web
analytics
It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Behind the Scenes...
Topic Started: Aug 15 2017, 07:26 AM (1,061 Views)
Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Over in the S7 thread, bluebell218 posted that she couldn't wait for the new members after 7.7 airs. Quinn, an Admin here, posted that she could.

Quinn's response gave me a laugh, but then I thought some people might not get the joke. So I thought I would explain.

If you've noticed, we've gained a ton of new members, active ones, and that's been great. But the board has been remarkably free of spam ads, troll posts and general internet creepiness, right?

Only it hasn't. The incredible moderating team has been ON IT. Spam ads are easy. Those are generally deleted right away.

The other things though... posts which insult other members, insult the moderating team or otherwise violate the rules of polite discourse ("If I don't get more likes on my posts, I'm LEAVING!") that get hidden by the Mod Team. The post is discussed and the member sent a PM with some comfort and a rules reminder. Most times that addresses the issue.

Lately, we've had an incursion of multiple accounts created for one user. We are getting better about tracking that. (THANK YOU MOD TEAM) We contact the user and tell them they can only have one account. They need to name their multiples and choose one. Sometimes someone has simply forgotten about their account and made a second. It's no big deal. Other times, it's intentional and the user is planning to troll. (I see you, Cersei-stans. I see you.)

There are other users who, erm, ...do not respond well to moderator PMs.

The Mod Team is made up of some incredible women who put time, effort and care to the running of this board. But sometimes, we'd all rather just be members who can post and never worry.

So, yes, I think we are all super excited about getting a bunch of new members, new insights, interesting ideas and watching the fandom grow. But sometimes it feels like we're playing Whack-A-Troll and they just keep multiplying. :troll: :troll: :troll:

This really is just an excuse for me to thank the amazing moderating team. There is no way I could do this alone. Thank you all so much.
online profile quote Top

Aerest
Member Avatar
HYPEkeeper
You know, dear Admins and Mods, despite practically having been living here throughout the last 8 months I only ever noticed a handful of spam bots and one member trolling/provoking.
Instead I have witnessed dozens of pages of awesome discussion, respectful disagreement, incredibly quick catchup of new information/media, thought-provoking analysis, wonderful creativity ... all of this delivered by a variety of amazing board members.
It's actually been such a constructive and positive climate that I started to consider our fandom the best. Now it sounds as if you're the best. Or a mixture of both.
I am incredibly thankful that this place exists and is as peaceful as it is.
Yes, this IS kind of a love letter.
Thank you! <3
online profile quote Top

koops
Member Avatar
Evenstar
Yes, you guys do a great job because I have never noticed anything nasty or spamm-y before! Kudos for all the hard work to keep this place fun and enjoyable!
offline profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
No.

THANK YOU.

(busting out my BBCode skillz)

online profile quote Top

TheConstantShipper
Ser Cleos
Thank you guys. It sucks that you have to do it all, but its greatly appreciated. :wub:

justme
Member Avatar
Winner!
Thanks for all the extra work you're doing keeping our safe haven fun :)

december13
Member Avatar
Dragon Charger
Posted Image

bluebell218
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
I am COMPLETELY unaware of all the shenanigans that people get up to on this board, and that is because you all are so good at your job! So the rest of us can naively and happily play without the negativity that invades every other online space. Thank you!!!

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Posted Image
online profile quote Top

FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
Thanks to the mod team for all their hard work! You gals are a big part of the reason the reason this is the best GoT/ASOIAF fan site around!
Edited by FairladyZ2005, Aug 15 2017, 04:13 PM.

Quinn
Member Avatar
Director of HYPE
We love y'all with the passion of unrequited Jorah's thirst!!!!!

I makes dumb jokes sometimes, so I'm glad Mikki clarified what I meant :D

I love "meeting" new people here and hearing all those good ideas. I do NOT love counterfeit Yeezy Boosts, fake valonquar provokers, and wankers. Big hugs to everyone! You're such nice and brilliant people, and we know you look out for our little corner, too :) And have lots of patience when Quinn has been modding in five different windows simultaneously and can no longer see through her eyeballs!

karrilena
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
I had no idea y'all were dealing with all that! I'm here all the time and I've never seen it. Y'all are amazing and I really appreciate everything you do. This is by far the best place on the internet.

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Oathkeeper
Since I didn't master the arts of the curtsy like Brienne, I still bow to you - and thank y'all for making this the awesome experience it is for us!

Posted Image

FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
I still remember day everyone went into panic mode when it was announced the old boards were closing. I was (un?)lucky enough to be there for ground zero. But Mikki bravely decided to take action and said, "I'm gonna learn how to run a message board. It can't be THAT hard," and possibly saved all of J/B fandom in the process. Otherwise, we might have been forever scattered to the four corners of the Internet when the old boards went under destined to ship alone, never to find like-minded fans of this magnitude and intelligent discourse ever again. Without this place a lot of us probably would have left this ship behind by now while the newer ones might never jumped on board the ship at all. So to Mikki and all who have taken up to mantel of moderating, this place matters and you are appreciated more than you know. Songs will be sung in your honor one day...or extra fanfics for your birthday at least. :)
Edited by FairladyZ2005, Aug 15 2017, 08:06 PM.

Deb
Member Avatar
JB Media Reporter On Location
I will add my thanks to everyone else's to everyone who work behind the scenes to make this place so great. I really appreciate the thoughtful posts and the polite tone of the posts, even when people disagree. You all deserve a ton of cake (and wine)!

timetravelingwritr
Kingsguard
Aww, you're doing such a great job! I used to run a board but i can't imagine how much work it is to run a board with as many members as this one. <3

I'm not sure i would have survived long in the fandom, although i'm very new, without this board. There's so many negativity and shitty posts on tumblr and reddit lol.

Quinn
Member Avatar
Director of HYPE
We're just little Tommen sitting in a corner, stroking Ser Pounce's little cat ears while trying to avoid beets!

DanyelN
Member Avatar
Mutton Cutter
Y'all are awesome and dragonstone. it is so obvious that we have an exceptional team of mods because most members never see any of the crap that happens. Whereas I annoy them by sticking my nosy butt in corners best left alone. :$ Love you ladies more than Cersei loves wine.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
But we love your nose :)

Really though, in the past 24 or so hours, fifteen new members... ;)
Edited by Mikki, Aug 17 2017, 07:47 AM.
online profile quote Top

LadyCarmenSandiego
Member Avatar
Dreamer of you
I never commented in this thread, because I'm still quite a newbie here -though an active one- and have just discovered it, but I would like to thank Mikki and her Mod team (I don't know all your nicknames, girls, so forgive me, but you're all included) for this Jaime's Beard forum you created and moderate. You're doing a great job and I'm super happy to be here! Keep up the good work! :yes: :wub:

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Thank you!
online profile quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Administrative Things · Next Topic »
Add Reply