w11.zetaboards.com Webutation
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- NATIONS

Domestic News: | International News: P | Military News: | Financial News: | Other News: |
Add Reply
قناة العراقية |; News from Iraq
Topic Started: May 28 2015, 10:38 AM (49 Views)
Jos1311
Member Avatar
Head Admin
Posted Image

قناة العراقية
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Jos1311
Member Avatar
Head Admin
Iraqi Ministry of Defense preparing for offensive operations
Experts fear destruction of Palmyra, after ISIS militants destroy ancient Assyria Castle in Shargat

Posted Image

BAGHDAD | Iraq (June 2018) -- A Security source in Haditha District revealed Wednesday, the arrival of military reinforcements coming from Ein al-Assad base near al-Baghdadi sub-district, in preparation to retake Zaweya village affiliated to al-Kahsfah sub-district southern Haditha District.

"The forces of the Iraqi army have arrived as reinforcements to Haditha District coming from Ein al-Assad base in al-Baghdadi sub-district", adding that "military force will participate in liberating Zaweya village battle affiliated to al-Kahsfah sub-district,” the source told Al-Iraqiya.

“The security forces and clans are preparing for the implementation of large-scale military operations that target all ISIS terrorist organization’s sites in Haditha District,” the source added.

Iraqi forces have repelled an attack by ISIS last Monday on Fallujah, according to police sources, the attack killed about 23 terrorists.

As additional Iraqi security forces are making their way towards Fallujah, other units are being readied to move towards Tikrit.

Defense minister Abdul Qadir Obeidi said that at the moment his ministry is closely looking towards how the Iraqi military will be adjusted and improved to make them better suited in coping with the threat posed by Daesh. "We expect to issue several tenders in the coming months. These tenders will be for weapon systems that are deemed the highest priority for the fight against Daesh," the minister said. Adding that among the tenders most likely will be artillery systems, armored vehicles, and helicopters. Some source close to the ministry revealed that there are also plans to expand the Special Forces branch of the Army.

It also was revealed that ISIS militants had destroyed two gates of ancient Assyria Castle in Sharqat city northern Salahuddin province, according to security sources. “ISIS militants have blown up the gates of the castle, and severely damaged the castle. We fear that the remainder of the castle will also be completely destroyed,” a source who is a lieutenant told Al-Iraqiya.

The ancient citadel is dating back to 2500 BC and was chosen in 2007 to be one of the World Heritage areas. The organization in the past months destroyed many other important archaeological areas in Iraq, including Hatra and Nimrod.

The news of the partial destruction of the ancient Assyria Castle in Shargat, has fueled concerns that the militants might destroy many important artifacts and sites within the ancient city of Palmyra in Syria, after ISIS occupied the city in the past week.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Jos1311
Member Avatar
Head Admin
Attacks in Baghdad and Fallujah kill 37 people
Bomb attack on two hotels in Baghdad kills 20

Posted Image

BAGHDAD | Iraq (June 2018) -- Car bomb attacks on two upmarket Baghdad hotels killed 20 and wounded 42 on Thursday night, Iraqi authorities said. According to an official vehicles packed with explosives detonated in the parking lots of the central Cristal Grand Ishtar and Babylon hotels just before midnight local time, in separate, but apparently coordinated attacks.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the blasts but the Islamic State (ISIS) militant group, which overran a significant portion of the country last year, has been carrying out regular bombings in the capital and elsewhere.

The two hotels were recently refurbished and are frequented by NGO workers and journalists. Cristal Grand Ishtar, which has a ground floor cafe and is a popular spot for wedding parties, is located in a compound that also contains the Palestine Hotel and is typically crowded on Thursday nights, the start of the Iraqi weekend. Babylon Hotel, meanwhile, is regularly used by government officials for press conferences and meetings.

In January 2010 Suicide bombers from ISIS predecessor organization Al-Qaeda in Iraq struck both hotels, along with the Hamra, killing at least 36. After those attacks security details around the hotels were stepped up. Significant security presence and vehicles are searched at entrance checkpoints, so questions will likely be raised over how the assailants were able to penetrate the compounds with large explosive devices.

The government lifted its years-old nightly curfew in February 2015, ending a policy of restricting movement after dark that had been in place in various forms since 2003's American-led invasion. In February, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said he wished to ease restrictions on daily life for Iraqis, although the decision came after gains against ISIS.

Earlier this week another attack killed 17 Iraqi soldiers. The attack took place in the Baghdad-held city of Fallujah, located about 40 miles west of Baghdad, Iraqi Military spokesman Brig. General Saad Maan Ibrahim told Al-Iraqiya. The spokesman said it was unclear how many assailants were involved, but that the violence was waged from multiple directions and targeted a water control station, as well as a canal lock system from the Euphrates River. A sandstorm reportedly provided the opportunity for the militants to wage the attack.

In the past days the government announced that large offensives were to be undertaken against ISIS, with Iraqi security sources stating that the main focus would be securing the greater Fallujah region, and re-capturing Tikrit. The attacks most likely will not defer the military from continuing these planned operations, but it does indicate that the fight against IS is far from over.

Source
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Jos1311
Member Avatar
Head Admin
In light of new setbacks Iraq is planning to bring Hashd Shabbi to Anbar province to fight IS
U.S. in doubts over bringing Shiite militias to Sunni region of the coutnry

Posted Image

BAGHDAD | Iraq (July 2018) -- More than 25,000 ISIS fighters have been killed since the international coalition started its campaign against the militant group in Iraq, Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Wednesday.

Speaking after the coalition met in Paris, he said there had been a great deal of progress in the fight against ISIS, but that the group remained resilient. "We have seen a lot of losses within ISIS since the start of this campaign, more than 25,000," Blinken said on France Inter radio, using a mildly derogatory term for ISIS. "It will end up having an impact."

Despite these words, Iraqi prime minister Haider al-Abadi called for the international coalition to step up their efforts and assistance, as in the past months the number of aerial operations carried out has gone done significantly. "The Iraqi air force is still in the process of being established, and until that time we ask the international community to support our troops on the ground from the air," the prime minister said at the conference.

While Washington has not stood unwilling towards expanding the aerial operations in Iraq again, U.S. officials have called upon Baghdad to step up their offensive operations. Iraqi officials on the other hand have said that it has been Washington that has made that difficult, as Washington does not want to see units as the Hashd Shaabi, the Shia paramilitaries which the US sees as being under Iranian influence, play a large role in these operations. "Washington is on the one hand calling for us to act, but also stressing that we cannot cooperate with the Hashd Shaabi in Sunni areas like Anbar province," one Iraqi official said.

Within the Iraqi government the desire to utilize the around 120,000 Hashd Shaabi militias is growing, as these units, just like the elite Iraqi Army units, have been rather successful in their fight against IS. Whereas the performance of the regular Iraqi Army has been mixed, and in some cases extremely weak, according to several sources in parliament.

Michael Oren, an American-born diplomat who served as Israel's ambassador to the United States, warned Washington to never ally with Iran, even against Sunni terrorists. "Allying with and supporting militias as the Hashd Shaabi would be a grave mistake. I urge Washington o not make a pact with Iran," he told journalists.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Round 5 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin created by tiptopolive