web
analytics
It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The Beauty of the Martial Arts
Topic Started: Feb 13 2018, 08:53 AM (78 Views)
Aerest
Member Avatar
HYPEkeeper
Are there any JBO warriors around?

What MA style are you into? How long have you been at it, how did you get into it, what do you love your style for?
Do you've got any fancy photos or videos to show off the beauty of your style?
Or just generally awesome media of some martial art you admire from afar, or a fighter who inspires you?

Non-fighters are totally invited to share inspiring/beautiful/kickass links, images & videos, too! :sword:
offline profile quote Top

Nuuk
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
I started Kwoon Do (which is basically a European Shaolin Kung-Fu) about a year ago. I love the mix between physical and psychological aspects. It’s relaxing and challenging at the same time.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures or anything.

Aerest
Member Avatar
HYPEkeeper
I'm doing Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, longfist style, as taught by Sifu Michelle Dwyer - one of the only (or THE only?) female sifus in Kung Fu. I've been training this style for 3,5 years now, and got into it rather accidentally: I have been dancing equality ballroom for years, and couldn't find a proper dancing partner in the new town I had moved to.
I looked for alternatives, and Kung Fu ironically came closest to what I searched. I do miss dancing, but for now I enjoy the experience of being completely sweat through and physically exhausted after a training session.

A brilliant fight scene from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon":

I've also been doing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) / Longsword Fencing for the last 3 years, and I'm madly in love with it.
There's nothing more freeing than hitting people with longswords :happy:
We basically recreate, learn and use the techniques old (late) medieval fencing masters taught and noted down.

"Intro" video, starring Petr Matoušek, a man who also has a background in Asian martial arts and an amazing body control and calm presence. This video is pretty confusing, but in general it's a pleasure to watch him fence!

A collection of techniques:

A nice video of "applied" fencing:

What has fascinated me ever since is how martial arts have somehow "grounded" me. I gained a different stance, learned to hit, learned to get hit, learned to look people in the eye while parrying blows, attacking, observing the surroundings. I can still dance myself out of difficult situations with a smile. But I became way better at calm confrontation.

Nuuk
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
That's cool Aerest.
During summer when we are able to pratice outside we also train with swords. It's fun! Our sifu told us it's important to train both hands equally... "to not end up like Jaime Lannister." I laughed so hard.

I love Shaolin Kung Fu, but I'm afraid I have to quit it when I move in the new city. Since my ex broke up with me, I am planning to move to the city where I work and they don't offer any training there. Unfortunately :/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Chat and Fun Stuff · Next Topic »
Add Reply