Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Flipzi's.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you have a limited access. You can read the 'Announcements' and 'Society' sections but you need to register in order to view the rest. This is for security reasons. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free anyway. Register now instead. Thank you.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Marawi Siege; Marawi City on May 2017
Topic Started: Sun May 28, 2017 12:46 am (2,436 Views)
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
9 soldiers killed in Marawi as gunmen lobbed hand grenades – Army

By: Richel V. Umel - @inquirerdotnetPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 07:28 PM July 23, 2017

ILIGAN CITY — Nine soldiers were killed while 49 others were wounded in a firefight with Islamic State-inspired terrorists in Marawi City on Friday (July 21).

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez, chief of the Western Mindanao Command, told reporters Sunday that the terrorists went nearer to the operating troops and lobbed hand grenades.

Some of the soldiers were wounded in Friday’s fighting.

Galvez refused to comment when asked if the attack also involved a car bomb, saying it was an “operational matter.”
Abdullah Maute, one of the leaders of the terror group, earlier warned of more attacks in Marawi and Iligan Cities. SFM

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/916427/9-soldiers-killed-in-marawi-as-gunmen-lobbed-hand-grenades-army
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maute Group leader seen alive, unhurt July 17

By: Jeoffrey Maitem - @inquirerdotnetInquirer Mindanao / 04:51 PM July 23, 2017

Abdullah Maute, one of the leaders of the Islamic State-inspired Maute group, is still alive and unhurt despite the daily air and ground assault by government security forces on their positions in Marawi City.

Agakhan Sharief, a Moro community leader known in the province as Bin Laden because of his resemblance to the late al-Qaeda leader, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer Saturday that he was able to speak with Abdullah Maute on July 17.

“He is unhurt, but the military already cut off the communication signal inside the battle zone,” Sharief said.

He said the mobile phone signal inside the war zone was cut on July 18.

Sharief was able to open a communication line with the Maute Group as he was the one designated to do so by the peace corridor, an effort set up by the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front, to negotiate for the release of hostages.

Sharief said that in his conversation with Abdullah, the Maute Group leader did not discuss the fate of Fr. Teresito “Chito” Suganob, the vicar general of Marawi City.

Suganob and some of the other hostages were seized in a cathedral as gunmen from the Maute terror group laid siege to the capital of Lanao del Sur province on May 23.

Sharief added Isnilon Hapilon, the leader of Abu Sayyaf, managed to escape from Marawi.

“He is already outside Marawi City. He was able to get out last week of May,” he said. SFM

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/916380/maute-group-leader-seen-alive-unhurt-july-17
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maute Group wants to seize schools, take kids as hostages – Sotto

Maute Group has allied with 3 other terror groups for attacks in other parts of Mindanao, says senator

By: Christine O. Avendaño - @inquirerdotnetPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 07:05 PM July 23, 2017

The Maute Group has aligned with three other groups to sow terror in Mindanao and had planned to seize schools in Zamboanga areas and Jolo, and take grade school children there as hostages, Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III said.

Sotto, a reserved Philippine Army officer, said he got the intelligence information from his sources and that he expected the military not to confirm this report.

That was why when President Duterte met with senators along with some congressmen last week to pitch for an extension of martial law in Mindanao, he said he understood the Chief Executive when he told them of the seriousness of the problem of the Maute Group which had taken siege of Marawi City last May 23 and which government forces have been doing battle with to this day.

“The President told us that: “This is no longer a problem of Marawi. We are almost able to contain Marawi but they (Maute) are going to branch out,” Sotto said in a phone interview.

He said that they suspected ISIS has been backing the Maute Group, which has linked up with the Abu Sayyaf, the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters and the Maguit Group to make up the group calling itself “Da’wahtul Islamiyah Wailayatul Mastiq” or DIWM. The group is believed to have 1,200 members, according to Sotto.

He called the move of Congress to extend martial law in Mindanao until Dec.31 as a “pre-emptive strike” against the DWIM, which he said could have been surprised by the extension of the proclamation.

Last Saturday (July 22), the Senate and the House voted in a joint session to grant President Duterte’s request for an extension of martial law in Mindanao until Dec.31. The extension was granted, a day after his 60-day martial law proclamation covering the entire Mindanao expired.

The military continues to go after the ISIS-inspired group after taking over some of its strongholds in the now ruined city.

Before he talked to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Sotto had told a radio interview on Sunday, that the plan of Maute and other groups to seize Zamboanga and Jolo schools and take the school children there as hostages were disclosed in “captured documents.”

Sotto also said in the same radio interview that he did not think the local terrorists would go to Luzon and Visayas because an intelligence report said Filipino terrorists who were asked to become suicide bombers refused to do so.

When pressed on the report of the planned seizure of Zamboanga and Jolo schools, the senator said he learned from sources of this plan last week or before the President met with some senators and congressmen in Malacañang.

“They (ISIS -inspired groups) planned to take over schools while the (elementary) students are there. So what will the government do? What should we do if they hold the children hostages?” Sotto said in a phone interview.

“They were targetting elementary students.”

Sotto said the groups were already prepared to execute the plan to hold schoolchildren as hostages but apparently this did not happen.

An incident in Jolo last week somehow confirmed the intelligence reports on terrorists’ plan to mount attacks in Zamboanga City and Jolo, the senator said. Sotto was apparently referring to the July 21 attack when Abu Sayyaf members stormed a sawmill and took two men there as hostages.

Of the DIWM, he said the group members were spread out in Sulu, Basilan, Zamboanga, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao and Saranggani.

“They plan to establish a Daesch there, ” Sotto said.

Sotto added that President Duterte had told them he needed P20-25 billion to arm the military and police against the new terror group.

He said Mr. Duterte has asked Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno to look for excess money in the current national budget so he could provide much needed government “arsenal” to fight the well-armed terror group.
“Because of the large number of our enemies, our bullet reserves are depleted. So we need a buffer to beef up our arsenal,” Sotto said.

Still, he said he believed the government would be able to wipe out this group before Dec.31 and therefore, the martial law proclamation could be lifted earlier.

Sen. Grace Poe, meanwhile, said the government should intensify its intelligence as the enemy has been engaged in guerilla-type warfare.

Poe said the government has so far reported that of the 1,200 enemies, 66 have been arrested; 400 have been killed whil 666 have remained unaccounted for.

“They may be in Marawi, they may be in nearby areas and in other parts of Mindanao,” Poe said in a radio interview on Sunday. SFM

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/916418/maute-group-wants-to-seize-schools-take-kids-as-hostages-sotto
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
5 more troops killed in Marawi conflict

By Jaime Laude (The Philippine Star) | Updated July 23, 2017 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Five more soldiers were killed in action after intense fighting on Friday that enabled government forces to capture one of the Maute terror group’s strongholds in Marawi City, the military reported yesterday.

The captured Maute position is considered one of the key areas under military attack for the past weeks as part of the operations to clear the terrorists from Marawi since armed men attacked the city last May 23.

The death of the five soldiers brought to 105 the total number of troops killed in almost two months of fighting.

“We finally breached one of the strongest lines of defense and neutralized a number of terrorists but we also lost five men in the heavy fighting,” an officer, whose unit is also involved in the assault, said.

Col. Edgard Arevalo, chief of the Armed Forces Public Affairs Office (PAO), said some 428 terrorists and 45 civilians have been killed while 526 firearms have been recovered from the terrorists.

Military and civilian volunteers have also rescued 1,723 residents trapped in various wartorn villages.

The terrorists are reportedly still holding around 100 civilian hostages while 200 other residents remain still trapped inside the conflict zone located in the city’s central business district.

Armed Forces chief Gen. Eduardo Año, in yesterday’s joint session of the House and Senate on the extension of martial law in Mindanao, defended the military’s recommendation to President Duterte to extend military rule in Mindanao until Dec. 31.

Duterte declared martial law in the entire Mindanao after the Islamic State-inspired Maute group attacked Marawi City last May 23.

“We are moving. I cannot discuss with you on what is happening right now. Basta matindi ang labanan ngayon (there is intense fighting now),” the official told The STAR, when asked for details on the progress of the ongoing military actions against the terrorists.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/07/23/1720705/5-more-troops-killed-marawi-conflict
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
15 civilians tried to escape, last man got shot by Maute snipers


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0gvhh7c_HQ
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
UPDATE ON MARAWI

Abe Purugganan via Facebook
1 hr ·

Also during the same press briefing, Armed Forces Spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla Jr. said the military is closing in on two barangays that are still occupied by the Maute group and its cohorts.

As the military operates in approximately less than one square kilometer, the fighting becomes more intense, complex and challenging, Padilla said.

But the priority is still to rescue the hostages being held by the terrorists as well as secure the remaining residents who did not abandon their homes.

While the AFP wants Marawi City residents to go home, they are still barred from returning because of the dangers posed by unexploded ordinance.

"Kaya kailangan po maintindihan ng ating mga kababayan na sa pagnanais nating maibigay at maibalik and siyudad ng Marawi sa kanila, hindi ganon kadali ito dahil po sa mga hinaharap na ‘yan," Padilla said.

As the military addresses the conflict in Marawi, it is also facing other fronts such as the communist insurgency. Padilla reported that the Armed forces confiscated bombs from two individuals in Bukidnon after a clash with leftist rebels.

The two NPA members are already in police custody and the military is verifying whether they are connected to a particular partylist organization following the recovery of IDs from them.

Despite multiple challenges, Padilla assured the public that the military is working to make communities secure.

"And we can assure you and guarantee you that despite the challenges that we face on many fronts, your Armed Forces and your Police are very much proactively engaged to address all the security challenges that we face with the appropriate measures and programs so that we can better protect our cities, our citizens and all the industries that provide the economic lifeblood of the island," he said.

As of Thursday night, the military was able to neutralize 522 enemies and recover 600 firearms. Civilians rescued stood at 1,724.

Cash donations also continue to pour in. As of 2:45 p.m. Thursday, the amount intended for casualties of the Armed Forces of the Philippines stood at P100,070,804.23.

Of this amount, P1,500,000 have been withdrawn to take care of those soldiers wounded in action. The balance of P98, 570, 804. 23 remains in the bank. For the internally displaced person (IDPs), the total donation is at P873,515.21.
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Marawi Update


Isnilon Hapilon seen in Marawi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-kJtwoYHI


Duterte visits Marawi again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=racPAexI4Ic


Marawi siege is over soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CODJGDkd_nI
Edited by Flipzi, Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:53 am.
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Talk to the Troops (Marawi) (Speech) 8/4/2017


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9GJPKsUp5M

Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
UPDATE: August 9


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCsfoiuEhw4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQWd0Y8MNBc
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Flipzi
Member Avatar
R.A.T.S.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Govt will allocate P5 billion for Marawi rehab

Gobyerno, may inilaan na P5-B budget para sa rehabilitasyon ng Marawi


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_oQrG9jcU
Alfred Alexander L. Marasigan
Manila, Philippines
getflipzi@yahoo.com

http://z6.invisionfree.com/flipzi

" Sovereignty resides in the people and all government authority emanates from them!"

" People don't care what we know until they know we care."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Major Battles In the Philippines · Next Topic »
Add Reply