tasted great with the ritz crackers and sharp cheddar cheese.

Dave N
Member Avatar

Not sure about the grinding. Have any directions with the mix?

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
nope.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

If you’re going to do sausages ground jerky etc I suggest grinding twice. First grind with the bigger holes and second with the smaller. If just doing burger once is fine.

benny

Grind it till it's pasty if your making bologna. At least that's what Daniel says about beef bologna. It Cooks more even and slices better. All I know is cut it and eat it never made it figure that's Daniels job and he's pretty good at it.

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
Jhunt
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:32 pm
If you’re going to do sausages ground jerky etc I suggest grinding twice. First grind with the bigger holes and second with the smaller. If just doing burger once is fine.
have done it twice the 2 times we have made sausage and bologna. this last time, had issues getting it thru the smaller plate?

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
benny
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:23 pm
Grind it till it's pasty if your making bologna. At least that's what Daniel says about beef bologna. It Cooks more even and slices better. All I know is cut it and eat it never made it figure that's Daniels job and he's pretty good at it.
get's pasty after you put the mix in it. not sure, but thinking using the grinder to stuff the casings may have been the problem. comes with a plate with 3 large spaces to stuff the casings. going to use the sausage stuffer I won when they had the "stuff, stuff" program. or whatever the hell it was called. thinking it will stuff the casings more evenly and tighter?

benny

Could be the cool down. Too fast it's mealy or gritty too slow lumpy and crumbly or breaks apart of easy. D said to hang it while it's cooling also. He said it takes practice to get it right. He doesn't do deer bolonga so he doesn't know how fast or slow too cool it . He cools the bologna he makes in hanging racks in a insulated room with a cent in the roof no idea of the room temp and he won't say just that it takes practice to get it right . You could probably find out by googeling it or somewhere on the internet .

benny

Holy crap I just googled it. There are hundreds of recipes and cooling methods and they are all different in one or more ways. Guess d was right practice practice practice. Good luck Todd.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Agree on using stuffer. It will make life a little easier on you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cooking & Recipes · Next Topic »
Add Reply