Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Early season wolf hunt results
Topic Started: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm (1,663 Views)
Lunkerdog

These are the #'s for the opening weekend, IMO there pretty good... It makes me wonder if the MNDNR isn't hedging the wolf population #'s

Early Season Status
Zone Status Harvest Target
NORTH WEST

Open

30- Killed

73- Target
EAST CENTRAL

Closed

N/A*
NORTH EAST

Open

14- Killed

33- Target
Edited by Lunkerdog, Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lunkerdog

The numbers are updated daily.

Wolf #'s Update

Lunkerdog

The wolves not taken in the NW zone during the early season will be rolled over to the late season. I can't remember how many tags rolled over last year, but all the quotas were met during the late season.

TWerth
Member Avatar

well looks like they are working on filling them. glad they can hunt some of them.'

Lunkerdog

In the early season the NE zone was closed at 31 animals of a possible 33. Last year the quotas ran over so the MNDNR was a bit more cautious this year.

The NW zone came in at 16 wolves short of the quota... Those have been rolled over into the late season.

The late season started today, but I was busy, and didn't get out. We've got snow coming this week so I'll be able to get the snowmobile out to do some cruising for sign. Wolves cover a pretty good range, but I can cover it faster, so the chess game will begin later this week... Tho I'll probably get out before the snow hits too, everything is frozen so I can get my wheelers pretty much anywhere.

yote
Member Avatar

hey lunkerdog , seen any of them lunkerdogs yet

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
kinda wondering if he didn't get to close to one of them?

yote
Member Avatar

musta huffed and puffed and blew his house down

Tom in Tennessee
Member Avatar

LD, update us buddy! Did you score?

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
what is happening with the wolf hunt?

Lunkerdog

Unfortunately no wolf for me this year... I couldn't get out nearly as much as I had hoped to, and with the lower quotas this year the season ended way sooner than I had anticipated... It's certainly a different hunt... I'll have to do a lot more research for the future, because if this year is any indication I suck at this wolf hunting thing... Next year is coming fast 123456

yote
Member Avatar

bummer, I was hoping you' get one. oh well maybe next year. IF YOU CALL THEM THEY WILL COME

Lunkerdog

Seems like many of the Minnesota folks have tuned in... Half the quota, Half the time to kill them... Last year the season drew out to the end of the season date... Both years the killing went over the quota... Damn I wish I hadn't said that... Now I feel like I suck at this hunt even worse than before!!!

yote
Member Avatar

we all suck at it , cause we're new at it. but I know a guy here in idaho that went out with a baby cottontail call. he set up where he had seen and heard wolves in the past. he called for about five minutes and heard them start howling and a couple minutes later they had surrounded him and he shot two, which is how many he legally could. so don't give up. they may be a bit more intelligent then a coyote but they are still just a stupid animal

TLC
Member Avatar
Administrator
yote, another site I go to has a few guys that have hunted them. where I disagree with you is the stupid animal part. these things are controlled killers that are very good at what they do. that being said, would like a shot at one of these things. when I get back out there for a bear hunt, hoping I can get a tag for one. just in case. last time I/we were there, Queen said she saw one wandering thru the area we were hunting.

Dave N
Member Avatar

Had a wolf tag when I went on my last elk hunt in Idaho. Never saw one, but for the price it was worth picking up a tag. Lots of them in Alaska!

yote
Member Avatar

in idaho wolf tags are over the counter11.50 for residents 31.75 for non-res. seasons run from aug 30 to march31 or untill qouta for unit has been filled most units qouta does not get filled. few really hunt them, most just buy a just in case tag.

Crosby87
Member Avatar

You guys allowed to bait up there in MN?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Minnesota · Next Topic »
Add Reply