web
analytics
It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
2017/2018 Awards Season
Topic Started: Nov 29 2017, 12:56 PM (16,118 Views)
Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Season 7 isn’t Emmy eligible, but there are still awards happening.

Djawadi got a Grammy nomination.

Quote:

60. Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media
(Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series, video games or other visual media.)

• Arrival
Jóhann Jóhannsson, composer

• Dunkirk
Hans Zimmer, composer

• Game Of Thrones: Season 7
Ramin Djawadi, composer

• Hidden Figures
Benjamin Wallfisch, Pharrell Williams & Hans Zimmer, composers

• La La Land
Justin Hurwitz, composer

Kit and Emilia are being submitted as leads for the Golden Globes. I don’t think that’s so much because they are leads but because if they go in as leads, then they can submit more actors for the supporting categories. The Globes doesn’t like Thrones much anyway. Kit and Emilia probably won’t get get nominations as leads, but maybe someone other than them, Peter and Lena will get a nomination for support. HELLO NIKOLAJ.
offline profile quote Top

koops
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Emilia got nominated for best supporting actress at the Critics Choice. What. the. actual. F. No Lena. Peter as usual for best supporting actor.
online profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Critics Choice and People’s Choice awards are more about how your promo team pushes you for nomination than actual skill or talent.

Awards shows are politics. Never forget that American Sniper got nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars when it was a total, disasterous, embarrassing, poorly done flop with the fakest baby who ever faked. But Clint Eastwood and patriotism.
Edited by Mikki, Dec 6 2017, 12:32 PM.

Dawn
Member Avatar
😠😠😠😠
So the critics watched this season and all the saw was good acting from Emilia and Peter..

koops
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Has Peter even done much this season, other than his scene with Lena?
online profile quote Top

december13
Member Avatar
Dragon Charger
Dawn
Dec 6 2017, 12:53 PM
So the critics watched this season and all the saw was good acting from Emilia and Peter..
Peter was a master of accent that last season. *sarcasm*

And my favorite moments with Emillia were the one where she conveyed so many feelings and emotions with just blinking, or with a slow smile, or slight curve of her eyebrows, or pure pain on her face when she saw her baby-dragon dying... Oh, wait!

NamelessPasserby
Couture Armorer
Peter's nomination doesn't surprise me because he's been nominated before for lackluster Tyrion seasons. Didn't he win an emmy for season 5? :blink: I am surprised about Emilia getting a nomination over Lena though. IMO Lena getting a nomination is usually a given.

timetravelingwritr
Kingsguard
Seriously? Lena was Jaime's Beard last season, whereas Danearys got on my nerve more and more as the season passed....Peter was good for the few scenes he was given, i think so i get why he was nominated.

Dawn
Member Avatar
😠😠😠😠
Quote:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, ‘Game of Thrones’

As long as it’s on the air, “Game of Thrones” will net awards nods; it’s the biggest show on TV. But it’s confounding which cast members critics chose to recognize this year. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has long been one of the strongest actors of the entire ensemble and Season 7 finally gave his Jaime Lannister meaty dramatic scenes for the first time in several seasons.

He remains unrecognized, however, while Emilia Clarke continues to get nods for her one-note Daenerys Targaryen and Peter Dinklage for his Tyrion Lannister, who hasn’t had much to do since Season 4.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/07/these-critics-choice-award-snubs-are-egregious/
:dog: :dog:

Nuuk
Member Avatar
Almost a Knight
That's so true, Dawn.

Nik seems to be invisible :ermm:

Deb
Almost a Beauty
Dawn
Dec 8 2017, 03:13 AM
Quote:

As long as it’s on the air, “Game of Thrones” will net awards nods; it’s the biggest show on TV. But it’s confounding which cast members critics chose to recognize this year. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has long been one of the strongest actors of the entire ensemble and Season 7 finally gave his Jaime Lannister meaty dramatic scenes for the first time in several seasons.

He remains unrecognized, however, while Emilia Clarke continues to get nods for her one-note Daenerys Targaryen and Peter Dinklage for his Tyrion Lannister, who hasn’t had much to do since Season 4.

Ha, has someone been reading this board? :)

Aerest
Member Avatar
HYPEkeeper
Deb
Dec 8 2017, 10:59 AM
Dawn
Quote:

I think it may be an obvious observation, which doesn't necessarily need out cleverness to be recognized ;)
Edited by Aerest, Dec 9 2017, 12:39 AM.

december13
Member Avatar
Dragon Charger
Aerest
Dec 9 2017, 12:39 AM
Deb
Dec 8 2017, 10:59 AM
Dawn
Quote:

I think it may be an obvious observation, which doesn't necessarily need out cleverness to be recognized ;)
How dare you?!? It's obvious that our collective brilliance is the reason someone, somewhere has f.i.n.a.l.l.y. seen the light!

Long live JBO board!!! :pirate:

NamelessPasserby
Couture Armorer
Golden Globe nominations are out and Game of Thrones is nominated for Best Drama. No nominations for acting. I guess HBO's plan of submitting Emilia and Kit as leads didn't work and also didn't help them get any supporting actor nominations for anybody else.

Hopefully Gwen and Nikolaj can go to the ceremony next year but they usually attend the SAG Awards instead right?

[twitter=https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/940214932104187906]
Edited by NamelessPasserby, Dec 11 2017, 10:27 AM.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
I believe both attended the SAGs in 2016, but only Gwen in 2017.

timetravelingwritr
Kingsguard
Wasn't s7 not eligible to get nominations though? Or is it only for one of those award shows? I can't remember exactly but i think i've read this somewhere last summer.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
That's the Emmy's not the Golden Globes.

Awards Season is usually January/February for all the films/shows premiere in the prior year. The Emmy season is different. A show has to premiere prior to a certain date (usually in May) to be eligible for the Emmy Awards, which are handed out in September. The Emmys for which GoT was not eligible has already passed.

SAGs, Golden Globes, Critic's Choice, People's Choice and the Oscars are just getting into full swing.

GoT will be eligible for SAG, GG, People's Choice and Critic's Choice as well as things like Director's Guild, Writer's Guild, etc which are all upcoming in the new year.
Edited by Mikki, Dec 11 2017, 11:00 AM.

timetravelingwritr
Kingsguard
Oh thanks Mikki! I couldn't remember...there's so many award shows lol.

That's sad the acting wasn't nominated this year. Some of the cast were truly good....but it's not surprising neither Emilia or Kit got a nomination lol.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
The Golden Globes have not been friendly to GoT. They are voted on by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. I have no idea how one even gets into the HFPA.

I checked the SAG awards. Nik was not there in 2017, when Gwen wore the black sequined jumpsuit. He was there in a blue tux in 2016, Gwen wore the light blue Lanvin. In 2015, again, both there, Nik in standard black, Gwen in that red plunging neckline.

We might also get to see Gwen at the BAFTAs. She wore a Jaime's Beard dark purple/blue with white side stripe Lanvin there and looked Jaime's Beard.

Edit to add that SAG Awards part.
Edited by Mikki, Dec 11 2017, 11:33 AM.

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Also, Gwen has double the reason to be there.

GoT is nominated

Quote:

Best Drama Series
“The Crown” (Netflix)
“Game of Thrones” (HBO)
“The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
“Stranger Things” (Netflix)
“This Is Us” (NBC)

As is Top of the Lake: China Girl
Quote:

Best TV Movie or Limited Series
“Big Little Lies” (HBO)
“Fargo” (FX)
“Feud: Bette & Joan” (FX)
“The Sinner” (USA)
“Top of the Lake: China Girl” (SundanceTV)

I can actually see Top of the Lake winning. This is the HFPA voting, not other actors or guild members. It's a way outside chance, but it's possible.

Question is, with which group will Gwendoline be sitting? I'd bet TotL because so many Thrones people will want to attend. This will free up a seat at that table. Nicole Kidman will likely sit with Big Little Lies, which is her big chance for an award. Elisabeth Moss will sit with The Handmaid's Tale. That leaves the TotL table pretty empty by comparison to the others.

NamelessPasserby
Couture Armorer
I can't believe I forgot that Gwendoline and Nikolaj did in fact attend the Golden Globes earlier this year! How could I forget especially after all the Gwennik treats we got that day:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully they'll still be able to make it to the GG's next year even with the S8 filming schedule. We're due for a Gwen/Nik fix! Top of the Lake: China Girl is also nominated so maybe Gwen has a higher chance of going? idk

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Just a personal note, I love how female heavy these nominated programs are. Big Little Lies had no male lead at all, just male support, same with Top of the Lake and Feud: Bette and Joan. Handmaid's Tale and The Sinner are both about the female leads and The Crown, while it has Phillip, is heavily Elizabeth.

december13
Member Avatar
Dragon Charger
Didn't I say that this is the most likely outcome? Didn't I?!? No, wait, I did, right? I remember bitching and moaning... Of course, I often bitch and moan so...
But I did say it somewhere. In here. "Here" being a JBO board. I was being really smart. Got kudos even...

Doesn't matter. What matter is that submitting Kit and Emilia didn't work, that I called it, that no other actors got GG nom, that I also presumed it...

Do any of you want to go to a horse race and bet money? I am feeling pretty clairvoyant-y. :p

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
It's the Golden Globes, who generally don't nominate GoT. They've only ever gotten two acting nominations, Dinklage (2012) and Headey (2017). The chances of anyone getting a nomination was slim. Putting Kit and Emilia into the lead category, in which they clearly had no chance, at least gave a tiny shot to others. It was worth the switch to at least give people a chance.

Currawong
Not the Valonqar
It will be interesting to see what effect the final season has. and who gets nominated for what. Even if a show has missed out in previous years, the subtle impact of "this was the final season" may mean GOT and its actors have a better chance. I'd certainly love to think that Nik will play such an important part in S8 that he gets plenty of nominations, making up for the criminal neglect he has suffered in Seasons 3 and 7.

elvisglasses
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
Mikki
Dec 11 2017, 10:58 AM
That's the Emmy's not the Golden Globes.

Awards Season is usually January/February for all the films/shows premiere in the prior year. The Emmy season is different. A show has to premiere prior to a certain date (usually in May) to be eligible for the Emmy Awards, which are handed out in September. The Emmys for which GoT was not eligible has already passed.

SAGs, Golden Globes, Critic's Choice, People's Choice and the Oscars are just getting into full swing.

GoT will be eligible for SAG, GG, People's Choice and Critic's Choice as well as things like Director's Guild, Writer's Guild, etc which are all upcoming in the new year.
And then S7 will be eligible for Emmys next year (2018 nominations), right? Not that it will win of course, but one can hope. :)

(wanting the show/actors to win awards < wanting to see Nik & Gwen at award shows lol)

TrickyGreyArea
Member Avatar
Almost a Knight
Mikki
Dec 11 2017, 11:30 AM
I can actually see Top of the Lake winning. This is the HFPA voting, not other actors or guild members. It's a way outside chance, but it's possible.
Was it at the Globes or Emmys that TotL won for the first season? I was thinking GGs (especially since it's an overseas production), but can't recall for sure...

Great point about so many of the other TotL actors having higher profile projects to also promote, which would free up room for Gwen at that table. If Nik doesn't attend for GoT, I would just as soon she sit at the TotL table. I bet she'd enjoy the opportunity to schmooz with Jane Campion. :redwine:

december13
Member Avatar
Dragon Charger
TrickyGreyArea
Dec 11 2017, 07:35 PM
Was it at the Globes or Emmys that TotL won for the first season? I was thinking GGs (especially since it's an overseas production), but can't recall for sure...
Both. Kinda. GG for Elisabeth Moss - best actress in miniseries, and creative Emmys for... something.

NamelessPasserby
Couture Armorer
Screen Actors Guild Awards announced and Game of Thrones got some noms:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series:

Jason Bateman, “Ozark”
Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us”
Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”
David Harbour, “Stranger Things”
Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series:
“Game of Thrones”
“GLOW”
“Homeland”
“Stranger Things”
“The Walking Dead”

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series:

“The Crown”
“Game of Thrones”
ALFIE ALLEN / Theon Greyjoy
JACOB ANDERSON / Grey Worm
PILOU ASBÆK / Euron Greyjoy
HAFÞÓR JÚLÍUS BJÖRNSSON / The Mountain
JOHN BRADLEY / Samwell Tarly
JIM BROADBENT / Archmaester Ebrose
GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE / Brienne
EMILIA CLARKE / Daenerys Targaryen
NIKOLAJ COSTER-WALDAU / Jaime Lannister
LIAM CUNNINGHAM / Davos Seaworth
PETER DINKLAGE / Tyrion Lannister
RICHARD DORMER / Beric Dondarrion
NATHALIE EMMANUEL / Missandei
JAMES FAULKNER / Randyll Tarly
JEROME FLYNN / Bronn
AIDAN GILLEN / Petyr Baelish
IAIN GLEN / Jorah Mormont
KIT HARINGTON / Jon Snow
LENA HEADEY / Cersei Lannister
ISAAC HEMPSTEAD WRIGHT / Bran Stark
CONLETH HILL / Varys
KRISTOFER HIVJU / Tormund Giantsbane
TOM HOPPER / Dickon Tarly
ANTON LESSER / Qyburn
RORY McCANN / The Hound
STAZ NAIR / Qhono
RICHARD RYCROFT / Maester Wolkan
SOPHIE TURNER / Sansa Stark
RUPERT VANSITTART / Yohn Royce
MAISIE WILLIAMS / Arya Stark
“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“Stranger Things”
“This Is Us”

Gwen made the ensemble list this year! :woot:

Mikki
Member Avatar
ChillLord
Oh the Lena-stans are going to go nuts that she didn't get a nomination.
Quote:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
MILLIE BOBBY BROWN / Eleven – “STRANGER THINGS” (Netflix)
CLAIRE FOY / Queen Elizabeth II – “THE CROWN” (Netflix)
LAURA LINNEY / Wendy Byrde – “OZARK” (Netflix)
ELISABETH MOSS / Offred/June – “THE HANDMAID’S TALE” (Hulu)
ROBIN WRIGHT / Claire Underwood – “HOUSE OF CARDS” (Netflix)

I suspect that one is going to Elisabeth Moss.

Dinklage also got an ensemble nod for a movie role.

Quote:

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (Fox Searchlight)
ABBIE CORNISH / Anne
PETER DINKLAGE / James
WOODY HARRELSON / Willoughby
JOHN HAWKES / Charlie
LUCAS HEDGES / Robbie
ŽELJKO IVANEK / Desk Sgt.
CALEB LANDRY JONES / Red Welby
FRANCES McDORMAND / Mildred
CLARKE PETERS / Abercrombie
SAM ROCKWELL / Dixon
SAMARA WEAVING / Penelope

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Show Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply