Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This is the forum of the North Lancashire Road Club.and is for matters concerning club members and friends and cycling in general.Please use it responsibly.If you want to seek approval to join you must do so using your real name.
Welcome to Nlrc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.YOU MUST USE YOUR FIRST AND SURNAME TO JOIN!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NLTTA 10 ENTRY DETAILS
Topic Started: Feb 3 2018, 02:56 PM (455 Views)
Terry Parker

The NLTTA 10 is to be held on the new L1017 Course based at Winmarleigh and Cockerham on SATURDAY 10th MARCH 2018. First man off 2.01pm. £5.00 Seniors, £2.00 under 18's. A signed consent for will be need for all junior riders.
The full event details are attached.
Entries to me please (cash/cheque payable to NLRC) by 7.00pm THURSDAY 1st MARCH.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: NLTTA_10_MAR18.pdf (113.99 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Irwin

For anyone who is interested, I've created a Strava segment for the course:
https://www.strava.com/segments/16938054?filter=overall

This threw up a couple of points about the course description:
1. The 3rd and 4th ranked performances are from last year's event, so the course has been used before, and the course record is probably last year's winning performance.
2. The distances are wrong. I spent a lot of time searching for Gibstick Cottage West 0.92 miles after the Elletson Arms, but it's more like 2.5 miles after it. I suspect the distances may have been copied from another course description that starts somewhere else?

Dave Brown

I would certainly not count this '10 mile' course as a CTT course - at least not for Open events

I know nothing about Strava and not a lot more about Satnav but I claim to know a fair amount about revolution counters for measuring courses and CTT regulations.

Which ever way you measure it the distance between Start and Finish is greater than that allowed for official CTT 10 mile courses. So it could not be used as an 'OPEN' 10 mile course.

A 'full loop' of that circuit is about 20 yards short of 12 and a half miles. For the 25 on there it is about 2 full laps plus about 60 yards including 'safety margin'

It is highly unlikely that any rider will set a Personal Best in that event but - and clearly from Steve's STRAVA map it is at least 2 miles as the crow flies between start and finish - it should not count under CTT Regs.

Absolutely no problem as there are many CTT courses that are not the official distance quoted - the Circuit of the Dales claims 50 miles but it is more like 50.8 if you plan to enter!

Steve Irwin

I meant the bit in bold, Dave:

"START on b5272 road in line with round section concrete bollard at northern side of entrance to Glasson limited near
Winmarleigh and about 2.5 miles North West of Garstang and 2.5 miles south of Cockerham parish hall. Proceed
north along the b5272 to junction with a588 at Cockerham (2.75 miles) where bear left along a588 to Stakepool (7.52
miles), to bear left opposite the Elletson Arms (9.08 miles). Continue to Cogie hill farm (9.55 miles) where left to finish
at the last telegraph pole before Gibstick Cottage west on Island Lane (10 MILES)."

If the Elletson Arms is at 9.08 miles, and the finish at 10 miles, it would be 0.92 miles from the Elletson Arms to the finish, but it's actually more like 2.5 miles. So the figure of 9.08 miles is incorrect. The other figures could be correct, it depends where exactly "Stakepool" is defined as starting, but 7.52 miles is in the ballpark of the correct distance to the Elletson Arms. This caused me to spend nearly 2 hours searching for Gibstick Cottage West to accurately create the Strava segment. On the plus side, now the course has a Strava segment, it probably won't matter for anyone else.

I agree with everything you said, Dave, I was just talking about something else. The big separation between start and finish will probably have quite an impact on the results, depending on how far apart people start and how the wind changes in between.

samanderton

It would be good to get a full team of five for this event.

Dave Brown

Paul W has confirmed that he has enough marshals for the Rossendale SPOCO so I think we should go back to the NLTTA 10 entries - and as a minimum - get at least five from our club entered as Sam suggested!

samanderton

Put me down please Terry,
What’s the best address to send a cheque to?
Thanks

Terry Parker

Sam, my winter residence is:
4 Hindle Fold Lane, Gt. Harwood, Lancs. BB6 7PT

samanderton

Thanks Terry

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Time trial results and news · Next Topic »
Add Reply