Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Natural Hazards Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sardinia mourns flood dead, bad weather moves to mainland Italy
Topic Started: 21 Nov 2013, 01:23 AM (82 Views)
skibboy
Member Avatar

20 NOVEMBER 2013

Sardinia mourns flood dead, bad weather moves to mainland Italy

Posted Image
Floodwaters sweep through Uras, in central Sardinia, on November 18, 2013

Posted Image
Cars lay abandoned on in a flooded street in San Gavino Monreale, central Sardinia, on November 19, 2013

Posted Image
Firefighters rescue citizens in Terralba, centre Sardinia, on November 19, 2013

Posted Image
A damaged street in Uras, central Sardinia, on November 18, 2013 after a Mediterranean cyclone triggered flash floods

Posted Image
Boats are carried in a truck to give assistance to floods victims on November 19, 2013 in Terralba, central Sardinia, after a Mediterranean cyclone triggered flash floods

Posted Image
Italian firefighters rescue a citizen in Terralba, central Sardinia, on November 19, 2013

Posted Image
Map locating the Sardinian towns hit by deadly floodsMap locating the Sardinian towns hit by deadly floods

Posted Image
Flash floods on Italy's Sardinia leave 18 dead.

AFP - The port city of Olbia in Sardinia held a day of mourning Wednesday and prepared to bury its dead after flash floods left 16 people on the island dead.

One person was still reported missing two days after heavy rain and high winds flooded homes, but the number of people in emergency shelter had been reduced from 2,700 to 1,700, Italy's civil protection agency said.

"The search for the missing person continues, as does the rescue operation. We think the road network will be usable by the end of the day," a member of the agency's press office told AFP.

The death toll of 16 was revised down from a figure of 18 announced by government on Tuesday.

Rain continued to fall overnight but caused no further damage to buildings or bridges on the island.

Olbia, a popular holiday destination in the summer months which was left almost entirely under water, declared a day of mourning and began organising funerals for six of the flood victims.

The bad weather crept across onto the mainland, flooding streets and felling trees in the south of the country, from the Calabria region to the capital.

Authorities in Calabria were preparing to declare a state of natural disaster after "floods and landslides which have caused damage and constitute a danger" for inhabitants.

In Rome, firemen were called out 150 times during the night to remove fallen trees from roads and pump water out of cellars.

Ferries between Naples and nearby islands were also halted.

Source: Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Flooding · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin by OverTheBelow