Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Health 411. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Probiotics and itching?
Topic Started: Jan 19 2008, 07:47 PM (3,072 Views)
hamola
Mushroom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have noticed that this particular brand of probiotics makes me itchy. Its HMF by Genestra and it is human strain.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this because its killing fungus or am I reacting to something in it?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

beachbuminthecountry
Member Avatar
Master's Degree
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Where are you itching..not sure if that is a point...but it may help others answer your question....IMO...it may be die off...I know the probiotics that I am taking now Natren ..I think that is the name...I have some itching but nothing like when I took other probiotics...other probiotics gave me reactions that seem to make me ALOT worse unless it was because I wasn't eliminating (BM's) fast enough...I just started using more stuff to get the transit time moving and my symptoms are so much better...so if you are getting die off and not eliminating fast enough it could make things feel worse or your having a reaction to the ones you are taking....I asked this similar question too...below are the links talking about taking probiotics and being itchy...Hope it helps...

Here are 2 topics that are similar to your question:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Health_411/ind...owtopic=838&hl=

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Health_411/ind...p?showtopic=901 :thumbup: :D

God Bless
Susan/Beachbum

When satan is knocking at your door, simply just say " Jesus, can You please get that for me"

hamola
Mushroom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Beachbum! I don't "think" I have leaky gut anymore - at least I hope not. And I have heard that you shouldn't take probiotics if you do have it.

I have taken high quantities of other probiotics without this type of reaction. I think I'll try a different brand and see if the same thing happens!

I don't think its die off because I don't usually get itching with that.

The itches are all over. They aren't severe, but it has happened every time I take this brand of probiotics. Itchy on my stomach, then my arm, then my leg, then my foot, now my ear. Just moves around.

What is wierd is I think my dad gets itchy too. I finally got him to take probiotics and seems like he gets itchy from this brand.

All too wierd!!!

AloeGal
Member Avatar
TV Host
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Part of the problem could be FOS. Does your brand say it has FOS in it?? FOS is a Fructose Oligo Saccharide (I think...). It is used as a food source for the bacteria in the pill so they diffferent strains don't eat each other. Problem is that many times the FOS messes with people in different ways. It is NOT what the bacteria were grown on. Natren uses the same medium in the bottle which the bacteria was grown on to keep them happier and not bother the human body. That is why Natren's tastes like milk b/c is is milk. And that is what those 3 bacteria eat.

Human strain - was it refrigerated?? Human or not, if it wasn't refrigerated, it is probably dead. BioActive's is refrigerated to keep it fresh, but will remain viable on the counter for about 1 month. Natren for about 1 week. Natren keeps for up to a year in the 'frige.

And not taking while you have leaky gut is b/c they soil based ones do cause pathogenic infections in the blood stream. Human strain won't. But you need to be aware that just b/c it is normally found the the human gut, doesn't mean it is good for you to take. That is why Naren only uses the 3 mentioned, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidus, and Acidophilus bulgaricus. These are only the best good guys normally in the human gut. Remember that Candida albicans is also normally found in the human gut!! But you wouldn't take it either. ;)
Blessings,
AloeGal :)
You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for....I would die for You. ~ Mercy Me

hamola
Mushroom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
L. Acidophilus (2 strains) 4.5 billion CFU
Bifidobacterium Bifidum 2.25 billion cfu
Bifidobacterium lactis 2.25 billion cfu
Fructo-Oligosaccharides 450 mg

I do keep it refrigerated. So yes, it does have FOS. Funny how the FOS didn't bother me when I used to take Threelac (before I knew about soil based organisms) but now it does. Oh well, won't ponder on that.

I guess I'll get some Natren at the HFS. They sell it there.

Lannie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, those guys crack me up! I was looking at some of their probiotics, and the ingredients, and I found one that says it's for infants that "may contain up to 4.5 billion CFU of lactose." LOLOL! They don't even know what a CFU is, obviously. They also missed the boat when they said their brand is the only brand with human strain bacteria in it. We know it isn't. I wonder what else they "exaggerated" about?

This is the problem when something becomes popular. People want to cash in on it and will say whatever is necessary to make the sale. Most of them don't even know what they're selling (as referenced above by the lactose molecule being referred to as "colony-forming units"). And then the soil-based ones, advertised as "being tough enough to survive stomach acid" and of course, they are, but they can also become pathogenic, and if they're tough enough to survive stomach acid, there's a lot of other things they're tough enough to survive as well. Good luck getting rid of them.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the debacle of "probiotics" in pet food! They put MOLD in them and call them probiotics! Talk about not knowing what the heck they're talking about! And to boot, they charge MORE for them! ACK!

~Lannie
Far away, across the fields
The tolling of the island bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
~~David Gilmour

Chellebob
Member Avatar
Associate's Degree
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It seems that since I began taking the Healthy Trinity every night I have begun having a vaginal itch.. nothing major, but it wasn't there before... so I'm thinking it must be some die off. If it gets worse then I'll do something about it... but for now I'm just waiting and seeing. I haven't had a vaginal yeast infection in years!

AloeGal
Member Avatar
TV Host
Probably die-off. You can call Natren and ask. BB has been using their feminine products for awhile and may have some insight.
Blessings,
You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for....I would die for You. ~ Mercy Me

beachbuminthecountry
Member Avatar
Master's Degree
Yes...I used the gy-na one just once and it helped..I think in the being when I started I got some die off. Yesterday I took a probiotic just about every 3 hours. I love them..I even opened them up and put right on my rash on face and doesn't irritate it at all and helps... I am going to buy the probiotic cream...oops just remembered I have to do that...haha.. :sillyme: . I love there product and it is working great for me. I am too scared to try anything else. If it works don't touch it..(change those words a little).

God Bless
Susan/Beachbum

When satan is knocking at your door, simply just say " Jesus, can You please get that for me"

Chellebob
Member Avatar
Associate's Degree
That's great they are working for you. I think HT is helping me too... but they are sooooo expensive! There is no way I can afford to take three of those a day!

beachbuminthecountry
Member Avatar
Master's Degree
Hey I found a site that sells them cheaper..a lot cheaper..

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...natren&x=31&y=7

God Bless
Susan/Beachbum

Chellebob
Member Avatar
Associate's Degree
WOW! That is ALOT cheaper! I wonder if this is a reputable site? They don't have a rating system set up for it like most sites do these days. I wonder if I can cancel my order with Natren since they don't ship anything until Monday?

How on earth can other companies sell HT so much cheaper? Why does Natren charge so much from their site?
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Edited to say that I found where customers rated this company. I would be a littel worried about ordering HT from them being that it has to be kept cold and I would like it quickly. Many of the reviews stated that they had a to wait a long time for their order, or found out that it was on back order after they had already placed their order. Also I noticed one that said her liquid vitamins came frozen.. apparently wasn't supposed to. Another said she paid for expedited shipping and it still took a long time to receive her order.... and another said that she was told if her order came up to over $100 then the shipping rate would be a flat $5, but they charged her $20 for shipping anyway. Makes me wary of them.

It's cheaper here too:
http://www.vitacost.com/Natren-Healthy-Trinity

And here: http://mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/40217/S/10000

The Mother Nature has a 5 star rating through the Nextag Comparison shopping site: http://www.nextag.com/Natren-Healthy-Trini...303/prices-html

AloeGal
Member Avatar
TV Host
That is the reason I have not added to the co-op. I don't have a problem keeping it in the frige here, I do that with BioActive's, but getting it shipped to you and cold is the problem. I don't have all the packing supplies. I am checking with Natren Monday to see if they can drop ship for the co-op. The did with Lannie's newsletter.
Blessings,

beachbuminthecountry
Member Avatar
Master's Degree
They may order in large quanities..

HB...one day you will be able too...be patient..

God Bless
Susan/Beachbum

naesmayonnaise
Mushroom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmmm. Something else to consider. I wonder if my probiotic is making me itchy and giving me hives that seem to come and go and I can't tell what is making me have hives. Things that make me go hmmmmmm.

Naes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Probiotics And Digestive Health · Next Topic »
Add Reply