| Welcome to Natural Hazards Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| 15 Missing After Boat Carrying Foreign Tourists Sinks in Eastern Indonesia | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: 17 Aug 2014, 11:35 PM (252 Views) | |
| skibboy | 17 Aug 2014, 11:35 PM Post #1 |
|
15 Missing After Boat Carrying Foreign Tourists Sinks in Eastern Indonesia BY REUTERS ON AUGUST 17, 2014 ![]() Map shows the location of Lombok in Indonesia. Map courtesy Google JAKARTA, Aug 17 (Reuters) – Fifteen foreign tourists were missing on Sunday after a boat travelling between islands in eastern Indonesia sank, an Indonesian search-and-rescue official said.Suryaman, based on the island of Lombok, told Reuters that 10 people had been rescued after the ship sank on its way from that island to Komodo Islands. He said he did not know the fate of the other 15 people on the vessel, which had a crew of five Indonesians and was carrying 20 foreigners. The vessel left Lombok on Thursday night and sank on Saturday about 7 pm local time “and we only received a report at 8 am (on Sunday),” said Suryaman, adding that poor communication caused a delay in deploying a search-and-rescue team. Local fishermen rescued five people before the team arrived, he said. The official said that of the 10 rescued people, the nationalities were known for five – two each from New Zealand and Spain, and one from Britain. Tajudin Sam, who runs the tour company operating the boat, said it likely encountered stormy weather. A boat ride from Lombok to Komodo can take three days. Komodo is famous for its monitor lizards, which draw many tourists. (Reporting by Chris Nusatya; Writing by Kanupriya Kapoor; Editing by Richard Borsuk) © 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. ![]() Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 17 Aug 2014, 11:56 PM Post #2 |
|
17 August 2014 Indonesian tourist boat sinking leaves 15 missing ![]() At least 10 foreign tourists and five Indonesian crew are missing after a boat sank off the coast of eastern Indonesia, officials say. Ten people were rescued after the boat foundered off Sumbawa, between Lombok and the Komodo Islands. A representative of the tour company operating the boat said it was likely to have encountered stormy weather. The UK Foreign Office says two British nationals have been hospitalised following the incident. It would not comment on the nature of their injuries. Lombok, which is next to the resort island of Bali, attracts thousands of tourists each year. Reef strike A search and rescue official in Lombok has told the BBC that the 10 survivors are tourists from the UK, New Zealand, Spain, France, Germany and the Netherlands. Officials said the boat sank early on Saturday but the survivors were not rescued until late that day. "The incident took place... when the boat hit a reef and sank," AFP was told by one official, Suryaman, who goes by one name. "Fishermen managed to rescue five of them alive later at night on Saturday, and five other foreigners were rescued by a sailing boat." Accidents at sea have frequently occurred when migrant boats navigate through the archipelago, but accidents involving tourist boats are rare. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 18 Aug 2014, 11:20 PM Post #3 |
|
Two Now Missing After Boat Carrying Foreign Tourists Sinks in Eastern Indonesia – UPDATE BY REUTERS ON AUGUST 18, 2014 JAKARTA, Aug 18 (Reuters) – Bad weather was hampering a desperate search on Monday for two foreign tourists still missing after a boat travelling between two Indonesian islands sank at the weekend, although 13 more people had been plucked from the water alive, officials said.A small cruise ship carrying 20 foreign tourists and five Indonesian crew sank on Saturday night as it sailed between Lombok and Komodo islands. Indonesian authorities had said as many as 15 of the tourists were missing overnight. However, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the national disaster management agency, said 13 more people, including eight tourists and all five Indonesian crew, had been rescued in the hours since then. “The survivors were found by fishermen, and they were found floating with life-jackets,” Nugroho said in a text message. He said the survivors were being treated at a clinic on West Nusa Tenggara island, which lies between Lombok and Komodo. Conditions had turned against rescuers searching for the remaining two tourists. “We have deployed speed boats and a helicopter … but we are encountering bad weather and high waves,” Nugroho said. The tourists rescued so far are from Britain, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, and New Zealand. Tajudin Sam, who runs the tour company that operated the ship, said it likely ran into stormy weather. The ship was on a three-day trip from Lombok, a popular destination for tourists, to Komodo Island, which is famous for its giant monitor lizards. Indonesia has a checkered maritime safety record among the thousands of ferries that criss-cross the vast archipelago. Two ships sank last month during the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holidays, killing 36 people. (Reporting by Kanupriya Kapoor and Chris Nusatya; Editing by Randy Fabi and Paul Tait) © 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. ![]() Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 20 Aug 2014, 01:05 AM Post #4 |
|
Indonesian boat sinking survivor: We had to swim for shore By CNN Staff August 19, 2014 (CNN) -- Rescuers have expanded the search for two tourists missing more than three days after the boat they were traveling on sank in Indonesia, as survivors recounted their ordeal at sea. The 23 other passengers and crew were rescued on Sunday, pulled from the water by local fishermen and search and rescue teams. The survivors spent more than 36 hours in the water. The two missing people are believed to be Spanish, other passengers on board said -- though officials at the Spanish foreign ministry could not confirm this. The tourists -- mostly from Europe -- were on what was supposed to be an exotic getaway: a cruise from west to east, departing from the island of Lombok -- which lies opposite Bali -- in the province of West Nusa Tenggara and ending in Labuan Bajo, in East Nusa Tenggara, with a number of stops along the way. Under normal conditions, the journey would take four nights to complete. Boat hits rocks Everything appeared fine when the vessel, named Versace Amara, set sail last Thursday. Three days into the trip, the boat ran into trouble. Budiawan, head of the rescue mission, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, says it's believed the boat hit rocks off Sangeang, at about 1 a.m. local time on Saturday morning. Water began leaking into the vessel, forcing the passengers and crew to abandon ship. The vessel was carrying 20 tourists, three crew and two local guides. Budiawan said authorities were first notified of the incident on Sunday morning and immediately deployed rescuers to the site. The nearest town is Bima on the island of Sumbawa -- a two-hour boat ride away from where the boat sank. Recounting the disaster, one of the survivors said the group decided to split into two. "There was a coastline visible, a deserted island about five kilometers (3.1 miles) through rough water," Tony Lawton from New Zealand told CNN affiliate the Seven Network. The 10 strongest swimmers decided to swim for the coast and they thought they'd probably survive it and luckily they did, but it was very close. Survivor "The 10 strongest swimmers decided to swim for the coast and they thought they'd probably survive it and luckily they did, but it was very close." In the end, Lawton said the group got within half a kilometer of shore but were exhausted. They were able to wave at a group of fishermen on the beach, who went out to retrieve half of them on Sunday afternoon. Search officials say the other five were picked up by rescue crews. All from the first group were taken to hospital in Bima. Another 13 passengers and crew stayed in the water near the sunken boat, using lifebuoys and life vests to stay afloat. They were retrieved by local fishermen on Sunday evening, in the waters of Sape. They've since been treated in hospital, and eight are staying at a hotel in Bima, waiting for officials from their respective consulates to arrive to help them. Lack of equipment Another survivor, Spanish national Rafael Martinez, criticized the lack of equipment on the boat. "There was no security, no radio, no GPS, no navigation equipment. There were nothing," he told CNN affiliate Trans7 Indonesia. "Only life jacket, but life jacket, it doesn't work. If you're in the middle of the ocean with a life jacket, what happens? Nothing." "This problem should have been solved very, very easy," another unidentified survivor told the Seven Network. "We could have had a boat coming to rescue us in one hour, if they would have had any machine, radio, GPS or anything that all the boats will have. But without everything, maybe people are dead." However, the tour operator rejected the survivors' claims. Tajudin Sam, owner of Eriksa Travel Agency, told CNN there was equipment on board to call for help. "I admit no GPS, but the boat had two radio communications and was working well," he said. Tajudin said the boat was only three months' old and modeled on a traditional Phinisi sail boat -- but with a motor. He did admit he did not have a full list of the passengers' names and passport numbers. "We normally do not make copies of the passports of the tourists for the cruise," he said. "Passengers usually write down their own names and passport numbers on a list -- that's why in this case, some tourists wrote only their first names. I cannot read some of their handwriting clearly." The two tourists still missing are believed to be male adults. Budiawan said it's believed the missing men, who were with the second group, became separated owing to strong currents. CNN's Chieu Luu contributed to this report. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Marine · Next Topic » |




JAKARTA, Aug 17 (Reuters) – Fifteen foreign tourists were missing on Sunday after a boat travelling between islands in eastern Indonesia sank, an Indonesian search-and-rescue official said.




3:24 PM Jul 11