Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This is the forum of the North Lancashire Road Club.and is for matters concerning club members and friends and cycling in general.Please use it responsibly.If you want to seek approval to join you must do so using your real name.
Welcome to Nlrc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.YOU MUST USE YOUR FIRST AND SURNAME TO JOIN!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Clitheroe Pool Triathlon - 2nd
Topic Started: Apr 17 2017, 09:00 AM (575 Views)
Aidan Holgate

Yesterday I took part in the Clitheroe Triathlon. After riding as part of a team last year I decided I wanted to do the whole thing in 2017. Clitheroe is a popular event with well over 300 entrants including Last years winner and Circuit of Pendle champion, Tony Cullen.
Preparation was mixed. Being a runner before coming to cycling meant the muscles quickly remembered how to run, getting me a park run 5km PB or 17.20. The swimming however was a little more tricky. For the 400m pool swim I was aiming for 7.45 which would put me 2.5 minutes down on the leaders upon leaving the pool.
With the bike course setting off over the Bashall climb before taking on Jeffrey's hill and defending through Stonyhurst I opted for the road bike with clip ons as I did last year in the relay.

It was forecast to be a miserable and wet day and the forecast was spot on. Getting out of the pool and onto the bike meant many pulled out with near hypothermia and there were also a number of crashes on the descents throughout the day. Tony Cullen was a DNF as to was a triathlete who I used to train with in Leeds.

With my predicted swim time I was off in a swim wave starting at 11.36am with an hours worth of athletes to follow. My swim went well getting a time of 7.43, 8.11 including the run to transition. In transition I had a plan to get a pair of arm warmers on which was very tricky with wet arms so I got one on and then stuffed the other in my pocket to get on during the bike. I also had a pair of Velotooze toe covers already on my shoes which kept my feet from getting cold. I set of steady and slowly reeled in a decent cyclist on his TT bike on the Bashall climb although he then passes me again on one of the flatter sections. The bike choice paid off when at the bottom of the climb to the bottom of Jeffers was the last I saw of him. I came back with the fastest bike leg by just under 2 minutes in 53.49 and my rapid T2 was actually the fastest transition of the day by a handful of seconds. The first 2 mile of the 5 mile run was hell but I settled in and rescued my time, 30.34, 3rd fastest on the day.
Overall I was surprised to find I had come 2nd, beating many experienced triathletes and only losing out by 1 min 10 seconds to a 19 year old national level triathlete who took 2 and a half minutes out of me on the swim!
Might have to do a few more now!

http://www.epicevents.co.uk/downloads/ClitheroeTriathlonResults2017.pdf
Edited by Aidan Holgate, Apr 17 2017, 10:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

benseddon

Sounds like a tough day in less than ideal conditions.

Well done on getting 2nd place Aid an.

Ken Platt

Well Done Aidan.
Edited by Ken Platt, Apr 17 2017, 10:44 AM.

Dave Brown

An excellent performance Aidan very well done

harryhaseley

Yes well done

David Hargreaves

Great performance, especially considering swimming and running aren't your normal sports.

Dave.

Steve Irwin

Well done, Aidan. Out of interest, have you ever had any swimming technique coaching? You're probably losing a lot of time due to poor technique, though some technique issues can be hard to address, e.g. if poor ankle flexibility is a major part of it.

Aidan Holgate

I've been invited down to the sessions Ribble Valley tri club do on a Wednesday night. I've not had any coaching yet although most people I've asked for advice from say my arms look good so there must be something going drastically wrong waist down. Hopefully I can start to improve this now

Roger Haydock

I have a book I can lend you which may help. Front crawl is probably 90%arms but streamlining the legs is more important than the power delivered by them. I will try to drop it in at work for you.
Roger.

Aidan Holgate

Thanks Rodger. Anything that might help would be appreciated

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Miscellaneous results · Next Topic »
Add Reply