|Board Rules and Info|
1. This forum is semi-public and as such is strictly monitored for content.
2. Any posts that are off-topic, inflammatory, disrespectful, or discourteous WILL be removed without notice. Multiple violations WILL result in your account being banned.
3. In addition to a zero-tolerance policy toward personal attacks, we also enforce a zero-tolerance policy toward attacks on any group based on Religion, race, gender, or other classifications. We expect that our members will voice their enthusiasm and support for atheist causes with the utmost respect for all other groups of people.
4. If you simply restrict your tone to what you would use in polite company, you don't ever have to worry whatsoever.
1. You must register to post messages and not all topics allow posts.
2. Prior to posting a new topic use the Search function to locate any existing threads on that topic.
3. When you start a topic, be sure to enter some carefully considered "key words." This will help to make sure that your topic is found by users through the Search feature.
4. DO NOT START a new topic if one already exists. Instead, continue that discussion. If you start a topic that has already been dealt with in a previous topic, expect to be referred to that existing topic.
5. DO START a new topic rather than derailing and hijacking an existing topic. If you hijack a topic, expect to be asked to start a new topic.
6. Place topics under the appropriate category. If misplaced, they may be moved by a moderator.
1. Keep your replies concise. If you go on and on, no one will read it.
2. Make only substantive replies. If you respond with only a "yup" or a "ROFL" then you are only detracting from the discussion. If you agree or disagree, say clearly why.
3. If someone starts a redundant topic, politely refer them to that existing topic.
4. If someone posts a reply that is clearly off topic, politely redirect them or encourage them to initiate a new discussion thread.
5. If someone is simply trying to be provocative, do not respond. If the thread is getting repetitive, simply cease responding. You don't need the last word.
6. If someone flagrantly violates the rules of this site, do not rage. Simply use the "report" option to bring the post to the moderators' attention. If you argue with the poster, you risk getting banned from the site as well.
7. Include quoted text selectively. Don't quote and repeat entire posts. Readers can refer back if they wish to see the original post in its entirety.
1. You have tremendous control over your own visibility and board settings. Go to Preferences to customize your settings.
2. Be sure to check the calendar to learn about events sponsored and supported by NYC Atheists.
3. You can send directed personal messages to other forum users. However, use this sparingly when you wish to initiate a private discussion.
4. You can also email a topic to friends and colleagues to bring it to their attention. Look for the "E-mail" option on the lower right of the topic page.
5. Additionally, you can track topics via email as well. Look for the "track topic" and "subscribe to this forum" options.
6. You have the ability to create a personal blog on this site. Check under preferences.
7. If your time is incorrect, look for your time setup under preferences, board setup.