| Welcome to Natural Hazards Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| China floods death toll passes 100 | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: 20 Aug 2013, 12:25 AM (91 Views) | |
| skibboy | 20 Aug 2013, 12:25 AM Post #1 |
|
19 AUGUST 2013 China floods death toll passes 100 ![]() Picture taken on August 16, 2013 shows rescuers putting sand bags along a destroyed road in flood-hit Hongshi township of Huadian, northeast China's Jilin province. AFP - Devastating floods at opposite ends of China have left 105 people dead and another 115 missing in recent days, state media said Monday. Flooding in the northeast which left 72 people dead was described as "the worst in decades" by state news agency Xinhua, while another 33 people died in the south as a result of the weather, it said citing the ministry of civil affairs. Liaoning, the worst-hit province, had 54 fatalities and another 97 people missing, Xinhua said. President Xi Jingping "has demanded all-out efforts in putting people's lives first", the agency added. The worst-hit province in the south, battered by Typhoon Utor last week, was Guangdong where 22 people were dead and eight missing, it added. Transport links were severely crippled, affecting tens of thousands of travellers. Some services from Guangzhou railway station, Guangdong's most important transport hub, were suspended due to rain and landslides. State media said 80,000 passengers were stranded over the weekend because of the disruption. Services were beginning to return to normal from Monday, the station said in a statement on its website. More than 2,800 soldiers have been drafted in to help with the relief efforts, Xinhua reported earlier. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 21 Aug 2013, 01:45 AM Post #2 |
|
Floods leave at least 107 dead in China By Katie Hunt and Feng Ke, CNN August 20, 2013 ![]() Men attempt to clean a building in Fushun City, China, on Tuesday, August 20. Beijing (CNN) -- Flooding in China's north and south caused by heavy rain has left at least 107 dead and inundated roads and farmland, the government and state media said. Three provinces in China's northeast bore the brunt of the floods with 85 dead and 105 missing in Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaoning as of 4pm on Monday, the government said. A total of 37 million residents in that region were affected by flood waters, Xinhua said, which were described by a local newspaper as the worst in 50 years in Liaoning province. More than 787,000 hectares of farmland in the region, a major grain growing area, were flooded and pictures showed roads in many urban areas looking more like rivers. Xinhua said that the People's Liberation Army had been mobilized to carry out rescue work. At the opposite end of the country, rainfall in the wake of Typhoon Utor, which made landfall in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong last week, has killed 22 people and caused 8.6 billion yuan ($1.4 billion) of damage there. Dykes ruptured near Shantou in eastern Guangdong flooding low-lying homes and killing 10. Some internet users criticized the official response to the floods. "Government rescue is too slow. They send troops overseas for military exercise, but don't care about its own people," said a user of the Twitter-like Sina Weibo with the name @Lingchenliangdinan. "Our farmland is completely flooded. The past year's effort is all gone," said another user @WoxiaotarenkanbuchuanL. Feng Ke reported from Beijing, Katie Hunt wrote from Hong Kong Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 21 Aug 2013, 11:53 PM Post #3 |
|
21 AUGUST 2013 New rains kill 21 more in flood-hit China: Xinhua ![]() Residents sit on top of vehicles submerged by water in the flood-hit Chaonan district of Shantou, in southern China's Guangdong province, August 19, 2013. AFP - Heavy rains killed 21 construction workers as flooding spread to northwest China, state media said Wednesday, after severe weather in other parts of the country left more than 130 dead. Sudden rainstorms and hail battered Haixi in Qinghai province, "washing away" the workers on Tuesday evening, the official Xinhua news agency said. "The workers were repairing a construction site at the time when the tragedy happened," it added. A search for three missing people was under way. Meanwhile, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang called for "persistent efforts" to save victims from what Xinhua described as "the worst floods in decades" in northeast China. Authorities said 85 people in the region were confirmed dead, 105 missing, and some 3.74 million people had been affected by the severe weather. The worst-affected province was Liaoning, where Xinhua quoted Guo Shouying, 54, as saying: "Floodwater gushed out of the embankments and my mother was swept away. "The neighbours heard her desperate calls for help, but the flood was so huge that no one dared to swim into the water to rescue her." Her mother's body was found 100 metres from her home in Xinbin the next day. "One hand pressed her nose and her mouth was wide open, she was probably choked by water," said Guo tearfully. Another 49 people have perished in Hunan, central China, and in the southern provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi, the ministry of civil affairs announced. Nearly 3,000 military personnel were mobilised to help with the relief efforts, Xinhua reported earlier. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
![]() Our users say it best: "Zetaboards is the best forum service I have ever used." |
|
| « Previous Topic · Flooding · Next Topic » |










9:33 AM Jul 11