Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Locked Topic
Kaijudo Vs. Duel Masters
Topic Started: Jul 31 2012, 11:40 AM (4,029 Views)
Shobu
No Avatar

Hi

I'm new here, which you might have noticed if you look at my profile. :ermm:

Anyway I'm new to Kaijudo. I used to play the Duel Masters TCG when I was around the age of 10 - 12 years old. I was wondering is Kaijudo much different from the original Duel Masters? ^o)

I see that they have change some info on the cards e.g; Draglide: DM Wiki | Kaijudo Wiki
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sarge
Member Avatar

Different in terms of pure mechanics? We have two changes there: a maximum of three copies of any given card in a deck, and you don't have to tap the correct civilisation mana as long as you have at least one in your mana zone. For example, with three fire mana and one nature mana, I can summon two level 2 nature creatures.

Different otherwise? Initially at least, we have a more splintered release programme; we have had two products already containing cards from the Base Set, and the Base Set hasn't yet been released. Higher end cards seem a little easier to get in some cases, as Super Rares filter into structure decks. Kaijudo is going to further lengths to create a balanced game; certain cards are more expensive, and others, such as Cranium Clamp, will likely never be reprinted.
Offline Profile Goto Top

RedRaptor10
Member Avatar
Attack Raptor

2 more changes:
- You don't have to play your mana upside down anymore (they remoevd the big #1 at the bottom).
- You can have more than 40 cards in your deck (100 card deck lolwut?) (some1 correct me if I'm wrong cuz I only remember seeing "minimum of 40 cards" on the Kaijudo website)

The game overall is slower than Duel Masters. Certain cards cost 1 more ([card]Bronze-Arm Tribe[/card] is now a level 4). Shield Triggers are now called Shield Blasts. Whenever you activate Shield Blasts, they don't go to your hand first. "Destroy" is now referred to as "Banish".
RedRaptor10's Deck Garage
RedRaptor10's Youtube Channel
TCO Video Duels
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shobu
No Avatar

Thanks guys! =D

Now I've gotta wait till Kaijudo hits the UK. :/

I've Rep'd you both :)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sarge
Member Avatar

Thank you :)

I shall be waiting from the UK as well, where did you play DM?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shobu
No Avatar

I only really played Duel Masters with a few people since I live in Belfast and there weren't that many that played DM in my school back then.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

K-rick
No Avatar

Sarge
Jul 31 2012, 12:28 PM
Different in terms of pure mechanics? We have two changes there: a maximum of three copies of any given card in a deck, and you don't have to tap the correct civilisation mana as long as you have at least one in your mana zone. For example, with three fire mana and one nature mana, I can summon two level 2 nature creatures.

Different otherwise? Initially at least, we have a more splintered release programme; we have had two products already containing cards from the Base Set, and the Base Set hasn't yet been released. Higher end cards seem a little easier to get in some cases, as Super Rares filter into structure decks. Kaijudo is going to further lengths to create a balanced game; certain cards are more expensive, and others, such as Cranium Clamp, will likely never be reprinted.
Well, I know there was a lot of hope speculation about Lost Soul never coming back, but that's already been revealed to be Skull Shatter.

I'm not sure if it's safe to say that Cranium Clamp will never be released. It's extremely early (as you said we don't even have base set yet).

I think the more important thing to note is that the mechanics remain unchanged enough for seasoned Duel Masters players to transfer to Kaijudo seamlessly.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZeroVash
No Avatar

As long as they dont release the ENG Cranium Clamp. JP cranium clamp costed 5 and that wasnt broken at all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

EvanBanjo
No Avatar

ZeroVash
Jul 31 2012, 05:36 PM
As long as they dont release the ENG Cranium Clamp. JP cranium clamp costed 5 and that wasnt broken at all.
I completely agree, but I'm not sure how good it'll be at 5 mana in this meta. We have Specter Claw, which can do the exact same thing as Cranium Clamp (albeit, you need to play two at the same time).
My first mini-album titled "Napoleon"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nerafim
Member Avatar

In before I get incredibly academic on this question, it would help if you would maybe give more details on why you liked DM and what you are interested in?

I only play these games online, so seeing as you are interested in the actual trading and such, then yes, Kaijudo...Because Duel Masters is not supported or known in real life, it would take importing cards from Japan (there are even rule differences problems) and it would just cause more confusion with whoever you were trying to convince exactly because Kaijudo exists.

If you want to know which is the more balanced, Kaijudo is more balanced than the old DM at a "no hax cards" aspect, but I'm afraid not actually balanced in its own meta right now, so once people catch on to it, expect playing (competitively) to become rather aggravating. But for now let's just say that's just my opinion.

If you accept some reasonable balances to Duel Masters, even the old 12 sets format can become much more skillful and challenging, and the one that the Japanese play is really nicely carved, but you'd have to play that online.

If you are asking which one is more fun, then DM is, but that's because it clearly has more cards and already defined strategies. So it depends on which exact cards cause a certain meta or fun experience.

However DM with a fixed deck limit was more fun and better to read competitively, and the 4x helped a lot with making some needed things run smoothly.

Basically there's no way to directly compare because of the huge difference in card pool size, but between these first few packs of Kaijudo and the first few sets of DM, the DM one was better. Kaijudo can easily become very good with the right game design choices and right now there's no real reason to doubt that.

-Nera
Edited by Nerafim, Aug 3 2012, 01:34 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Null Zone · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Kaijudo Central is a fan community website and is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast, LLC, Hasbro, Inc., or The Hub. Kaijudo: Rise/Clash of the Duel Masters, creatures, card art, and all other related images are owned by Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro. For more information about Kaijudo, please visit the official Wizards of the Coast website at www.kaijudo.com.
Hosted for free by ZetaBoards