Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This is the forum of the North Lancashire Road Club.and is for matters concerning club members and friends and cycling in general.Please use it responsibly.If you want to seek approval to join you must do so using your real name.
Welcome to Nlrc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.YOU MUST USE YOUR FIRST AND SURNAME TO JOIN!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Medical update
Topic Started: Oct 14 2017, 08:46 AM (408 Views)
Rod Goodfellow
Administrator
Several people have enquired after my "episode" so here is a summary:-

Death and resurrection. 26/9/17

On Friday September 8th I decided to go visit Pete for the weekend by riding to Chorley (11m) then train via Manchester to Grindleford whence ride over 1200ft hill to his home. At first all went well but after a steady ride uphill for about 3 miles from Grindleford I started the steady downhill and was coasting about 27mph when according to my Garmin I slowed down steadily over about 8 seconds to a stop. At this point I was seen to be at the edge of the road and just keeled over onto the grass.First on the scene was a 6’8” CPR trained orthopaedic instrument rep. who established I had no heartbeat and started CPR .Others stopped and sent for emergency services and an ambulance and helicopter arrived.Because of the terrain (ditches,walls,trees) they could not get me to the helicopter which left as soon as I was in the ambulance where I was diagnosed with ventricular fibrillation and after intubation,O2 and 2 defibrillator shocks was restored to normal rhythm and taken to Sheffield Northern General Hospital ITU.
There I was kept in an induced coma for 48 hours before going to the coronary care unit and several days of investigations between periods of returning memory ,lucidity and boredom.It was discovered that one of the minor left ventricular arteries was narrowed and a stent inserted via my right wrist. The only discomfort is in my left chest from a couple of rib fractures from the CPR. I still can’t remember anything between Grindleford and the CCU.I was allowed to leave hospital for Pete’s house on Friday 22nd where I found the 37 step stairs to my bedroom tiring but possible.Next day I was able to go for a 1mile woodland walk each way to a cafe and back followed by a walk round Costco (a huge supermarket).
I am now back home,on lots of medications,restricted from driving till October 6th,and hoping insurance will not be a problem for foreign travel by Nov 6th! I intend to go for a short ride today.My bike was completely undamaged when I collected it from a police station the far side of Sheffield,but all my cycling clothing except shoes and helmet have disappeared,presumably cut off me in the ambulance.I have lost about 6 or 7 lbs due to days of little food or activity.
The guy who resuscitated me was contacted and came to visit me before I left Pete’s,and seemed overjoyed that his efforts had been successful.He is intending to take up cycling so at 6”8 he is going to benefit from help and advice from Pete at 6’5.We have all arranged to keep in contact with each other.
Update. I am now slowly recovering and have managed several 35 mile rides out to the flatter lands to the west of Blackburn.I am still tired a lot of the time,feel the cold more than previously and lack motivation to do things till they become necessary.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Martin Wilcock

Good to hear you're still with us Rod.....hope you're back on the bike soon!

bob matthews

Sounds like you have been through the grinder Rod.Hope your feeling much better now, regards Bob.

Dave Brown

Familiar Rod???!!!

Two page article - with photo - in the Comic this week headed 'The man who saved my life' !!!

'Saved by the swift-thinking passer-by after his heart stopped dead on a Sunday ride.

If you have not seen it I can post it to your 'normal' address whether you are over here or not

Dave

Rod Goodfellow
Administrator
No I haven't seen it.I'm in Florida,but Maggie will be home on Feb 22,and I on March 6.

Dave Brown

OK Rod - I will post it to your usual address in a few days time. It does seem a close fit to yours.

Make the most of the weather out there !!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add Reply