| Welcome to Natural Hazards Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Sardinia storms and flash floods 'kill at least nine' | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: 19 Nov 2013, 01:55 AM (54 Views) | |
| skibboy | 19 Nov 2013, 01:55 AM Post #1 |
|
19 November 2013 Sardinia storms and flash floods 'kill at least nine' ![]() Hundreds of people have been evacuated from their homes At least nine people have been killed as heavy storms and floods swept through the Italian island of Sardinia, local officials say. They say a number of people are missing after rivers burst their banks, sweeping cars away and causing a bridge to collapse. The worst-hit area appears to be in and around the north-eastern city of Olbia. Hundreds of people across the Mediterranean island were evacuated from their homes. "We're at maximum alert," Giorgio Cicalo, an official from Sardinia's civil protection authority, told Italy's Rai TV. "We haven't seen a situation as extreme as this, perhaps for decades. Especially because it's been across the whole island." Local media report three people died when a road bridge collapsed onto their car near Olbia. In a separate incident, a mother and her daughter were found dead in their car after it was swept away by floods. Among the victims was also a police officer who died after a bridge collapsed. Olbia Mayor Gianni Giovanelli was quoted by Sky TG24 as saying that the city had been destroyed by an "apocalyptic"' storm. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| skibboy | 20 Nov 2013, 12:34 AM Post #2 |
|
19 NOVEMBER 2013 Toll from flash floods in Italy's Sardinia rises to 14 ![]() A man walks in a flooded street of Siliqua, a tiny village in the center of Sardinia, on November 18, 2013 AFP - The toll from flash floods that swept through Italy's holiday island of Sardinia has risen to 14, regional president Ugo Cappellacci said on Tuesday. On Monday rivers broke their banks and a cyclone smashed cars, flooded homes and brought down bridges on the island. The previous toll stood at nine. Source:
|
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Flooding · Next Topic » |








9:33 AM Jul 11