Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This is the forum of the North Lancashire Road Club.and is for matters concerning club members and friends and cycling in general.Please use it responsibly.If you want to seek approval to join you must do so using your real name.
Welcome to Nlrc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.YOU MUST USE YOUR FIRST AND SURNAME TO JOIN!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A bit of Winter Entertainment?
Topic Started: Nov 1 2017, 04:14 PM (1,954 Views)
Dave Brown

Things are a bit quiet in Winter for our forum and in the past we had subjects such as 'Where is this' photos posted

I am sure that hidden away there are many club/cycling photos that would be of interest to many others - I have literally got many 100's but let us all forum members have a post of their own

I am therefore kicking off with one of my own 'Favourites'

I know it has been shown before - example at Emily's photo display a couple of Club Dinners ago but here it comes again

The date was about 1962 it was our NLRC 25 on the long lost Copster course - Start Yew Tree Drive - old Trafalgar- Walton - le - Dale U turn - Aerodrome to Billington U-turn - back via Mellor Brook to Yew Tree finish!!!No traffic lights then!

Can you believe that we used the central reservation at the Preston New Road end of Yew Tree Drive as Headquarters!!

There are 3 present Road Club members on the pic - and me behind the Ensign Fullview?? Camera!!

Can you name those 3 members? - I know some can so if you have seen it before please let some others have a go before we 'spill the Beans'!!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: KenP.jpg (67.23 KB)
Edited by Dave Brown, Nov 1 2017, 05:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ken Platt

"Upside down Training" . It never caught on :D

Ken Platt

Far right, the great Henry Gregson, sadly no longer with us.
Edited by Ken Platt, Nov 4 2017, 11:23 AM.

Dave Brown

Another era!! In my opinion and a far better era and not just for bike riding!

Yes- Ken had finished his '25' and was - shall we call it - 'warming down'

I suggest that you do not try to copy him unless you have a fixed gear bike!!!

Can you spot a very much younger Dave Hargreaves on that pic - and also an equally much younger Mal Gill??

I could name most of those at the end of Yew Tree drive that day - pity Rod did not live where he does today as we could have enjoyed a much better HQ!

My plan when launching this thread was not to dominate it - although I could do as I have many hundreds of NLRC related pics on file.

To keep it going here is my favourite action shot of our one and only NLRC British Competition Record Holder at 25 miles - on two wheels that is - Alan Shackleton - very sadly no longer with us.

'Shack' - as he was better known - looked incredible on his bike as you can see. The script says to the effect that Shack's record of 55m 38seconds was the last on Fixed gear - Shack riding a 'tiny' by today's standards 86 inch gear - although that is no longer the case - and I stand to be corrected but I think Chris Boardman over 30 years later rode fixed for a least one of his 25 Records

Just to clarify what I said above - Dave Gabbott broke the British Trike record twice riding for the NLRC - 1-00-56 in 1964 and 1-00-33 in 1966. That record incredibly is now 53m 37m - on a trike!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Shack.jpg (59.83 KB)

Ken Platt

OK then Dave I shall spill the beans. Dave Hargreaves is the second and Mal Gill is fifth, both from the left hand side and me upside down.

I wonder if Dave (Hovis) can tell us who that left foot on the LH. side belongs to. :'(

Re the photo of Alan Shack have you noticed the obligatory bell? (minimal time loss} :O
Edited by Ken Platt, Nov 8 2017, 11:22 AM.

Roger Haydock

Is the rider on the left Barry Sheppard and 7th from the left Alan Wìlkinsòñ, but I don't know who the foot belongs to.
Roger.

Dave Brown

It was a good try by Roger - so - to the best of my knowledge here it is:

Left to right - THE FOOT - as yet unidentified! - Barry Sheppard - Dave Hargreaves - Chris Douglas ( better known as 'Spot On') - Roy Haslam - Mal Gill - Peter Bateman - Alan Wilkinson - Bill Wadsworth (known as Big Bill) and Henry Gregson - one of our NLRC Founding Members.

Sadly some of those are no longer with us but we did have a number of those on that pic at our recent 1960's CTC Reunion at the - now closed - Petre Arms. At least Dave, Roy, Mal and myself the chap with the Ensign Fullview on the day.

I hope now to add an even older photo:

Taken outside of the Lower Buck in Waddington one Christmas - year unknown. That is me in a crouch with straw hat - LHS - but the task is to find the chap on the upside down bike in the other pic - Ken Platt
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Lower_Buck__5_.jpg (75.57 KB)
Edited by Dave Brown, Nov 8 2017, 06:49 PM.

Ken Platt

Hi That's me down the bottom of the photo wearing the tartan cap some people used to call me Mac Platt when I wore it.

Is there a prize for that Dave.

Anything off the front row?

A few more nick names. Top left "Six Guns", Next to him with the Beard "Spider" The lad in the middle with the big smile "Little Bear"
The lad with the wig and sun glasses "Gunge" and last but not least the straw hat Chap "Hovis".

Roger Haydock

Hi, I will have a guess.
Back row right Pat Haslem ne Keers Jack Standen, obscured.
Middle row left Roy Haslem 3rd Mike Chatterton 4th Charley Jaffrey
Front row next to Dave Ken Hartley.
Hope I havent insulted anyone with my guesses.
Roger.

Dave Brown

Another fine effort from Roger - one in there is Brian Moore now living in Truro

A good number of those riders came to the CTC / Blackburn Eagles reunion at the Petre Arms (RIP?) at the end of September

I started those get togethers when our old pal Derek Mayall ad wife Barbara (RIP) came over for the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002

This pic was taken at the Road Race there - at Horwich - they are mainly present NLRC members so how many can we name hanging over the barrier??
Attached to this post:
Attachments: NLRC_02.jpg (120.83 KB)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other rides and tours · Next Topic »
Add Reply