Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This is the forum of the North Lancashire Road Club.and is for matters concerning club members and friends and cycling in general.Please use it responsibly.If you want to seek approval to join you must do so using your real name.
Welcome to Nlrc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.YOU MUST USE YOUR FIRST AND SURNAME TO JOIN!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RTTC Regulation no 13 1956
Topic Started: Apr 16 2018, 08:52 PM (77 Views)
Ken Platt

From the RTTC Handbook 1956
Reg 13. Men and Women.

Any event shall be open to men and women, but no event shall be held in which men compete with women.
When events for both men and women are scheduled to be promoted on the same course and day, promoters must by adjusting the arrangements for the event concerned, ensure that men and women do not intermingle. :$
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dave Brown

Ken Platt
Apr 16 2018, 08:52 PM
From the RTTC Handbook 1956
Reg 13. Men and Women.

Any event shall be open to men and women, but no event shall be held in which men compete with women.
When events for both men and women are scheduled to be promoted on the same course and day, promoters must by adjusting the arrangements for the event concerned, ensure that men and women do not intermingle. :$
You still have a 1956 RTTC - as it was called in those far off days - handbook Ken??

That is just around the time both of us started time trialling but I must admit I have dispensed with my handbooks of that era - mainly because I probably had every one since then - even this years!!!

Was the 'no intermingling' confined to 'on the road ' or was it also not allowed at the Headquarters??!!

Another rule of the RTTC in that era was that Open '10's' were for ladies only. Yes we had our 'club 10's' mostly mid week when we all rode but there were no Open 10's for men until around 1970!

In fact I was brought up to accept that 10's were 'Little Girls Events'!!!! and look at the issues on that famous V718 at the mo - today's men are flocking there - or WERE flocking there from all parts of the World!!

I can remember one 'intermingling' that occurred but was certainly not designed to happen by the event organiser!!

It was 1967 - I had ridden a '50' (men only) !! on the top end of the famous 'Boro' (Boroughbridge) on the Sunday morning up at Catterick.

On the way home we parked on the side of the A1 at Dishforth RAB because the Yorkshire 12 hour was on that day. We were stood on the central reservation - Sunday afternoon!! - imagine doing that now!! It is nowadays the M1 anyway.

Then it happened!! Coming south was Mike McNamara in the Yorkshire '12' but almost on his back wheel was Beryl Burton !! They turned off the A1 there at Dishforth and it was just after did that Beryl caught Mac and rode alongside and offered him that famous liquorice allsort as she overtook him !!! I am filling up just writing this!!! - it was such a famous moment in our time trialling history!!!!!!!!

Mac set a new British Men's 12 record of 276.52 miles and Beryl set a Ladies at 277.25 miles!! Beryl's record was only beaten by a lady last year - 50 years it stood!!

Why I mention all this is that they set all the men off first in that 12 and the ladies after the men - to ENSURE NO INTERMINGLING of men and women!! Maybe Beryl should have been DQ'd for doing just that!!

RIP Beryl She was Guest of Honour at our NLRC 21st Club Dinner at the old de Tabley at Ribchester in 1971 - hopefully the pic on link below!!

Attached to this post:
Attachments: NLRC21Crop.jpg (166.92 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other rides and tours · Next Topic »
Add Reply