Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Maybe
Topic Started: Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:35 am (203 Views)
cappy bill

With the trend of eating healthy going on , it has come out that farm raised fish are worthless . Better to eat cardboard .
So MAYBE it is time to get the boat back in order , straighten out the nets and check fishing regs . for IL. commercial fishing. Catfish and drum . We will see , MAYBE the time is right to do some e522673 and get paid for it .

e644387

Edited by cappy bill, Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:35 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Good luck.

benny

Around here farm raised means a spring fed pond. Catfish taste awesome gonna have my pond dug out and enlarged this summer on the list anyway. Was supposed to happen this fall but the guy blew the engine on his escavater and couldn't afford a new one. Wasnt getting enough work his is kinda small and the guys with bigger machines could do it faster.

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Beeny, You Could Just Dig It With Your Shovel LOL .

cappy bill

Farm raised , like in feeding whole populations . Like in MS. Man made . Feed is Purina fish chow , save the middle man and eat the fish chow .

You are making a fishing pond , spring fed with , I hope , bait fish for your catfish . What goes in your fish is what you get out of it .
Just like beef , huge farm raised or free range grass fed . Deer , hard woods or farm land .

Wild fish is better for you .

e644387

RHenshaw
Member Avatar

Depends where you catch those fish, there's some places I wouldn't touch them not matter what DNC say's...

cappy bill

Yea that is what I need to consider when seeing where will it be legal to set net . Lots of things to think about before I start-up again .

e644387

benny

Everything seems to have Mercury in it in the northern part of Wayne county.old bridges had it on them for some idiotic reason old galvanized metal or something. Anyway there's a ban on digging gravel in or around those places because of the heavy mercury.
Cappy any body that has a pond puts steril brim in it for catfish food. No bass or crappie they over populate to quick

cappy bill

Then what you are talking about is natural . They will have what wild fish have in them . Farm fish like in MS. are fed low quality fish food that gets them to 3 to 4 pounds fast . Where I brought my Asian carp was the same place the catfish guts went . They brought them in by the 18 wheeler trailer load . Big numbers , like some cattle farms . Both products are not worth eating . That is why people who eat fast food are hungry a short time later , nothing that the body needs m, so it tells you to feed it again .
What you are doing is very smart , like a home garden . e522679

e644387

benny

Heavy mercury from old galvanizing method is not natural. It comes off the old bridges and settles on the hard pan then when they put in new bridges it gets disturbed. Hence the ban on digging in or around the area. Now if it was one of the old bridges being replaced that is thought to have the mercury used in the galvanizing process they either just move the road where possible or do as little digging as possible to trplace it by putting in culvert bridges. They took out two bridges on Roanoke road and put in culvert bridges and closed the creek to public use untill further notice.been three years already and the creek is still closed to the public.ive got catfish in my neighbors pond spring fed two acres with bluegill for food source along with crawdads and whatever else they find in the pond frogs snakes and such. Bluegill get added twice a year fed them dog food the first year as fingers ling's cheap dog food not the good stuff. They been in there for 4 years now and average weight of the fish we caught last summer was 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. Be glad when my pond gets cleaned out and made bigger so grandkids can fish in it.

cappy bill

Looked up lics. for the deal and it looks real good . The commercial fishing lics, is $35.00 then I can buy a retail lics. for $10.00 with this I can sell the fish out of my car if I want to . This opens up a great market for me and can be done on a part time basis . Then I can also buy a wholesale lics. for $50.00 . This lets me sell to retail shops and we have one close , Supreme Lobster , will see if they are interested , then there is also China Town . Just find a few restarants that want asian carp . The other added cost is $18,50 per device , I.E. set line or net , per year .

I will run this season , it is just like Wicked Tuna . Those Captains do not just make money fishing , they have other jobs where they can make money . By doing the day labor thing we can take time off when fishing is good and work elsewhere when we are not on the water. If the boat needs expensive repair we can just work for one month to cover bills and get back out .

Now to find customers for wholesale , the selling out of truck should be easy . There is a fish Market district in downtown Chitown . Also powerline season is coming up . Have had lots of people in the past ask about fish . Am going to have business cards made to hand out , may not even have to sell wholesale . the better money is in retail .

e644387

Edited by cappy bill, Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 am.

Jhunt
Member Avatar

Good luck.

cappy bill

e522689

Looks like people are already buying Asian carp at some supermarkets , Tony's mom bought some at $1.50 a pound . This is good .

e644387

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fishing Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply