Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Natural Hazards Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Indonesia volcano: Mount Sinabung eruptions
Topic Started: 10 Jan 2014, 02:24 AM (210 Views)
skibboy
Member Avatar

Indonesia volcano: Mount Sinabung eruption intensifies

By Naomi Ng for CNN
January 9, 2014

Posted Image
Hot lava runs down Mount Sinabung, Indonesia's highest mountain, from a lava dome on January 5 in North Sumatra, Indonesia. It has been erupting since September.

Hong Kong (CNN) -- A volcanic eruption in Indonesia that has displaced more than 22,000 people is intensifying, local authorities say.

Mount Sinabung, which began spewing gas in September after a three-year slumber, has erupted over 220 times this week.

The hot ashes and smoke have caused pyroclastic flows -- a fast-moving mass of gas and rocks -- to stretch to seven kilometers down the southeast slope of the 2,600 meter (8,530 foot) mountain in North Sumatra.

Last week, flows reached three kilometers.

The local government is still able to cope with the disaster, and no casualties have been reported according to Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for Indonesia's national agency for disaster management.

The government has evacuated more than 22,000 people to 34 temporary camps.

However one area, housing at least 1,000 residents, still lacks necessary provisions and shelter.

The displaced say they have urgent need for baby formula, clean water and gas, said local aid coordinator in Jambur Siabang-abang.

A national emergency hasn't been declared, but the government is prepared for the "worst case scenario."

In case of bigger eruptions, the danger zone would be extended to a radius of 10 kilometers from 5 to 7 kilometers currently.

If the zone is enlarged, Nugroho estimates that 59,000 people would have to be evacuated.

Source: Posted Image
Edited by skibboy, 10 Jan 2014, 02:25 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
skibboy
Member Avatar

1 February 2014

Indonesia volcano Sinabung in deadly eruption

Posted Image
A villager runs as Mount Sinabung erupt at Sigarang-Garang village in Karo district, Indonesia's North Sumatra province, February 1

A volcano has erupted on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, engulfing villages in ash and killing at least 14 people.

Mount Sinabung spewed hot gas, ash and rocks 2km (1.5 miles) into the air in a series of eruptions during the morning.

Emergency official Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said three schoolchildren and a teacher were among the dead.

Thousands were evacuated in September when Sinabung erupted after being dormant for three years.

Many were allowed back to their homes on Friday.

Officials fear there may have been more casualties, but they cannot get closer because of the heat from the eruption.

Pictures taken at the scene showed rescue workers recovering bodies that were buried in ash.

Posted Image
Saturday's eruption was the worst since Sinabung came back to life in 2010, after 400 years dormancy

Posted Image
Experts say the mountain is more difficult to predict than other more closely studied mountains

When the volcano erupted in 2010, at least two people were killed and 30,000 others were displaced.

Before 2010, Sinabung had not erupted in 400 years.

It is one of about 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia.

Experts say Sinabung has been studied less than more active volcanoes, making it more difficult to predict.

Posted Image
For the past five months, Indonesians have become accustomed to eruptions from Sinabung

Posted Image
The volcano has covered villages nearby in ash and debris

Source: Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
skibboy
Member Avatar

Volcanic ash smothers part of Indonesia, kills 15

By Kathy Quiano and Mark Morgenstein, CNN

February 2, 2014

Posted Image
Mount Sinabung fills the sky over Karo, North Sumatra, Indonesia, with smoke and ash as it erupts on Saturday, February 1. The volcano has been erupting since September.

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- The 15 victims simply couldn't outrun the searing debris that billowed out of Indonesia's Mount Sinabung.

Plumes of ash had spewed more than a mile into the sky Saturday and descended in superheated clouds.

Scalding ash up to 700 degrees in temperature raced down the slope in just two to three minutes.

By the end of several eruptions, at least 15 people had been killed, a government official told CNN.

It was the first time Mount Sinabung's volcanic output had resulted in deaths, the Jakarta Post reported.

On Sunday, the sky above the North Sumatra mountain was still the color of murky gray ash, as shown on video from the Indonesia Geologic Agency.

The victims, and at least three other injured people, were all found in Sukameriah, a village close to the volcano's crater, disaster mitigation agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told CNN.

Local search-and-rescue teams were scheduled to go on a recovery operation Sunday, he said.

Eruptions at Mount Sinabung are becoming common.

After about 400 years of minimal volcanic activity there, Sinabung erupted in 2010.

It has been emitting gas since September.

The English-language Jakarta Post said while 31 people previously had died from eruption-related illnesses such as asthma and hypertension.

The unpredictable volcanic volatility has meant an itinerant existence for those who live in this region a 2½ hour flight from Jakarta.

Last month, intensifying volcanic activity forced 22,000 people into temporary camps, but more than half were allowed to return home on Friday.

The newest volcanic activity has forced people to evacuate 16 villages, the Jakarta Post reported.

At least 30,000 people have been temporarily housed at 42 evacuation centers, according to Billy Sumuan, the emergency response director in Indonesia for the humanitarian group World Vision.

Saturday's victims lived within a 3-kilometer radius of the volcano.

Some were there checking on their homes or were there just to watch the eruptions, Nugroho said.

Others were students and volunteers in the region to help its beleaguered people, Sumuan said.

The government had issued the highest level of alert for the latest eruptions, and Sumuan noted that no one was supposed to go inside a 5-kilometer zone around the volcano.

Several government agencies and nongovernmental humanitarian groups were on the scene Sunday helping those affected, including World Vision, which Sumuan said was helping children with their trauma and hygiene.

The government and local churches handed out masks to everyone to mitigate breathing problems, he said.

Kathy Quiano wrote and reported on this story from Indonesia, Brian Walker reported from Atlanta, and Mark Morgenstein wrote and reported from Atlanta.

Source: Posted Image
Edited by skibboy, 3 Feb 2014, 01:16 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
skibboy
Member Avatar

Searches resume in Indonesia after Mount Sinabung eruptions kill 15

By Kathy Quiano and Jethro Mullen, CNN
February 3, 2014

Posted Image
Mount Sinabung releases ash into the sky during an eruption as seen from Payung village in North Sumatra, Indonesia, on Monday, February 3.

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- Search and recovery teams on Monday resumed their perilous task of looking for victims from the recent volcanic eruptions of Indonesia's Mount Sinabung.

The death toll currently stands at 15 after plumes of ash spewed more than a mile into the sky Saturday and descended in superheated clouds.

Scalding ash up to 700 degrees in temperature raced down the slope in just two to three minutes, engulfing Sukameriah, a village close to the volcano's crater.

A funnel of smoke has continued to shoot up from the North Sumatra mountain, turning the sky above the color of murky gray ash.

Recovery teams ventured into the affected area Sunday, but they had to call off their search because conditions became unsafe.

Dozens of them set off again Monday morning -- a mixture of local rescue workers, military personnel and police -- after Indonesia's volcanology agency gave them clearance to proceed.

They will be conducting search operations within a 3-kilometer radius of the volcano, Taufik Kartiko, a disaster mitigation agency official, told CNN on Monday.

All of the dead, and at least three injured people, were found in Sukameriah, authorities said over the weekend.

It was the first time Mount Sinabung's volcanic output had resulted in deaths, the Jakarta Post reported.

Active volcano

Eruptions at Mount Sinabung are becoming common.

After about 400 years of minimal volcanic activity there, Sinabung erupted in 2010.

It has been emitting gas since September.

The volcanic volatility has meant an itinerant existence for those who live in this region a 2½ hour flight from Jakarta.

Last month, intensifying volcanic activity forced 22,000 people into temporary camps, but more than half were allowed to return home on Friday.

The latest volcanic activity has forced people to evacuate 16 villages, the Jakarta Post reported.

At least 30,000 people have been temporarily housed at 42 evacuation centers, according to Billy Sumuan, the emergency response director in Indonesia for the humanitarian group World Vision.

Saturday's victims lived within a 3-kilometer radius of the volcano.

Some were there checking on their homes or were there just to watch the eruptions, Nugroho said.

Others were students and volunteers in the region to help its beleaguered people, Sumuan said.

The government had issued the highest level of alert for the latest eruptions, and Sumuan noted that no one was supposed to go inside a 5-kilometer zone around the volcano.

Several government agencies and nongovernmental humanitarian groups were on the scene Sunday helping those affected, including World Vision, which Sumuan said was helping children with their trauma and hygiene.

The government and local churches handed out masks to everyone to mitigate breathing problems, he said.

Source: Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
skibboy
Member Avatar

Searches halted in Indonesia after Mount Sinabung eruptions kill 15

By Kathy Quiano and Jethro Mullen, CNN
February 4, 2014

Posted Image
The deadly eruption that claimed 15 lives on Saturday has created an enormous crater that runs down the volcano. The crater is a constant way out for the boiling lava that flows through the volcano.

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- Search and recovery teams have again halted their perilous task of looking for victims from the recent volcanic eruptions of Indonesia's Mount Sinabung, disaster officials said.

The death toll currently stands at 15 after plumes of ash spewed more than a mile into the sky Saturday and descended in superheated clouds.

Scalding ash up to 700 degrees in temperature raced down the slope in just two to three minutes, engulfing Sukameriah, a village close to the volcano's crater.

A funnel of smoke, visible from kilometers away, has continued to shoot up from the North Sumatra mountain, turning the sky above the color of murky gray ash.

Recovery teams -- a mixture of local rescue workers, military personnel and police -- ventured into the affected area Sunday and Monday, before calling off their search because conditions became unsafe.

The teams were conducting search operations within a 3-kilometer radius of the volcano, Taufik Kartiko, a disaster mitigation agency official, told CNN on Monday.

All of the dead, and at least three injured people, were found in Sukameriah, authorities said over the weekend.

It was the first time Mount Sinabung's volcanic output had resulted in deaths, the Jakarta Post reported.

Active volcano

Eruptions at Mount Sinabung are becoming common. After about 400 years of minimal volcanic activity there, Sinabung erupted in 2010.

It has been emitting gas since September.

The volcanic volatility has meant an itinerant existence for those who live in this region a 2½ hour flight from Jakarta.

Last month, intensifying volcanic activity forced 22,000 people into temporary camps, but more than half were allowed to return home on Friday.

The latest volcanic activity has forced people to evacuate 16 villages, the Jakarta Post reported.

At least 30,000 people have been temporarily housed at 42 evacuation centers, according to Billy Sumuan, the emergency response director in Indonesia for the humanitarian group World Vision.

Saturday's victims lived within a 3-kilometer radius of the volcano.

Some were there checking on their homes or were there just to watch the eruptions, Nugroho said.

Others were students and volunteers in the region to help its beleaguered people, Sumuan said.

The government had issued the highest level of alert for the latest eruptions, and Sumuan noted that no one was supposed to go inside a 5-kilometer zone around the volcano.

Several government agencies and nongovernmental humanitarian groups were on the scene Sunday helping those affected, including World Vision, which Sumuan said was helping children with their trauma and hygiene.

The government and local churches handed out masks to everyone to mitigate breathing problems, he said.

Kathy Quiano reported from Jakarta, and Jethro Mullen wrote from Hong Kong. CNN's Paul Devitt and Mark Morgenstein contributed to this report.

Source: Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
skibboy
Member Avatar

Sinabung eruption: Thousands flee Indonesia volcano

7 hours ago

Posted Image
Mount Sinabung had been dormant for more than 400 years when it erupted in 2010

Thousands of people living close to a volcano in Indonesia have been forced to flee their homes after it began erupting violently.

Mount Sinabung, on the island of Sumatra, became active again in 2010 but there has been more activity since 2 June.

Before 2010, the volcano had been dormant for more than 400 years.

At least 3,000 people living near its slopes have had to leave, including 1,200 on Monday alone.

Scientists worry the volcano could pose more dangers in the coming weeks.

Posted Image
The danger alert for Mount Sinabung is now at its highest level

Posted Image
Pyroclastic flows - surges of hot ash and rock - speed down the side of Mount Sinabung

Posted Image
A close-up of volcanic ash flowing down from Mount Sinabung

Posted Image
Thousands more people are likely to have to flee in the coming days

On Monday, there were at least 28 pyroclastic flows - surges of hot ash and gas that rush down the side of the mountain at high speed.

Gede Suantika, an Indonesian government volcanologist, said there were signs a lava dome was growing on Mount Sinabung.

Lava domes are pile-ups of magma near the vent at the top of a volcano, that have been known to collapse and flow down mountain sides at high speed.

Posted Image
This picture taken in Karo on June 14, 2015 shows Mounts Sinabung spewing volcanic ash

The danger alert for Mount Sinabung was raised to its highest level on 2 June.

Thousands more people are likely to have to evacuate the area in the coming days, a military commander in Sumatra told AFP.

At least 14 people died when pyroclastic flows from Mount Sinabung struck villages in February last year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Volcanic Eruptions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin by OverTheBelow