web
analytics
It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Gwen in Star Wars (contains spoilers)
Topic Started: Jun 21 2014, 02:14 PM (27,439 Views)
Chicky
Kingsguard
Has anyone seen this? (Warning: there are other possible Star Wars plot spoilers in the article.)

Quote:

"Game of Thrones" actress Gwendoline Christie may be playing a Stormtrooper in "Star Wars Episode 7."

MarkStarWars.net received a tip from reader that came across some interesting rumors on an IMDb board. The source claims someone working in the film's costume department told them Christie would play a rogue stormtrooper who wears silver armor.

Sounds awesome.
offline profile quote Top

sandwichesyumyum
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
It does sound awesome. I may have squeaked a bit. Thanks for the heads up, Chicky! :)

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
Storm trooper and (since they use the word rogue) good guy? Two words that I never thought I'd hear together, but make me super excited about the film.

And if they are using rogue to explain someone that is going above and beyond the call of the Empire that's awesome too. (In case of bad guy Gwen)
Edited by Zair, Jun 22 2014, 03:39 AM.

YellowDelaney
Colour me intrigued!

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
So I just saw a rumor that Gwen's character is a gender-swap due to the uproar about the lack of female cast. I'm actually okay with this, mainly because if this character was supposed to be a guy then maybe we won't see all those female in sci-fi tropes.

Also because my fave sci-fi character ever was a gender swap ( Ellen Ripley)

I wish I could find confirmation if this is true or not.
Edited by Zair, Jun 22 2014, 03:43 AM.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Well, weren't all the storm troopers clones of Jango Fett? How do we get to a female storm trooper from there?

*I am not fully conversant in Star Wars lore. I just watched the movies. Down with Jar Jar Binks.
online profile quote Top

Chicky
Kingsguard
Mikki
Jun 22 2014, 09:02 AM
Well, weren't all the storm troopers clones of Jango Fett? How do we get to a female storm trooper from there?
The army started with Jango clones, but then they added other clones, by the time of A New Hope, I think just regular people were storm troopers too. I have no idea if there were ever any female storm troopers, but if not...there should be. ;)

Hooray for equal opportunity bad guys.

Chicky
Kingsguard
More substantive rumors emerging about Gwen's possible role on badassdigest.com.

badassdigest.com

Warning: major speculation based on a small nugget of information follows. Let's get the nugget of information out of the way first.

Possible spoilers for the truly spoilerphobic, but I don't believe this to be a real spoiler:

According to my sources Gwendoline Christie is playing John Boyega's commanding officer in Star Wars Episode VII, and she's mad that he deserted. She's looking for him. She's an antagonist.

Quote:

UPDATE: I'm have new info that puts things in new perspectives. She's definitely hunting Boyega. I think she's an Imperial officer, but I got one more piece of information that puts everything in a new light:

SPOILERS!

The actress has been training with a lightsaber.

Could she be an Imperial officer who has a lightsaber? Or is it something more? I'm hearing the S word.

I believe this to be true. I believe she'll have some cool action scenes. What comes next is speculation based on very different pieces of info.

A couple of weeks ago a source told me that one of the characters who had been written as male/neutral in the script had been gender-swapped in casting. Was this due to the uproar about that first cast photo being very dude-heavy? I don't know, but I heard about this well after the uproar. And before the casting of Gwendoline Christie.

So that's part one. A guy role had been given to a woman, according to my source. Part two is that I'm hearing Christie is playing an Imperial officer. Part three is this: remember when we were hearing that Benedict Cumberbatch was in talks for the movie? That he was going to be a villain? His part was to be an Imperial officer.

Could Gwendoline Christie have the Benedict Cumberbatch role? That's pretty cool if so, and I do hope someone manages to get JJ Abrams on the record about whether or not the production bravely and progressively rewrote a male character into a female character. THAT is how you create diversity in a movie - you take a character who is not required to be a man and cast the best actor, regardless of gender, in the role. If this is true I hope JJ gets the praise he deserves.

There is one big caveat on this line of reasoning: Cumberbatch was in talks back when the Arndt draft was still in play. That script is gone, but do the basic concepts still exist? I know they had massive pre-viz underway, and I know that sets were already being designed/constructed. I believe it's possible that the Abrams/Lawrence Kasdan script incorporates many elements of Arndt's basic structure, but with major changes along the way.

Again, a lot of this is speculation. A lot of this is me hoping that Abrams is advancing diversity by hiring a woman to kick ass in a role that is essentially gender-neutral. I do feel very secure in what role Christie is playing, and I think she's going to end up being a great, very active, very threatening character.

I see lightsaber! Although if she's both an Imperial officer and has a lightsaber, does that mean she's a Sith? Crazy cool!

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Oh GOD. Darth Tarth. I haven't been this excited about a Star Wars film in years.
online profile quote Top

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
I'm a bit torn. Part of me is looking at the idea of Gwen playing this storm trooper/sith and just going nuts wanting to see it.

The other side is like..but I like her as a good guy...she's more likely to survive the entire trilogy then.

Currawong
Not the Valonqar
Zair
Jul 22 2014, 06:26 PM
The other side is like..but I like her as a good guy...she's more likely to survive the entire trilogy then.
Oh, you have to have some of the 'bad' guys survive until the last part of the trilogy - otherwise, how to retain the menace and feeling of threat, let alone the prospects of vengeance, final battles and so on? :p

GuileAndSubterfuge
so fresh & so feisty
Darth Tarth for the win!

I'm not super familiar with the "new" Star Wars movies. Has there ever been a female Sith?

FairladyZ2005
Jaime’s Luscious Locks
Kinda wish she was playing a good guy Jedi, but as long as she has a lightsaber I'm happy.

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
Currawong
Jul 22 2014, 06:33 PM
Zair
Jul 22 2014, 06:26 PM
Oh, you have to have some of the 'bad' guys survive until the last part of the trilogy - otherwise, how to retain the menace and feeling of threat, let alone the prospects of vengeance, final battles and so on? :p
my big fear is that she's playing the "bad guy for now" character. You know, Grand Moff Tarkin, Count Doku, Darth Maul. The bad guy for that film that gets gacked by the end so that the good guys can feel good about themselves.

There is always the third option as well. the bad guy that 'turns good' or at least less bad as the films go on.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
She has such an expressive face. I can see her as the bad guy torn.
online profile quote Top

MsLibby
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
Hmm....only Jedi use lightsabers.

Chicky
Kingsguard
GuileAndSubterfuge
Jul 22 2014, 06:40 PM
Darth Tarth for the win!

I'm not super familiar with the "new" Star Wars movies. Has there ever been a female Sith?

Within universe, yes.

MsLibby
Jul 22 2014, 07:56 PM
Hmm....only Jedi use lightsabers.

Sith will use lightsabers as well.

fseventh
Ser Cleos
Guys... this is important question. I really really dislike Star Wars. I've been trying to understand this movie franchise forever and I still have no idea what this movie is all about. And I feel an obligation to understand this world before this Star Wars with gwen come out.

So... how to do this? Do I have to watch the movies in special order to understand this?

MsLibby
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
Start with the original 3 (that's all you really need, imho)...the rest were crap.

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
MsLibby
Jul 23 2014, 04:04 PM
Start with the original 3 (that's all you really need, imho)...the rest were crap.
And if you can find them non-special edition it is preferable.

GuileAndSubterfuge
so fresh & so feisty
Han shot first.

Zair
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
GuileAndSubterfuge
Jul 23 2014, 04:48 PM
Han shot first.
Always

Quinn
Member Avatar
Director of HYPE
Pics from the set of Star Wars and speculation that the figure on the left is GC in costume. I don't think it's her, but they're so blurry it's a little hard to be sure. The shoulders and hand don't seem right, and neither does the (super blurry) nose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: First Look at Gwendoline Christie in Star Wars?
online profile quote Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hmmm I don't think it's her either. The height seems right though.

Ugh this build up for who she's playing is driving me nuts. I want to knowwwww
quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/09/adam-driver-gwendoline-christie-new-star-wars-episode-vii-set-photos.html

Gwen may be a rebel commander! I can get behind that. I just want her role to be important.
online profile quote Top

Stella
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
I don't think it's her either - the legs of that person look too short to be Gwen's and the whole appearance is different.

I wanna know toooo. I read (can't remember where though) that she is catching up with the two main characters to help them or something. so I guess she's not just in it for like 5 minutes.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
I want her to be so important and I want her to command the screen so everyone wants her for press and we get more Gwen pics. I need this.
online profile quote Top

Amaryllis
Member Avatar
Poisonous Weed
Mikki
Sep 15 2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/09/adam-driver-gwendoline-christie-new-star-wars-episode-vii-set-photos.html

Gwen may be a rebel commander! I can get behind that. I just want her role to be important.
I don't think it's her (wrong nose).

I don't care if her role is big or small, I only want it to be unforgettable.

Quinn
Member Avatar
Director of HYPE
The Star Wars trailer is supposed to debut on Friday, so maybe we'll catch a glimpse of Gwen?
online profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Here is the official Star Wars: TFA trailer.

Spec has GC playing the Sith Lord tromping through the woods with the red light sabre that looks like a FUCKING SWORD.

It could be...it really could. The movement matches some of Brienne's and the physical shape is correct.

What I am loving most about this is that, at the moment at least, it doesn't look like a CGI nightmare. (I'm looking at you, IJ and Crystal Skull.) This seems to have maintained a lot of visual integrity from the first film actually.

So, is it Gwen? If she's made the trailer I am dancing for joy. I want her role to be important. And the big bad being a female Sith would so kick ass. I am still half in love with Darth Maul.

Are we going to have to wait a year to find out? FUCK.
online profile quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · All About the Cast · Next Topic »
Add Reply