Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DIY elk hunting guide
Topic Started: Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:45 pm (183 Views)
benny

Found this online its a pretty interesting guide if you know not g of elk hunting like me. It was written by Dan Allan. It's got some pretty useful links in it to different maps and statistics. If your already a avid elk hunter may not be for you. But who knows you could get something out of it. It's helped me out some I now know where to start looking for a place to elk hunt if I decide not to use a guide. It was worth the ten bucks to me for all the links to maps for BLM and NF lands and such will cut down on research time if nothing else. I found it pretty useful not knowing the first thing about elk hunting. Now have general knowledge of habitat hunting strategies and such think it will prove to be quite useful in planning my hunt. I found it in a backwoods chronicles site. Just type backwoods chronicles into your search engine should get you there to check it out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Sounds like a good find. Thanks for sharing.

benny

I read alot of reveiws that said it was a good source of info for folks that have never been elk hunting. And it covers 7 states he updates it all the time and once you buy it you get updates for free. I've only browsed thru it but already learned alot I didn't know. Some stuff you can find in other publications but its nice to be able to just look in one place for alot of map links.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Hay DING DONG, Just cause you READ A BUNCH OF ARTICALS, it don't mean You'll SHOOT ONE e522675 sndly sarcasm2 .

benny

No but actually going hunting increases my odds quite a bit. You should try it sometime. e610848 sarcasm2 e522671 chicken killer. e522687 . plus I have confidence in my hunting skills and reading articles as you call em gives you an idea of what works and what doesnt. Been talking to alot of folks that have been elk hunting both successfull and the not so lucky. Seems the best way to get a nice bull is to locate one in a low pressure area and cold camp on him. Or he a guide either way you gotta get off the road and out of camp to get it done. Gonna be alot of work and prolly some long days but that's why I want to do it for the challenge. Otherwise I'd just be content shooting whitetails from my blinds and stands. It's not just about killing a elk Rhen its also about getting out of my area and doing some thing I've never done. Seeing places I've never seen you know something some people call an adventure. Would like to kill a big bull first time out but in reality chances are I won't. Damn sure won't if I don't go tho. But I bet I find a way to getrdone eventually maybe I will be one of the lucky ones maybe not but I'm gonna try. Your welcome to put on your hiking boots and come along as well as anyone else is. Hopefully Jhunt finds a way to share this trip with me and then we can tell you all about it. Gotta go fixing to leave for work so I can leave early for another job to finance my hunt. Like I said when I started this my boss is gonna be sorry he said he would match my savings for a hunt hell Rhen by the end of next year i might be able to afford to take you along if you will get out of your recliner that is. e522675

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Beeny if I was a Young Man like you I'd try and make a hunt like that but the Walking For Days Would Prolly Kill An Old Guy Like Me e522682 e522675 .

ternera1
Member Avatar

My hip bones started aching, just reading about it.
Knees were not far behind. e522671

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
Hell, my damn knees won't work as it is. Now, if they ever come up with a really cheap Elk hunt that uses buggies, like the swamp hunts down in S. Florida I might be all in!

benny

Well from what I can gather in colorad they drive the roads looking for elk when they see one they stop get out shoot it from side of the road as long as it's on blm land.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
I wouldn't spend a dime in Colorado since it's became Commiefornia East. I have a cousin and a few friends who used to go out there before all of the gun laws and such changed with the influx of former Commiefornia residents, but now they go to New Mexico, Idaho, Arizona, or even Montana.

benny

Which gunlaws ate you referring to? The only one I seen on there gun laws sight I had a problem with is the lcm testrictions. You can open carry,concealed carry transport long guns with loaded mag. They honor non resident carry permits. Denver is totally screwed up but other than that I saw no reason to not hnt there. It's the closest otc state to me is why I am considering it for my hunt. Two guys o know went there this year had no problems carrying concealed. Both got elk by the way 6x6 and a 5x5 both respectable elk. If I'm missing something about the gun laws please fill me in.

big bad hunter

colorado not near as bad as calif.
new ammo law here took affect jan. 1 - no one can bring ammo into calif. , even if your coming in as out of state hunter . you must buy ammo here . and no mo online ammo purchase .
so far since jan. 1 , ammo prices wet up 25 % and still on the rise , IF YOU CAN FIND IT
very little on walmart shelf now which is the only place in this county for me to buy it .
e522678 e522670

and my edit ;
starting july 1 in kalifornia , you must have a background check to buy ammo and have a 10 day waiting period
Edited by big bad hunter, Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm.

benny

Damn sure glad I don't live there. Would be moving if I did. What about reloads. Can you order online and do it yourself. Hell I would go out of state buy it bring it back and store it somwhere only I knew about. All that's gonna do is make everyone a criminal. Damn laws changeing is why I keep at least two ammo boxes full for everything I own and never throw away brass. Buy all the 30 caliber I can when it's on sale. Got enough 22 ammo to shoot everyday for a month and still have ammo left if I shot 500 rounds a day. Shells for my 10 gauge are a different story tho. That crap is expensive for a gun I don't ever use.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Benny what kind of 10 ga you have? If ya don’t use it hell I may buy it. Been wantin one a while now.

rthomas4
Member Avatar
rthomas4
I was referring to the gun laws that forced several manufacturers, such as Magpul to leave the state.

BBH, that's called back door gun control at it's most basic definition. But, goofy Jerry is all in when it comes to being a sanctuary for the damn wetback criminals.

benny

It's an old pardner. Bought it about 5 years ago to help a guy out with his bills. Damn thing kicks like a team of mules.thought about using it to turkey hunt but shells are hard to find around here. Have to order them online and they are on average $35 a box and most of them only come in boxes of ten I think been awhile since I looked. Think that was reason it went to the back of the safe. $3 a shot is not my idea of affordable.ptetty sure you can buy a new one for around a $100 last time I valued it. They are not expensive guns but you can get more expensive ones but why? I don't usually sell any guns I purchase. Had to sell all my guns once when I first got married and was broke decided after I could only buy back around half of them I wouldn't sell any I managed to buy again. Pawn shops usually have a few in the back if you ask.

benny

Rt if I let laws like that determine where I hunt I wouldn't get to go. Every state has laws that affect big manufacturers in some way which in turn effects the hunters. In my opinion if we turn tail and run every time we don't agree with them we lose. Sorry but Colorado is the most affordable place for me to go elk hunting on a otc hunt. If we don't hunt states with stupid laws eventually we run out of places to hunt. By the time I draw a tag in draw states I'll prolly be to old a broke down to go.

big bad hunter

all reloading components ; brass , primer and projectile are all considered ammo and cannot be brought into the state or bought online .
worst part many hunters will face now in kalifornia is lead free ammo will be required for all hunting starting jan. 1 2019 . i got my lead free only online thru midway usa because no one near me was selling it yet and i hunt with pistol at times so needed lead free pistol ammo . also my 7x57 mauser is one caliber 99 % of all stores do not stock around here . so i got all the lead free ammo i need for the rest of my life for hunting and well over 5000 rounds of lead ammo for all my guns . only thing i might run short of could be duck/goose loads if i start bird hunting again .

big bad hunter

rthomas4
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:22 am
I was referring to the gun laws that forced several manufacturers, such as Magpul to leave the state.

BBH, that's called back door gun control at it's most basic definition. But, goofy Jerry is all in when it comes to being a sanctuary for the damn wetback criminals.
yep , brown nose is an ass but these " GUNMAGEDDEN " laws were passed by liberals in 2016 vote . and brown is leaving at the end of this year but you should see what dick sucker fag is front runner to take his place gavin newsom , gay boy ex - san fran mayor
hng

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

I'm sure glad I moved outta that state in 1972.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Elk · Next Topic »
Add Reply